USPS, $10 billion in debt
Mar 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 45
I also prefer USPS over UPS being an overseas resident. It's already slow ass but as it is written snail mails possibly will be even slower than already are...lol.

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 45
I always ship USPS and prefer them to be shipped to me when I buy stuff. Although their tracking is absolutely horrible where most times I've used it I received the package before their tracking works they are quite reliable and not too expensive. Their shipping speeds aren't bad either for international.

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also like USPS. Slow (sometimes), non-trackable but always safe.

My overseas experiences also emphasise their reliability and regularity, as well as their cost effectiveness (an important factor for me with the weight of some equipment!).

From my experience (in Transport and Logistics) and the models adopted by Australia Post (Yes, I'm an Aussie) I'd say there are two key factors for them. One they have correctly identified...

"Post offices in some countries, including Italy and Japan, have boosted their sales by offering ancillary services, like banking." - Australia Post has gained significantly from diversification. They've still got a long way to go in improving their mail logistics efficiency but diversification has enabled them the timeframe required to do that in a quality manner by addressing the immediate cashflow issues of a reduced mail business.

The other factor is regarding downsizing. That needs to be carefully considered and targetted, particularly with "about half of (workers) will be eligible to retire in the next 10 years". Diversification could allow the timeframe for a more 'natural' downsizing over the coming decade through retirements, allowing for consistency, quality control and quality handover of USPS's skills and knowledge base contained within its workforce.

I hope they get it right - that way we can continue to use their cost effective, relaible (IMHO) services.

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My overseas experiences also emphasise their reliability and regularity, as well as their cost effectiveness (an important factor for me with the weight of some equipment!).

From my experience (in Transport and Logistics) and the models adopted by Australia Post (Yes, I'm an Aussie) I'd say there are two key factors for them. One they have correctly identified...

"Post offices in some countries, including Italy and Japan, have boosted their sales by offering ancillary services, like banking." - Australia Post has gained significantly from diversification. They've still got a long way to go in improving their mail logistics efficiency but diversification has enabled them the timeframe required to do that in a quality manner by addressing the immediate cashflow issues of a reduced mail business.

To bad about this act....
"the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 constrains the agency's operations. It prohibits USPS from closing small branches based soled on economic factors, and prevents the agency from expanding its services beyond postal delivery."
from the article posted.

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #11 of 45
good evening, i received a number of things from USA with usps.
i live in portugal and i´ve never had problems
aldo

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by drclaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To bad about this act....
"the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 constrains the agency's operations. It prohibits USPS from closing small branches based soled on economic factors, and prevents the agency from expanding its services beyond postal delivery."
from the article posted.

Legislation can be changed, even older legislation people have allowed to become 'entrenched' in their mindset. It really just depends on how much the current political arena is prepared to act, and act relatively quickly, on the emerging cost issue from a well recognised (internationally) change in patronage of the service.

Mar 3, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #13 of 45
hmmmm...
given the choice between UPS, Fed-Ex, and USPS, when ordering a medium-sized parcel...
i always choose USPS priority mail.
two days. cheap. never had one package lost.

i simply can't say that about UPS. what has brown done for me? they've delivered my packages to other people. they've left my package out in the weather (when i clearly have a front porch).

not to mention the whole difference with signature-upon-delivery packages. with USPS, you simply go pick it up at the post office next day. With UPS, you have to wait for one more delivery attempt, where they pick up the slip they left you the previous day. then on the third day, when all the stars align, you hopefully get your package.
at 6:30 pm.

so... yeah. it's disappointing to see the USPS in the red.
but, it's a government-run agency. what do you expect? hahaha.
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Legislation can be changed, even older legislation people have allowed to become 'entrenched' in their mindset. It really just depends on how much the current political arena is prepared to act, and act relatively quickly, on the emerging cost issue from a well recognised (internationally) change in patronage of the service.

I know that it can be changed, but chances are likely that USPS will have to downsize before our legislators are able to decide on a piece of legislation to fix it.

BTW I want to know why USPS doesn't get any of our tax money? Amtrak gets tax funds and I, and probably a lot of people, have never ridden on an Amtrak train. Mail is more important than slow, old passenger trains, to me at-least.

Mar 3, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #15 of 45
i am in new jersey.
i hate fedex as they failed me over 5 times. i dont even buy from sellers that use fedex.
ups had been pretty good but their service has gotten worse the past 2 years or so, at least in my area. on multiple occasions, they have left "no one home" note without ringing the doorbell (i have no idea why), then just leave the packages outside my door the next day even though the package needed signatures. i've actually thought about telling the seller that i did not receive the packages just to mess with ups.
usps priority mail has never failed me. their tracking system is not always on time but it's pretty decent. it's cheaper and i've gotten all my packages in 2 days (never 3) no matter where they came from, even california.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back