Using Stereo Receivers as a headphone amp?
Aug 7, 2011 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Joakcbasse

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. Today, at my local thrift store, I saw these 2 items there:

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX8511-TX-8511-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B00005T3WF/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1312699849&sr=1-1

http://www.topdjgear.com/denavprolog1.html

Right now, I'm running a foobar--> uDAC1 ---> Sennheiser HD600 configuration..... Would these represent considerable upgrades if I used the uDAC as a DAC, and then used one of these receivers as an amp for the headphones? .... Heck, is this even possible? 

If so, do I use the "phono" inputs on these stereo receivers to connect from my uDAC's RCA outputs? 

Sorry, I know I sound like a huge noob, but do you guys have any guidance you can give me on this subject?

Thanks!

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 8
You sure can and both even have 1/4 headphone jack on the front. Do not use the phone inputs since that is for turntables only. Use the CD input.

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Yes, give a receiver a try!

It'll also give you a way to run speakers if you want to.

Hey Uncle Erik! I've lurked a lot on these boards, and I've always enjoyed your posts. Very informative and down-to-earth. 

Are there any general rules for using stereo receivers as headphone amps? 
I know a lot of people said it's good to look for receivers from the 1970s or so... that the quality of their components were strong back then. However, these 2 receivers that I saw at my local thrift store are fairly new (in relative terms.... they're not from the 70s), I believe. Is there a big difference, if I'm using them as headphone amps?

Is there anything else I should look out for, in general,  in regards to stereo receivers? 

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks! :)

It's hard to say, since there are so many receivers out there. A couple manufacturers I love are Marantz and NAD, but that doesn't mean the rest are bad.

You might want to take a look around www.fmtunerinfo.com. They have lots of reviews. Also, run searches at AudioKarma - the members there have a deep knowledge of old tuners.

Thrift store aside, look through your local CraigsList for old receivers. There are lots of good ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back