V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Jun 14, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #1,336 of 1,668
Do you have a Mac? You can check which codec it’s using by option-clicking the Bluetooth menu in the top bar.

Guide from Reddit:
  1. Make sure you have the Bluetooth icon in your menubar and headphones are paired.
  2. Start playing something on your headphones. Don't enable the microphone (that will force the usage of a "bad" headset codec), just play some music.
  3. Hold Alt/Option, click the Bluetooth icon, hover over the headphones in the list and check the codec.

Crossfade Wireless I advertised AAC support on the V-MODA site and its box but didn’t actually include it. After V-MODA realized this they silently scrubbed the “Master Codecs” advertising from its site and changed the box without alerting current owners about their mistake. It would be downright comical if Codex didn’t actually support AAC either.
I did and saw AptX, but still, it’s not relevant to the iPhone. I tried an old method of checking the codec on an iPhone through the Console app on Mac. Unfortunately I don’t have any developer tools to force AAC on the Mac in order to compare it to the iPhone’s playback.

Jun 14, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #1,337 of 1,668
I did and saw AptX, but still, it’s not relevant to the iPhone. I tried an old method of checking the codec on an iPhone through the Console app on Mac. Unfortunately I don’t have any developer tools to force AAC on the Mac in order to compare it to the iPhone’s playback.

You can download it here:
https://developer.apple.com/download/more/

You really only need an AppleID. It’s free to become a developer to access that page. You can also find a mirror of Bluetooth Explorer online to force AAC.

Jun 14, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #1,338 of 1,668
Jun 14, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #1,339 of 1,668
Alternatively, you can also use these Terminal commands to try to force AAC.

sudo defaults write bluetoothaudiod "Enable AptX codec" -bool false

sudo defaults write bluetoothaudiod "Enable AAC codec" -bool true

Jun 14, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #1,340 of 1,668
Is there an app on Mac to show the iOS 11 current playing codec?

Don’t believe so other than the guide I added on the other page. iOS will utilize AAC by default if the headphones support it. Best bet is to force it on a Mac. I believe MacOS also defaults to AAC when available so it may not be a great sign that it defaults to aptX with CF2WC.

Edit Here’s the link again to check an iPhone:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/how...n-ios-device-and-bluetooth-headphones.835289/

Looks like somebody used it just yesterday.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #1,341 of 1,668
I got the Codex Edition today. I’m actually not convinced that it uses AAC on the iPhone X. Sound is (according to memory) very identical. There was one track that I noticed had distortion on the CF2W. It’s “With You (Daniel Richard Remix)” on 00:16 just when the music drops. This drop is still distorted on the Codex. I have tested this song with a lot of bass-heavy sub-par headphones including the Beats Studio Wireless and none of them had this distortion. To dig in more, I tried audio latency on YouTube. My Beoplay H9i (which is definitely streaming on AAC) had about 0.5 second delay, while the Codex had up to 1 second of delay. On the other hand, and perhaps this is placebo effect, me and one other person felt that the Codex is less cloudy on the mids and vocal. Now, the question is, HOW DO WE KNOW IT’S REALLY USING AAC?!
Can't speak for Apple, but on my Galaxy S7 edge it lets me choose between sbc, aac, and aptx. It (obviously) won't let me select ldac or Samsung's he codec. When I tried my original crossfade wireless it only let's me select sbc. So, the new codex version definitely has aac. What's weird is that there really wasn't much of a difference among the three. Sure I can tell when going back and forth, but once the music is going and you're doing whatever you're doing, it doesn't really matter. Because I'm obsessive I leave it on aptX. What's weird is I'm hearing some crackle here and there in tracks that I didn't hear before, turns out the tracks had the crackle in them. The extra clarity in these is definitely noticable above the original Crossfade wireless, which I still love.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180615-001656_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180615-001656_Settings.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 0
Jun 15, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #1,342 of 1,668
The 1st Wireless supported AAC (and of course SBC). So I guess it is to be expected that only SBC support on the Galaxy S7.

The 2nd Wireless supported AptX (HD??) and the Codex Edition does the lot (ok, correction, except LDAC).

Jun 15, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #1,343 of 1,668
The 1st Wireless supported AAC (and of course SBC). So I guess it is to be expected that only SBC support on the Galaxy S7.

The 2nd Wireless supported AptX (HD??) and the Codex Edition does the lot (ok, correction, except LDAC).

It was found at a later date that the first CFWireless didn’t support AAC despite advertising to the contrary, which V-MODA has confirmed here:

https://v-moda.com/pages/codecs

Old news, but I just hope for the sake of V-MODA that Codex does actually utilize AAC.

Jun 15, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #1,344 of 1,668
Don’t believe so other than the guide I added on the other page. iOS will utilize AAC by default if the headphones support it. Best bet is to force it on a Mac. I believe MacOS also defaults to AAC when available so it may not be a great sign that it defaults to aptX with CF2WC.

Edit Here’s the link again to check an iPhone:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/how...n-ios-device-and-bluetooth-headphones.835289/

Looks like somebody used it just yesterday.
I finally got it working through Console, and Codex does show as codec 2 (AAC) indeed! Still, I'm inviting everybody to test out the particular part of the song I mentioned above on different headphones and then comparing them to CF2W on wireless mode. Thing is, that particular section doesn't distort using wired mode. So it was natural to suspect that it was the SBC codec, but unfortunately the AAC codec doesn't help either. Must be something with the amplifier.

Jun 15, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #1,345 of 1,668
Can't speak for Apple, but on my Galaxy S7 edge it lets me choose between sbc, aac, and aptx. It (obviously) won't let me select ldac or Samsung's he codec. When I tried my original crossfade wireless it only let's me select sbc. So, the new codex version definitely has aac. What's weird is that there really wasn't much of a difference among the three. Sure I can tell when going back and forth, but once the music is going and you're doing whatever you're doing, it doesn't really matter. Because I'm obsessive I leave it on aptX. What's weird is I'm hearing some crackle here and there in tracks that I didn't hear before, turns out the tracks had the crackle in them. The extra clarity in these is definitely noticable above the original Crossfade wireless, which I still love.
I think that if you listen carefully, you can see that SBC transmits slightly "cloudier" mids.

Jun 15, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #1,346 of 1,668
I finally got it working through Console, and Codex does show as codec 2 (AAC) indeed! Still, I'm inviting everybody to test out the particular part of the song I mentioned above on different headphones and then comparing them to CF2W on wireless mode. Thing is, that particular section doesn't distort using wired mode. So it was natural to suspect that it was the SBC codec, but unfortunately the AAC codec doesn't help either. Must be something with the amplifier.

Great news. The distortion is likely due to something with the amp or wireless tuning, assuming it’s different. (Perhaps there is more bass in wireless mode.)

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #1,347 of 1,668
I think that if you listen carefully, you can see that SBC transmits slightly "cloudier" mids.

Of the three, AAC is vastly superior. I’ve read that 352kbps aptX is roughly equivalent to 200kbps AAC, while iPhones transmit AAC at 264kbps.

Jun 15, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #1,348 of 1,668
Of the three, AAC is vastly superior. I’ve read that 352kbps aptX is roughly equivalent to 200kbps AAC, while iPhones transmit AAC at 264kbps.
I can confirm. In practice, I have noticed quite a difference between AptX, AptX Low Latency, and AAC. AAC has clearer, aka "rounder" bass.

Jun 15, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #1,349 of 1,668
It was found at a later date that the first CFWireless didn’t support AAC despite advertising to the contrary, which V-MODA has confirmed here:

https://v-moda.com/pages/codecs

Old news, but I just hope for the sake of V-MODA that Codex does actually utilize AAC.
Really? But I just asked Luca yesterday :frowning2:....

Here's what I found :-
  • AAC: 250 kbps
  • SBC: 328 kbps
  • aptX: 352 kbps
  • aptX HD: 576 kbps
  • LDAC: 990 kbps

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #1,350 of 1,668
I've read a couple of articles indicating blind tests and sound measurements between sbc and aptx indicate no audible difference. Has anyone seen any blind test results involving AAC, aptx hd and Ldac? It's not really enough to apply logic and theory, and what we think we hear about bitrate specs etc without solid evidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back