USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace
Mar 31, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #976 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It almost impossible to turn a computers +5V USB supply to a good digital power supply.

I totally agree with you. It would take a lot to totally filtrate the +5V usb supply. Ideally, a perfect usb to spdif converter should not draw any power (or disconnect) from the usb port.
However, I was just trying to point out that in theory the quality of usb extender could have an impact (good or bad) on the performance of the hiface.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #977 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While the usb extender could be a good idea to relieve the stress(weight) from the usb port, it could also prove beneficial to the sound quality if there is any kind of passive filtering of the power drawn from the usb port. For example if the lines that carry the power in the usb cable have a high capacitance, it would filter out some high frequency garbage generated by the power supply of the computer. Of course, this is only speculation and only my opinion.

Sorry to hear that Slim.a. Did you get the time to try removing completely the battery on your laptop and plug it directly into the power filter while using the HiFace ? Did you notice any changes ? Thanks.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #978 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to hear that Slim.a. Did you get the time to try removing completely the battery on your laptop and plug it directly into the power filter while using the HiFace ? Did you notice any changes ? Thanks.

Sorry, I didn't have time to try that as I have been pretty busy these past few days. And now that I have sent back the hiface to m2tech for repair, I won't have the chance to test for a little bit of time...

By the way, since I sent the Hiface, I have to listen with the Teralink-X (or Musiland 01 usd) ... and it is a pretty painful.
After getting used to the Hiface, now it seems to me that Teralink-X completely "sucks". The Musiland is even worse as it sounds lifeless. i couldn't listen to it more than a few minutes. While waiting for getting the Hiface back, I ordered the Teralink X2 which according to Shahrose is close to the Hiface.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #979 of 1,712
It would be interesting to try it out when you get the HiFace back. In the meantime, I trully feel your pain. I just can't listen seriously anymore other transport, be it adaptive USB or optical from the Macbook to the Lavry, or my modded SACD transport. They all just seem to play "wrong" compared to the HiFace.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regal
It almost impossible to turn a computers +5V USB supply to a good digital power supply.

Some apparently disagree with your statement. Probably not the ultimate power supply available, but could give some fairly decent results: USB power supply

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #980 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some apparently disagree with your statement. Probably not the ultimate power supply available, but could give some fairly decent results: USB power supply

Some time back I tried to build a USB filter to my HiFace. With a DIY filter I managed to get the power quite clean from a ThinkPad notebook (on AC), but when I connected the filter to my Acer PC the power still looked like crap on the scope. In fact, with filter the Acer was still worse than ThinkPad without filter. I tried some more filter mods, but could not get rid of the Acer "spikes". I finally gave up and introduced a simpel battery supply instead.

I did not do any A/B, but I'm quite sure I got some minor improvement.

Later I read post #130 of this thread on DIYaudio, and it seems as if significant improvements require replacement of HiFace internal 3.3V too.

I'm now considering the 3.3V mod in the above linked thread, but plan to get a backup HiFace first... Did anyone else try the 3.3V mod or perhaps try to add a filter on the HiFace 3.3V?

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #981 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulfp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some time back I tried to build a USB filter to my HiFace. With a DIY filter I managed to get the power quite clean from a ThinkPad notebook (on AC), but when I connected the filter to my Acer PC the power still looked like crap on the scope. In fact, with filter the Acer was still worse than ThinkPad without filter. I tried some more filter mods, but could not get rid of the Acer "spikes". I finally gave up and introduced a simpel battery supply instead.

I did not do any A/B, but I'm quite sure I got some minor improvement.

Later I read post #130 of this thread on DIYaudio, and it seems as if significant improvements require replacement of HiFace internal 3.3V too.

I'm now considering the 3.3V mod in the above linked thread, but plan to get a backup HiFace first... Did anyone else try the 3.3V mod or perhaps try to add a filter on the HiFace 3.3V?

thanks someone, used a 3.3V battery directly to the clock. it quite a few pages back.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #982 of 1,712
This is the USB extension I was talking about - see pics.

I don't know whether or not it will affect HiFace's performance for the better or for the worst...
I only bought it to avoid the high tension the COAX cable would put on the usb port when used directly with the HiFace.

This usb extension and the coax cable fom AQVOX will be used with the HiFace to link the laptop to the DAC.

PS: I wouldn't have payed this much money for the usb extension but every other USB cable manufacturer that had more reasonable prices (40-50-60 euros) didn't accept my demand and they said they only make USB cables that link DACs to computers.

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #984 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by himynameis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the USB extension I was talking about - see pics.

I don't know whether or not it will affect HiFace's performance for the better or for the worst...
I only bought it to avoid the high tension the COAX cable would put on the usb port when used directly with the HiFace.

This usb extension and the coax cable fom AQVOX will be used with the HiFace to link the laptop to the DAC.

PS: I wouldn't have payed this much money for the usb extension but every other USB cable manufacturer that had more reasonable prices (40-50-60 euros) didn't accept my demand and they said they only make USB cables that link DACs to computers.

I got mine for $5.50 from US plus shipping.
Of course it doesn't look as nice as yours.
Does the AQVOX filter the power supply?

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #985 of 1,712
@noinimod I wasn't impressed either by the looks of it.
The USB plugs look big and have a feel of quality when you plug them in.
The cable isn't that impressive when felt in hand.
Still, this is no means of evaluating a cable - by looks and tactile sensations.
I suppose it will be a good cable, AQVOX themselves say that "This audiophile highend USB cable is for sure one of the best, if not THE best USB cable on the market."

Sadly, I have no other hi-end usb cables so that I could make a comparison of any kind...

@rosgr63 cables that cost 5-10 bucks can be found anywhere but I seriously doubt that any of them could even be considered of audiophile quality.

I have Wireworld power supply cables (Aurora & Electra) on their way to be delivered and they are supposed to filter the power by design & structure alone (to a certain extent...). But as far as USB cables go, I've never heard of one that could filter the power supplied by the USB port.

The AQVOX USB cable details are:
- 90-ohms Impedance corrected and audio optimized audiophile High End USB 2.0 (1.1 kompatible) cable.
- Massive full metall USB plugs
- 24k gold plated contacts
- silver solder joints
- double shielding is optimized for low inductivity and capacity.
- No ferrite-elements.

I have no way to verify if my cable has all of the above but I generally trust and respect german products so I hope this one is good also.

Mar 31, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #986 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by himynameis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@rosgr63 cables that cost 5-10 bucks can be found anywhere but I seriously doubt that any of them could even be considered of audiophile quality.

The point is as Steve N has mentioned before you don't need a special or audiophile grade cable for asynchronous transports or DACs.
He also uses a very cheap USB cable for hiface with very good results.
I am only repeating his comments which I also believe are wise, I am not trying to be offensive as I am also a cable believer!

Mar 31, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #987 of 1,712
ñìîòðåòü ïîðíî áåç ñêà÷èâàíèÿ è ñìñ ñêà÷àòü ýðîòèêó áåñïëàòíî http://vernifoto.ru/markiza/*****-s-...devochkoy.html ïîñìîòðåòü áåçïëàòíî áåç ðåãèñòðàöèè è ñìñ ïîðíî ñåêñóàëüíîå íàñèëèå <a href="http://vernifoto.ru/markiza/dp-free.html">ñêà÷àòü áåñïëàòíî è áåç ðåãèñòðàöèè ïîðíî</a> ïðîñìîòðåòü ïîðíóõó íà ôîòî áåñïëàòíî xxxvideo âëàãàëèùå îíëàéí îíëàéí ïîðíî ïðîñìîòð êëèïû ïðîñìîòð ïîðíî áåç ñìñ è êîäîâ [LINK ïðîñìîòð]http://vernifoto.ru/markiza/erot.html]ïðîñìîòð ïîðíî ðîëèêîâ áåñïëàòíî[/LINK] ñêà÷àòü ïîðíî ãååâ áåñïëàòíî áåç ñìñ ýðîðàññêàçû

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #988 of 1,712
i tried to supply my hiface with 5V battery power, but i didn't notice a difference.
Actually i hoped that it would lower the noise floor a bit. I have a clearly audible hiss as well as a hum with any device i have (hiface, monitor 01 USD, esi maya 44 soundcard).
My other sources don't have this probelm. The dac is silent too when i disconnect the spdif cable.

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #989 of 1,712
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks someone, used a 3.3V battery directly to the clock. it quite a few pages back.

That would be me that originated the 3.3V mod & Hawkhead bought a modded unit from me - his report is here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6443499-post740.html

Quote:

Sound

I used three tracks for comparison (from memory)
Eva Cassidy - People Get ready
Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water (made in Japan)
Travis - Turn

The first thing that struck me was the bass - deeper with incredible control, a very dark background, more detail especially noticeable on cymbals, larger soundstage. I could have been in the room with Eva (nature is cruel sometimes :[)
Overall a very positive jump in quality

Guys, on the whole USB cable issue I'm about to put together two USB solutions
- a male to female connector with a 5V external power supply connector i.e the USB 5V is not connected through from the PC to the HiFace. This allows a cable of choice to be used & a 5V supply of choice to be used.

- a USB cable based on Belden microphone 2 core twisted pair with braided shield. Again, this has no USB 5V carried in the cable but has a connector that allows an external 5V supply at the female end i.e. the end that connects to the HiFace.

Anybody interested?

And yes the external 5V makes a difference to the sound even with the 3.3V mods already applied. The 5V is used internally in the HiFace to power the DIT4192 chip which is responsible for doing the conversion from I2S to SPDIF

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #990 of 1,712
That sounds like a good idea John!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back