USB DAC Design questions
Feb 14, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #166 of 458
Haggerman suggested that instead of going with multiple reg101's, we use one reg101 for a 3.3 volt psu, one reg101 for a 5 volt psu and do a good job of local bypassing at all of the power supply connections.

The only real downside I can see of this is it may make the routing of voltage traces more difficult. I'm going to try and start laying out the schematic.

Feb 14, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #167 of 458
I already have a schematic almost fully done as well as a start on a layout if you'd like me to post it. I've been designing it to fit in a Hammond 1455J1201BK enclosure (approx 4" x 3" x 1").

Feb 14, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #168 of 458
Bleot : please post the schematic (in .sch and .jpg), so we can start discussing it.

Power : I prefer to have different regulators for all chips. It makes it easier to keep the sections independent and separate. Btw, what are we using for supply ? One single supply and buffered ground ? Or dual supply ? AC or DC ?

Layout : how small do we go for the smd parts ? 1206, 805 ?

Feb 14, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #169 of 458
Things seem have progressed a bit since I last checked in.

I take it no one else uses Pads2005. What PCB software is being used?

I prefer 0805 (or even smaller) caps for chip supply decoupling. Otherwise 1206 is fine. Is the plan to make this entirely SMT?

For the power supplies, I'm in favor of requiring a separate dual DC supply (e.g. +-12V) from which all other voltages can be derived on board. The alternative would be to have a single DC supply to generate the other voltages, but would require AC output coupling and low voltages opamps.

Feb 14, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #170 of 458
I'm with Snoopy on this. 0805 for decoupling caps. 1206 is just too large when you've got to have a bunch of them in close proxmity to each other - just too hard to work with. I also agree with requiring a +/- 12 volt DC input PSU required.

Feb 14, 2006 at 11:24 AM Post #171 of 458
sounds good to me.

Feb 14, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #172 of 458
OK...just let me clean them up a bit
wink.gif

EDIT: OK...I have a .pdf made and I have the .sch (I use EAGLE) zipped up, but both are too large to post on the forum
frown.gif

Anyone related to the project have some web space to post on?

Feb 14, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #176 of 458
Ok, got the schematics.

- good idea for the usb esd protector.

- it'd be best to have resistors on the I2S lines between each chips

- I wonder if it is good to have the ferrite before the electrolytic caps. Considering the electrolytics will be further away from the chips, we allow high frequencies to wander a bit. Wouldn't it be better to have the ferrite in between the electrolytic and the ceramic ?

- On the pcm1798, I would connect vcomr and vcoml to +5V and not to VCC1, through its own ferrite.

- We need an hardware reset of the DIR1703.

- you cannot use the REG101 straight from the supply. Its max input is 10V. We need preregulation. I would use one LM317 at 7V for all digital chips and a pair of LM317/337 for +/-9V for the I/V and the analog supply of the PCM1798.

Looks fine otherwise.

Feb 14, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #177 of 458
Quote:

- good idea for the usb esd protector.

Thanks, it works nicely on my PCM2704 DAC I just got finished.

Quote:

- it'd be best to have resistors on the I2S lines between each chips

Yep...I've been working on getting the PCM2707 and DIR1703 (now that we've decided on it) sections up and going before anything else.

Quote:

- I wonder if it is good to have the ferrite before the electrolytic caps. Considering the electrolytics will be further away from the chips, we allow high frequencies to wander a bit. Wouldn't it be better to have the ferrite in between the electrolytic and the ceramic ?

It's not a big deal either way. I'll move them inside as per your suggestion.

Quote:

- On the pcm1798, I would connect vcomr and vcoml to +5V and not to VCC1, through its own ferrite.

Isn't that what I did?
confused.gif

Quote:

- We need an hardware reset of the DIR1703.

No problem...I'll add an RC section to that.

Quote:

- you cannot use the REG101 straight from the supply. Its max input is 10V. We need preregulation. I would use one LM317 at 7V for all digital chips and a pair of LM317/337 for +/-9V for the I/V and the analog supply of the PCM1798.

Ahh...thanks for noting that. I'll put an LM317 section to drop it down to 7V before feeding it to the REG101's.

Work has been a bit hectic lately, but hopefully I'll get some time to improve upon it over the next couple days. Thanks for the suggestions!

Feb 15, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #179 of 458
Yep...saw that this morning as well.

But, even given that information, what choice do we have if we would like to use USB as an option? We're including SPDIF and implementing an ASRC (running from a different master clock) to help the situation as much as we can.

Feb 15, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #180 of 458
This is definitely disappointing news. Does this leave us with any other options? Are there better USB to SPDIF chips available? I can't imagine another TI chip performing substantially better if they're all using SpACt. Is it time to go and search the other semiconductor companys for a different USB receiver?

I suppose alternately we could then think about it as an SPDIF input DAC that also has the benefit of having a USB receiver with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back