USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace
Apr 2, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #1,021 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The way I understand what Steve said is slightly different:
Scenario1: If the async usb converter doesn't draw power from the usb port (like his Pace car), then the usb cable doesn't matter
Scenario 2: if the usb converter draws its power from the usb port (such as the stock hiface), then the usb cable might impact the sonic performance.

In scenario 2 a good usb extender cable can help get rid of some high frequency distortion in the usb power lines. If the usb cable is set to act as a low pass filter, it can improve (a little bit) the power from the usb port. Of course, such a low pass filter won't get rid of all the "junk" (ripples, spikes, ...) but it could at least in theory get rid of the high frequency content.

Low-pass filtering of the DC power using the USB cable is probably not a good thing. It would be better to put more bulk capacitance right at the HiFace.

A custom cable that breaks-out right before the HiFace and adds bulk capacitance and HF capacitance (.1uFd) might help a lot.

Quote:

Hiface, jkeny's idea is more elegant. Instead of trying to cure the usb power supply, one can just bypass the usb power from the computer and use an external 5V power supply.

This makes a lot more sense. Just cut the cable right before the HiFace (the DC power wires) and insert your own DC power supply. A Paul Hynes regulator might be just the ticket. I'm giving a bunch of these a try myself.

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #1,022 of 1,712
Steve why don't you design/make a USB cable that can accept a DC power supply?
And then design/make a PS for hiface.
We'll all be very grateful!

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #1,023 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioengr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... Just cut the cable right before the HiFace (the DC power wires) and insert your own DC power supply.

Just a question: Why not cut the cable on the computer side instead of just before the HiFace? Or why not remove the power pins from the USB cable's male end so it doesn't tap power from the computer at all?

USG

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #1,024 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steve why don't you design/make a USB cable that can accept a DC power supply?
And then design/make a PS for hiface.
We'll all be very grateful!

Eh, hello I think that's what I'm doing or did I miss something
confused.gif
??????

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #1,025 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a question: Why not cut the cable on the computer side instead of just before the HiFace? Or why not remove the power pins from the USB cable's male end so it doesn't tap power from the computer at all?

USG

It doesn't matter where you interrupt the power - there is no current flowing in the unconnected 5V wire.

Apr 2, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #1,026 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh, hello I think that's what I'm doing or did I miss something
confused.gif
??????

Hello John, would you make these components available as a package?

Apr 2, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #1,030 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please explain what a package of components would consist of?

John,
as far as I understood it would be the modded hiFace + modded USB cable...
if you had a external PS it could be part of the package...
best regards
André

Apr 2, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #1,031 of 1,712
I mean a USB cable that can be fed by an external PS that can connect the hiface to a computer and an external PS.

ADD and as André mentioned it will come with the PS as a package

Apr 2, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #1,033 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by reverendo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John,
as far as I understood it would be the modded hiFace + modded USB cable...
if you had a external PS it could be part of the package...
best regards
André

Yes, you can get all this from me - why not PM me?

Apr 2, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #1,034 of 1,712
Yes John but I think the PS could be part of the package.
Not a battery supply but a mains option.

Apr 2, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #1,035 of 1,712
Is that all? Why don't you just say this? You have me confused with all the beating around the bush. Yep, I'll provide a PS as part of the package. Batteries are just my preferred option but anything can provide the 3.3V.

Are you also suggesting that it should all be boxed in a nice aluminium enclosure with a nice logo on the front? I'd have to charge 2,000 dollars for that I think
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back