USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace
Mar 31, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #991 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowlord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i tried to supply my hiface with 5V battery power, but i didn't notice a difference.
Actually i hoped that it would lower the noise floor a bit. I have a clearly audible hiss as well as a hum with any device i have (hiface, monitor 01 USD, esi maya 44 soundcard).
My other sources don't have this probelm. The dac is silent too when i disconnect the spdif cable.

How exactly did you connect in the 5V supply? Did you maintain the ground connection from the PC/laptop through to your HiFace, etc?

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #992 of 1,712
ïðîñòèòóòêè âèäåî ïîðíóõà ñ î÷åíü ìîëîäûìè Ñüîòðåòü áåñïëàòíî ôèëüìû îðãàçì âèäåî ïîðíî-áèáëèîòåêà <a href="http://razvedemkrasivo.ru/bianca/pizda-krupnym-planom-foto.html">åáóò ñîâñåì ìàëåíüêèõ ôîòî</a> ìîëîäåíüêèå ïîðíî õåíòàé îíëàéí áåñïëàòíî ãðóáîå ïîðíî ôîòî àíóñîâ ïîðíî ñ ìîðñêèìè æèâîòíûìè [LINK ïîðíóøêà]http://razvedemkrasivo.ru/bianca/bor....html]ïîðíóøêà áåñïëàòíî[/LINK] ñìîòðåòü ïîðíóõó áåç ñìñ ïèñüêè îäèííàäöàòèëåòíèõ

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #993 of 1,712
Slim.a, your the cable man & chief reviewer around here - want to do a review? I'll send them to you & while I'm at it I could send you a modded HiFace for review but would need some security that I'll get it back. When are you getting your repaired HiFace back?

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #994 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Slim.a, your the cable man & chief reviewer around here - want to do a review? I'll send them to you & while I'm at it I could send you a modded HiFace for review but would need some security that I'll get it back. When are you getting your repaired HiFace back?

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #996 of 1,712
Quote:

John I guarantee you'll get it back!
slim.a is FIRST CLASS!

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #997 of 1,712
I forgot to mention it's not only Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio but also Daniel Weiss of Weiss Engineering LTD who also states that there is no need to use expensive USB/FW cables with their asynchronous DACs.
Now if two of the top DAC makers say that......
FWIW I have done basic tests with no cable, a USB hub and a cheap USB Male/Female cable and I found no differences with the hiface.
However when I tried an upmarket USB cable with my Buffalo which is not asynchronous there was a marked difference.
That's all I have to say about USB/FW cables, and I apologize to slim.a for dragging his thread.

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #998 of 1,712
Quote:

That would be me that originated the 3.3V mod & Hawkhead bought a modded unit from me - his report is here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6443499-post740.html

Guys, on the whole USB cable issue I'm about to put together two USB solutions
- a male to female connector with a 5V external power supply connector i.e the USB 5V is not connected through from the PC to the HiFace. This allows a cable of choice to be used & a 5V supply of choice to be used.

- a USB cable based on Belden microphone 2 core twisted pair with braided shield. Again, this has no USB 5V carried in the cable but has a connector that allows an external 5V supply at the female end i.e. the end that connects to the HiFace.

Anybody interested?

And yes the external 5V makes a difference to the sound even with the 3.3V mods already applied. The 5V is used internally in the HiFace to power the DIT4192 chip which is responsible for doing the conversion from I2S to SPDIF

Quote:

Hi jkeny,

I will be glad to review such a usb cable. It seems like an excellent idea/concept.

However, I am still waiting for Marco to tell me when I will receive back my Hiface.

Edit -- If the price is reasonable, I will just buy one from you and review it whenever I receive back the hiface. I will send you a PM.

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #1,000 of 1,712
Quote:

Slim, I sent you a PM before reading this post. I'll send you on a unit for review & a USB extender with external power connector. PM me your address.

Hi jkeny,

Thanks for the offer. I sent you a PM.

By the way, I have just heard back from Marco. I should get back my hiface next week.

Well, it seems that I will have a lot of reviewing to do in the next weeks
o2smile.gif

1. I am replacing my dac19mk3/C2C with the newer DAC19DSP/C2
2. rosgr63 sent me a few optical digital cables to try
3. Artisan Silver Cables sent me their Mark2 sennheiser cable to try
4. And now, there is your usb connector for the hiface to try ...

... I guess I will be pretty busy
o2smile.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #1,001 of 1,712
Quote:

How exactly did you connect in the 5V supply? Did you maintain the ground connection from the PC/laptop through to your HiFace, etc?

yes, i maintained the ground connection from the pc.
i simply cut the +5V line and connected it to the battery pack i made. then i spliced into the ground wire, so usb and battery pack share the same ground.
i used a cheap usb extension cable though.

I actually don't know why i have so much noise in the first place.
I think i try my laptop as source on the weekend and see if it is the usb port of the pc.

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #1,002 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowlord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, i maintained the ground connection from the pc.
i simply cut the +5V line and connected it to the battery pack i made. then i spliced into the ground wire, so usb and battery pack share the same ground.
i used a cheap usb extension cable though.

That configuration is correct. I doubt it has anything to do with the cost of the cable as once you remove the main current carrying wire, the major source of noise is removed. It may well be your PC's PS & a dirty ground?

Quote:

I actually don't know why i have so much noise in the first place.
I think i try my laptop as source on the weekend and see if it is the usb port of the pc.

Try the laptop n battery power too.

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #1,003 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The point is as Steve N has mentioned before you don't need a special or audiophile grade cable for asynchronous transports or DACs.
He also uses a very cheap USB cable for hiface with very good results.
I am only repeating his comments which I also believe are wise, I am not trying to be offensive as I am also a cable believer!

This assumption assumes that the power to the USB converter is good and not dependent on the cable or USB port.

Power on a USB port is never high-quality, therefore improving the power feed to a device that is powered from the USB port may help.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #1,004 of 1,712
Why nobody can make a reasonably priced ($100-150) asynchronous USB-SPDIF converter with an external power?

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #1,005 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioengr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This assumption assumes that the power to the USB converter is good and not dependent on the cable or USB port.

Power on a USB port is never high-quality, therefore improving the power feed to a device that is powered from the USB port may help.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Thanks Steve.
That means as I understand it, that improving/upgrading the USB cable would not improve the power supply as the USB port has poor quality power to start with. I am thinking about standard type USB cables without external power supply and asynchronous DAC's, Transports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back