Using DT880/990 Pro headband on '05 models
Jun 4, 2010 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Reputator

500+ Head-Fier
So my DT990 2005's headband has turned to a sticky, melting, disintegrating mess and I'm looking to replace it. Beyerdynamic sells a replacement headband but it's the old Pro model with the snap buttons. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to use this older, thicker headband on any newer model headphones Beyer makes.

Anyone experienced with this?

Jun 4, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #3 of 17
Sweet, so you just fit it over the metal tabs on either side? Looks good, I think I'll buy it then. Thanks.

Jun 4, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
So my DT990 2005's headband has turned to a sticky, melting, disintegrating mess and I'm looking to replace it. Beyerdynamic sells a replacement headband but it's the old Pro model with the snap buttons. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to use this older, thicker headband on any newer model headphones Beyer makes.

Anyone experienced with this?

Quote:
I've done it.

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/96/dsc00394dt.jpg

I just cut the other headband, and the headband for the pro models snaps on easily. 

Edit: inserting image didnt work.

I don't understand what happened you your headbands?   

Could you explain what lead to the deterioration and possibly what caused it?

I'll post your pic Xennon.  Did you replace the headband for the same reason as Reputator?

Could you show a pic of what it looks like with the snap on band removed so we could see how much of the old band you had to remove?

Jun 4, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 17
Not sure how else to describe it, the cheap plastic black coating they put on the headband is sticky all over, and attempts to wipe it clean only cause it to disintegrate and rub/peel off. For now I have saran wrap covering it so it doesn't try to bond with my hair and become one with my skull. I like the headphones well enough but not that much. I need to be able to take them off sometimes.

I really wish you could get a real leather replacement band like they use on MANUFAKTUR headphones but no such luck.

Jun 4, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
Not sure how else to describe it, the cheap plastic black coating they put on the headband is sticky all over, and attempts to wipe it clean only cause it to disintegrate and rub/peel off. For now I have saran wrap covering it so it doesn't try to bond with my hair and become one with my skull. I like the headphones well enough but not that much. I need to be able to take them off sometimes.

I really wish you could get a real leather replacement band like they use on MANUFAKTUR headphones but no such luck.

Hi

Did you buy the headphones new?

How old are they?

USG

Jun 5, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 17
Just two things at completely separate occasions: alcohol and goo gone. But that was after it was already sticky/melty.

Jun 6, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 17
Sorry I did not have time to answer to your questions. 

Quote:
Sweet, so you just fit it over the metal tabs on either side?

Yes, I had to stretch it a bit in order to surround the metal tabs as the upper part of the band is relatively thick due to the snap fasteners. That's all you have to do.

Quote:
I don't understand what happened you your headbands?

Could you explain what lead to the deterioration and possibly what caused it?

I'll post your pic Xennon. Did you replace the headband for the same reason as Reputator?

Could you show a pic of what it looks like with the snap on band removed so we could see how much of the old band you had to remove?

I've changed the headband for the same reason. I bought the headphones in 2007, after 1.5 years I realized that using the headphones when one's hairs are wet harms the headband. It rots easily even if one only does that mistake. As for your last question, I totally removed the old headband by separating it from above. The old headband should be removed completely as the Pro headband will not merge before doing it. 

The old one:

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #11 of 17
Great pics.

There's no doubt that it  deteriorated badly.  Was it sticky?

Did you ask Beyer if they would replace it?  That shouldn't happen.

It's hard to believe that water from wet hair can deteriorate plastic.......  were you using gel?

Was it in the sun?  UV can deteriorate plastic.

My original '03 headband is absolutely fine.  I wonder how many other bands have deteriorated like this?

USG

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #12 of 17
It was sticky as well. No, I do not (did not) use gel, did not ask beyer for that as I thought moisture may cause it. By the way, it was never directly in the sun. I remember some other people writing similar problems in head-fi, they might write their own experiences too. 

Jun 6, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
It was sticky as well. No, I do not (did not) use gel, did not ask beyer for that as I thought moisture may cause it. By the way, it was never directly in the sun. I remember some other people writing similar problems in head-fi, they might write their own experiences too. 

That really sucks because it looks like I have exactly the same headband on my new T-1s.

Can't be moisture though.....  plastic is impervious to water..... 

USG

Jun 7, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #14 of 17
Nickchen said in T1 topic: "Insider info from Heilbronn: They say, Beyer is going to exchange the [edit] HEADBAND 770/880/990ish pad of the T1 against a new developed thicker one, that is more comfortable. And they'll also do it belated also with all sold models."

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/440799/beyerdynamic-to-launch-new-top-headphone-at-ifa-called-t1/3150

I do not know if this is a reason but I don't think so. I am sure there will be no problem with yours. 

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #15 of 17
I got my dt990 used so im not sure how old they are,but i have the same sticky headband problem.
trying to clean them is a waste of time,it just disintegrates into little black pieces as you clean it.
i just wrapped a thin cloth around it until i can get a replacement.

dosen't seem to affect the s.q. though ,lol.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back