USB signal improvement devices (iFi purifiers, AQ jitterbug, Schiit Eitr etc.)
Nov 28, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #16 of 50
unfortunately no optical out on the laptop I use, so would need a usb to optical converter box, which may add more complications. My desktop PC has a soundcard with optical out, never tried it as don't do any serious music listening there, an experiment for another day perhaps out of curiosity.
My 2nd system uses usb from a windows pc to a breeze du u8 that i bought used for $70, converts usb to optical with tcxo clocks, and the dac has a tcxo so its a nice jitter free optical connection with the isolation so i can run the dac and amp on an isolation transformer. Great digital sound without spending alot.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #17 of 50
unfortunately no optical out on the laptop I use, so would need a usb to optical converter box, which may add more complications. My desktop PC has a soundcard with optical out, never tried it as don't do any serious music listening there, an experiment for another day perhaps out of curiosity.

Yeah in that case then standard usb cable is fine, no gadgets needed, i forgot Qutest has galvanic iso on usb input anyway.

Nov 29, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #18 of 50
I think buying a pc with optical is probably more useful..

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #19 of 50
I have got a 2Qute with galvanic isolation. Btw Chord suggests to use the RCA input for the very best result vs coax or optical.
I also use an iPurifier 3, and it definitely adds clarity to the picture even with a Chord DAC and galvanic isolation. I was very sceptical before trying the iPurifier 3, but the difference is undeniable. Not night and day, but obvious enough to justify the £90 I paid for it.

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #20 of 50
I have a jitterbug on HPA8 but im negative on purifiers. The real solution are high quality music servers. These purifiers can actually add noise.
I too use a AQ JitterBug I sincerely believe I hear a difference with my PC although many say it is completely useless or possibly even a detriment to the audio chain.

Nov 29, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #21 of 50
I have got a 2Qute with galvanic isolation. Btw Chord suggests to use the RCA input for the very best result vs coax or optical.
I also use an iPurifier 3, and it definitely adds clarity to the picture even with a Chord DAC and galvanic isolation. I was very sceptical before trying the iPurifier 3, but the difference is undeniable. Not night and day, but obvious enough to justify the £90 I paid for it.
I'm still sans iPurifier on Qutest, will put it back after a few more days and report back. On the V-Dac improvement was very obvious, but no galvanic isolation on that.

Nov 29, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #22 of 50
I too use a AQ JitterBug I sincerely believe I hear a difference with my PC although many say it is completely useless or possibly even a detriment to the audio chain.
I am curious if jitterbug or ifi silencer at the computer end would work differently to the purifier at the dac end as intention with those gadgets is to stop noise from usb socket getting into cable in the first place.

Nov 29, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #23 of 50
I'm still sans iPurifier on Qutest, will put it back after a few more days and report back. On the V-Dac improvement was very obvious, but no galvanic isolation on that.
I was wondering to try optical with my 2Qute, but reading about jitter and the manual of my 2Qute convinced me to stick with RCA. The difference can't be that huge.
IMG_20181129_213908310.jpg

I am curious if jitterbug or ifi silencer at the computer end would work differently to the purifier at the dac end as intention with those gadgets is to stop noise from usb socket getting into cable in the first place.
When I reviewed the iPurifier 3 I was hoping to sell my Jitterbug, or keep my Jitterbug and sell the iPurifier 3. I had to discover, they work the best together. These are my findings on this topic.

Dec 4, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #24 of 50
Today I've put the iPurifier back in. Can I hear any immediate change? No. But nothing is taken away, so I will keep it in for a while and listen more.
My conclusion then right now is that they do work, but whether you need it depends upon the DAC you have. With my V-DAC2, the benefits were obvious, with the Qutest not so.
Hope this is helpful for someone.

Dec 24, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #26 of 50
I have an iPurifier2. With the Sabaj Da2 DAC, it gives smoother treble, with richer bass & mids. With my Korg DS-DAC-10R, it is a net negative, transients are not as crisp and the soundstage compresses. The Korg already has a rich, warm sound, doesn't need any help. If I recall correctly, I don't think the purifier did anything for my iFi Audio iOne, which already has the same technology built-in. The iPurifier2 doesn't work at all with my Audiolab 8200CD, won't synch. YMMV.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #27 of 50
I bought an Audioquest Jitterbug as it was only a fifty quid. I've not noticed anything positive or negative from using it in my audio chain, although it is plugged into a USB C > 4port USB 3 hub.

As much as I believe bits are bits and these (or fancy USB cables) should make no difference I still rather have them than not.

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #28 of 50
Yeah i know just saying some people spend hundreds or more on usb filtering regeneration but unless all your music is DSD, PCM 32/768 or no optical input on your DAC then dont be allergic to optical. its 100% isolation for next to nothing in cost.
Yup... have USB plugged into Topping D10 dac with Optical out to Audio-GD 11.28 AMp... and it's cleaner vs USB straight to Audio-GD. I mostly listen to Tidal Master so no loss going optical. and the few DSD/PCM files that I have can be re-sampled to 192khz (Foobar) if I'm to lazy to move cables to another amp nearby.. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/topping-d10

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #29 of 50
I have an iPurifier2. With the Sabaj Da2 DAC, it gives smoother treble, with richer bass & mids. With my Korg DS-DAC-10R, it is a net negative, transients are not as crisp.
I have to modify this post. The results above describe results with the iPurifier2 in my main system, between an sMs-200 and the Korg DAC. I have since moved the Korg from the main system to a headphone only system, with a Dell laptop as the source. In this setup, the Korg does benefit from the iPurifier. It's not night and day, but it's certainly enough of an improvement that I want it in the system.

Clearly the source (i.e. computer transport) matters when judging a USB enhancement, not just the DAC.

Feb 18, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #30 of 50
I have a cable suggestion for anyone using iFi Audio gear with USB 3.0 input (and 3.0 capable source). iFi say that the speed of USB 3.0 allows for superior noise processing, which is why their various dongles and DAC's have 3.0 inputs. Audiophile cable companies only seem to provide 2.0, except for iFi, but the price of their Mercury 3.0 cable didn't make sense for my headphone system (Dell laptop, iPurifier2, Korg DS-DAC-10R, Magni 3, Beyerdynamic DT 1990). The freebie 3.0 cable that came with my iOne DAC had rather mediocre sound and was too short. I saw this inexpensive Belkin cable on Amazon Canada and gave it a try:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...t_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Belkin replaced a dual head cable, with battery pack on the power leg. SQ definitely kicked up a notch, quieter background, more relaxed sounding and no battery hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back