Use 3-pin or 4-pin XLR?
Sep 18, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #16 of 26
There was no existing standard for connecting balanced headphones. As to why headroom picked the connectors they did, it was because of how the amp was designed. They took 2 of their top of the line amps, and replaced the output connectors with combo jacks, and added xlr inputs. This basically let you use the amps as either 2 separate single ended amps, or as 1 big balanced amp. So it was mostly for convenience. The combo jack was a very convenient solution so they went with it.

Sometimes decisions are made for expedience rather than the result of an overarching plan.

Sep 20, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #17 of 26
Is there an official (or unofficial) wiring standard for the 4-pin XLR? Which pin goes to which wire?

Sep 20, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #18 of 26
The K1000 configuration is the De Facto but not De Jure standard pin configuration.

That is:

Pin 1 = Left +
Pin 2 = Left -
Pin 3 = Right +
Pin 4 = Right -

I think. The TakeT also uses a 4pin XLR but IIRC the pins 3 and 4 are the other way around from the K1000, meaning that the right channel will be out of phase on a TakeT when using a K1000 wired socket.

Oct 5, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #19 of 26
Well since 4 pins dont have seperation of ground wires would the sound quality be any different. I am thinking of doing all 4 pins and having a 4pin to dual 3pin adapter for need be. But maybe I should go the other way around.

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well since 4 pins dont have seperation of ground wires would the sound quality be any different. I am thinking of doing all 4 pins and having a 4pin to dual 3pin adapter for need be. But maybe I should go the other way around.

the sound quality would be no different, since balanced headphones do not use the third pin in each xlr
wink.gif
there are only 4 wires, u know...

it makes 100% sense to rewire all to 4-pin, and use adapters as needed for 2x3-pin

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #21 of 26
I wasnt sure since some headphones have more wires than others. Like the new Grado cable. Thanks
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #22 of 26
So, how would I build a 4 pin XLR to 1/4" jack? Seeing that there is not ground labeled, only 2+ and 2- pinouts, how would i do this? Can someone just tell me which wires go where, i'm a cable newbie just trying to recable my Q701, ordered all the parts, just don't know where to solder :p

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #23 of 26
Crossing the grounds in a balanced amp would be a VERY bad idea. If an amp doesn't have a single-ended output built-in (such as the Schiit balanced amp), then the headphones have to be re-cabled.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #24 of 26
I answered my own question:

Pins 2 and 4 go to the Sleeve of the TRS (Ground), and then Pin 1 goes to the tip, and Pin 3 goes to the ring.
http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2011/11/balanced-to-single-ended-heaphone.html

Site is legendary, using their guide to instal the 4 Pin XLR on my Q701's, legends i tell you.

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #25 of 26
I have a 4 pin jack in my new headphones because ZMF had a used pair of Modified Fostex's with a 1/4" headphone jack on it.  I plan on getting a balanced amp/dac down the road but was wondering if I was going to be enjoying clearer music in the meantime.  Any thoughts?  Does it have to go 4 pin to 4 pin to get better sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back