USB DAC for PC (Win 10) + Bluetooth w/ LDAC transmitter
Nov 15, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #136 of 168
Hi, I have the same usb dongle and works fine for me except for a few cuts in the transmission when I move around the house. I think Its a really good option if you are looking for portability. The biggest problem is that if you are using Windows 10 the system will only allow to stream in 16 bits. Apparently its a common problem in Windows 10 and it doesnt seems to get fixed anytime soon, so keep that in mind before you buy it.

Thanks I am transmitting with Mac laptop

Lets see what happens.

I will try to undo the packaging so as I can return it. I may be able to use a diagnostic "Apple developer" tool called Bluetooth Explorer to put the transmission under the microscope.

Using BT Explorer I know my mac is already transmitting AptX (16Bit) now I want that extra 6 bits(!) to have AptX- HD (24 bit)

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #137 of 168
Thanks I am on Mac. Lets see what happens.will try to undo the packaging so as I can return it. I may be able to use a Mac diagnostic "developer" tool called Bluetooth Explorer to put the transmission under the microscope.

Using BT Explorer I know my mac is transmitting AptX (16Bit) now I want that extra 6 bits(!) to have AptX- HD (24 bit)
Oh my bad for not reading that you were on Mac. Anyways its good to know just in case you have any Windows device. Hope you can get those 24 bits, if not, you won't have any problem to return it to Amazon.

Nov 15, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #138 of 168
I use Amazon Music HD

I have a Hiby R6 Pro (that I am not using) I will expiriment with it as a USB connected LDAC transmitter but its V heavy and wont be convenient with my laptop on my lap

So I just ordered one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B086L2WNPG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would rather LDAC but for size & weight / portability something transmitting AptX-HD that can sit in a USB port of my laptop might suit me better

My Mac laptop is already transmitting AptX - this will just add the "HD" @ 24 bit

I have a Sony NW-507 DAP that transmits LDAC but its screen is so small and it runs out of battery often - and perhaps its more fun to use a laptop for living song selection than fiddling with a tiny screen device? Or perhaps I will return to using the Hiby R6 Pro in the living room..?

Spoiled for choice - gadget addict!

UPDATE!

OK my (old) Hiby R6 Pro works PERFECTLY as an LDAC USB transmitter
I pick up the LDAC signal with an Ifi Zen Blue Bluetooth receiver connected to my living room audio system
The other good news for me is that the Hiby gets power and USB digital audio - so I dont have to worry about it's battery running flat when connected to my laptop.
(my big issue with all DAPs is that its very boring keeping them charged)
Using a 1.5 Meter usb-c to usb-c is just long enough for the R6 Pro to not get in the way / drag my laptop off my lap when sitting on my couch. (I can put Hiby on side table or arm of sofa)
I will double check in Android developer mode that I have the Hiby set to transmit @ 960 kbps but the status lights on the Ifi receiver confirm LDAC pairing.

So you guys determined to have LDAC could consider picking up a second hand Hiby R6 Pro and enjoy the additional use of a portable Hi Res player too. (I was just lucky to have it lying around). At home playing Amazon Music HD via the laptop is much nicer than staring & tapping at a small DAP screen..

I have tried a high quality long USB cable to my DAC but the cable is so thick its a pain to keep attached to the Laptop.. But I might try it again..

Screenshot 2020-11-15 at 12.37.39.png
IMG_3066.jpeg
IMG_3065.jpeg

@Joe Bloggs

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #140 of 168
Anybody have the Sony WH-1000XM3? Was womdering what LDAC transmitter was the most stable with 990kbps?

Anybody have a list of LDAC transmission capable devices?
I cant compare, but I will try the BTA30 with my Sony WH-1000XM2 through optical cable plugged into my new expansion card connected to S/PDIF pins on motherboard, at the beginning of december.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #141 of 168
I cant compare, but I will try the BTA30 with my Sony WH-1000XM2 through optical cable plugged into my new expansion card connected to S/PDIF pins on motherboard, at the beginning of december.
There are three modes to choose in the app when the BTA30 is transmitting LDAC, Sound quality first, Connection Priority and Auto Adaptation. If you choose Sound quality priority, it should be transmitting LDAC at 990kbps.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 16, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #142 of 168
OK the B10 1mii USB Bluetooth Audio Adapter has arrived!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B086L2WNPG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screenshot 2020-11-16 at 16.14.04.png

Using a USB-C to USB A adapter its very small / low profile on my laptop
There seem to be two options AptX LL (low latency for videos & movies) and AptX-HD
Green light is HD
My Receiver (Ifi Zen Blue) status lights (and voice alert) confirm AptX-HD

Yet my Mac shows 16bit (screenshot below)

Screenshot 2020-11-16 at 14.47.24.png

Amazon Music detects a 24 bit capable device (screenshot below)

Screenshot 2020-11-16 at 15.50.12.png

I am not sure I can tweak bit rate on the mac

Do you think I am transmitting 24 bit audio?

I have a ticket in with the manufacturer

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #143 of 168
This Bluetooth stuff is fun but I also can attach a USB cable to reach my DAC with 192k 24bit signal...

Nov 16, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #145 of 168
An Amazon reviewer said

If you read the product description this is actually a Bluetooth SOUND CARD NOT DONGLE, but that's ok, because if you're looking at this product then that is probably the main functionality you're looking for.

This does indeed support AptX HD BUT being a soundcard, it doesn't fully utilize it to its full extent. AptX HD supports music bitrates up to 24-bit/48kHz and while it has the capabilities to transmit data at this rate, the soundcard element cannot output this data, being instead capped at 16bit/48khz

So what I am wondering is.
My Mac laptop already outputs AptX codec.

So might this device outputting AptX-HD have slightly better sound?

I have tried to test but the switch over isn’t very instant so it’s hard to tell.

(And in a very likely case of sour grapes I have grown tired of my laptop to HiFi Bluetooth adventures and the usb-c cable from laptop to DAC is presently keeping me happy @ 192k 24bit from Amazon Music HD.) So I might be sending all the BT gadgets back this week...

but it’s been fun tinkering...

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #146 of 168
Anybody have the Sony WH-1000XM3? Was womdering what LDAC transmitter was the most stable with 990kbps?

Anybody have a list of LDAC transmission capable devices?
An Amazon reviewer said

If you read the product description this is actually a Bluetooth SOUND CARD NOT DONGLE, but that's ok, because if you're looking at this product then that is probably the main functionality you're looking for.

This does indeed support AptX HD BUT being a soundcard, it doesn't fully utilize it to its full extent. AptX HD supports music bitrates up to 24-bit/48kHz and while it has the capabilities to transmit data at this rate, the soundcard element cannot output this data, being instead capped at 16bit/48khz

will this device outputting AptX-HD have slightly better sound?
I have tried to test but the switch over isn’t very instant so it’s hard to tell.

(And in a very likely case of sour grapes I have grown tired of my laptop to HiFi Bluetooth adventures and the usb-c cable from laptop to DAC is presently keeping me happy @ 192k 24bit from Amazon Music HD.) So I might be sending all the BT gadgets back this week...

For me there was a difference between my pc streaming aptx and using this dongle with "AptxHd", it isn't 24 bits but i noticed the improvement. Waiting for my Fiio BTA30 to see it's capable of streaming LDAC with a decent latency when connected to the optical output of my soundcard. If not I'll keep it anyways and stick to aptxhd and aptxLL for movies and series and LDAC for music.

Nov 16, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #147 of 168
An Amazon reviewer said

So might this device outputting AptX-HD have slightly better sound?

I think those gadgets are only good for basic Bluetooth needs. To achieve better results, you have to go looking for more comprehensive products and brands

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 16, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #148 of 168
will this device outputting AptX-HD have slightly better sound?
Improvement is expected because aptX-HD has a higher transmission rate than standard aptX. It would be a similar effect as playing an mp3 file that has higher bitrate. BTW, some people feel AAC sounds better than standard aptX.

If wireless audio from your Mac is the reason you are exploring Bluetooth, an alternative is AirPlay, which can support lossless CD quality.

Nov 16, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #149 of 168
Improvement is expected because aptX-HD has a higher transmission rate than standard aptX. It would be a similar effect as playing an mp3 file that has higher bitrate. BTW, some people feel AAC sounds better than standard aptX.

If wireless audio from your Mac is the reason you are exploring Bluetooth, an alternative is AirPlay, which can support lossless CD quality.
Higher transmission rate doesn't always mean improvement. AAC through an iphone will have better improvement over AptX at a lower bit-rate due to the better efficiency in it's compression.

I believe different devices has different performance in their maximum bit-rate they can transmit stably through LDAC. Some may do maximum of 660kbps stably, but a better performer will do 990kbps.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #150 of 168
From support

Thanks for contacting us.
B10 is transmitting 16bit from Mac.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back