usb dac
Jul 3, 2004 at 2:16 PM Post #228 of 519
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzzler
ITZ tried it off the USB supply, and whilst it does work it raises the noise floor to unacceptable levels, as I suggested earlier in the thread. Please, again, read the updates to the thread. You could run a trickle charger off the USB supply to a couple of AA/AAA batteries very easily if that would make you happier...

I'm going to try it out with an old Sony Walkman 4.5V wall wart to see if that provides decent power without raising the noise floor substantially. On batteries, it's dead silent playing a 0-bit track with the volume on my amplifier at max.

Jul 3, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #229 of 519
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny12
To power from USB: jumper from a pad on "R7" to BATT *** UNTESTED! ***

anyone tried this?

ITZ has tried it, it raises the noise floor substantially. Read the bottom of the last page of this thread for more info. I'll take that UNTESTED part out the docs...

g

Jul 4, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #231 of 519
I haven't measured actual current draw yet (I should probably do that here in the next couple of days), but it was estimated at 40mA. With a pair of 2300 mAh NiMH batteries (AA), you could easily get 50-60 hours before needing a charge.

I'll measure the draw with two and three batteries as the DC-DC convertor will probably draw more current to get the higher voltage with only two cells.

Jul 5, 2004 at 5:43 PM Post #232 of 519
the whole point of the switcher was to allow you to use 2xNiMH cells
rolleyes.gif

information page, which is being updated quite regularly is here:

http://www.mellowparenting.demon.co....er/usbdac.html

all you need to know is there
smily_headphones1.gif

g

Jul 12, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #233 of 519
Parts kits are in my hands. I just need to merge in all the US-sourced items and the kits will be ready for distribution. More to come as I just got back from vacation, but I expect to have everything in ready-to-ship bags by Wednesday.

Jul 12, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #235 of 519
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny12
anyone here compared this to any sound cards?

I think I'm the only with a working unit, and I've compared it to the Chaintech AV-710 and the Sonica so far. I didn't do a solid listening test yet, however, as I shipped it to a set of good ears to give me his opinion. Hopefully he'll get back to me this week with his thoughts.

I've found it so far to be very quiet (on batteries), solid bass, nice soundstage and smooth midrange. That's just straight out of Foobar using waveOut and no enhancements.

Jul 12, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #236 of 519
errm, sorry if this has already been asked, but have orders for the kits already been placed? I reskimmed the thread and didn't notice anything. If not, when will we be able to place orders do you think, ITZBITZ?

Jul 12, 2004 at 10:44 AM Post #237 of 519
ITZ is open to orders now, give him a PM to sort stuff out, and be sure to look over the information page posted above
smily_headphones1.gif

regards, and happy building everyone. I can't wait to see some pictures, and your hear your impressions.

g

Jul 12, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #238 of 519
I know you keep on saying it won't work off of USB power - but has anybody tried putting a inductor and a capacitor on the power supply to smooth it out? This seems so impractical to use batteries...

Jul 12, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #239 of 519
Quote:

Originally Posted by nleahcim
I know you keep on saying it won't work off of USB power - but has anybody tried putting a inductor and a capacitor on the power supply to smooth it out? This seems so impractical to use batteries...

The USB power supply goes through 2 regulators (one switcher and a linear) and over 2000uf of capacitance. The problem is not to "smooth it". The problem is that your picking noise from the computer power supply.

Jul 12, 2004 at 10:07 PM Post #240 of 519
Would putting a ferrite bead/clamp on the USB-cable help or is there any other (potential) remedy for this? Just wondering, beause it would be somewhat more practical if this thing was powered by the bus (at least in some applications)
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

EDIT: BTW, I also have a unit built & working and it sounds great!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back