Use a standard USB DAC with a Nexus 7 (step by step guide)
Apr 5, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #106 of 143
Guys,

I am hoping to use my Nexus7 as a way to browse my network music and pipe it to an external DAC and Amp.

Having read through this thread I am a bit confused as to what the general consensus is...

1) Are the instructions in the 1st post up to date?
2) Which Kernel and ROM are the ONEs to use?
3) Is charging and USB output at the same time possible? Any particular OTG cable for this?

Thanks

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #110 of 143
I have a Nexus 7 on 4.2.2 with the Faux 123-grouper-422 Kernel and CyanogenMod Version 10.1-20130422-Nightly-grouper

I tried the Nexus 7 > USB OTG >JDS Labs O2 DAC/AMP > headphones and it did not work. I also tried it with the USB Audio Recorder Pro App and it did not work. The app did not even recognize any USB devices. 

I installed the Faux 123 because it is allegedly the overall "best" one out there right now but does not work for USB audio. Not sure if anyone else has the Faux Kernal working on the Nexus 7. 

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

Next step is finding a kernal that does work but then again it could be the DAC/AMP not working with this set-up. 

I should receive my Pico Upsampling DAC today or tomorrow and will wait to try it with that before I put a new kernel on it. 

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #111 of 143
Ok so I just received my Apex Glacier and the above mentioned set up I have on my Nexus 7 is working via the USB digital out > USB OTG cable > USB to mini to the DAC in of the Apex Glacier. So I get to keep the Faux 123 kernel, YES!!

Wow does it sound lush. Listening to MOG and with some Denon AH-D2000. I had no idea that something could sound so good, so glad I found this site.

May 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #112 of 143
Just contributing my setup for anyone else trying to get a working combination of a Nexus 7 and a USB DAC:

ROM/kernel: USB ROM http://mehrvarz.github.io/nexus-7-usbrom/ (can also use the standalone kernel with other ROMS I think: http://mehrvarz.github.io/usb-host-mode-power-management-nexus7/)

Using a OTG Y-cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130904384121 so I can hook up a power source (wall adapter or a portable battery pack)

I've tested 3 portable DACs so far:

The Fiio E17 and ODAC (standalone DAC, no amp) bought from JDS Labs works and I can get output. Both are hot-swappable; ie, I can unplug it and plug it back in and it will work without a reboot. Note: I had to hook up an external power supply to my OTG Y-cable for the ODAC to be recognized. 

The Schiit Modi does NOT work with this setup, although it is recognized by the Nexus 7 it has no output. I have an Audioengine D1 on order that I will test when it arrives. 

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #116 of 143
Check out the app "USB Audio Recorder Pro". While it doesn't support MP3s yet, I can play FLACs to my uDAC with no rooting/unlocking at all. The UI isn't as pretty as most other music playing apps, but it works flawlessly for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back