USB-C Sucks. 3.5mm Is Real Sound!!!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #76 of 320
That is not possible. A DAC (digital to analog converter) must receive a digital signal, it cannot process an analog signal. In order for a dongle DAC to process an analog signal from the phone, it would need to contain an ADC and a DAC, and I'm not aware of any dongle that does.

I'm extremely happy with my LG G8 ThinQ. It sounds miles better than my wife's Samsung S9, and the LG's internal Quad DAC sounds better than my XTremPro X1 dongle DAC, both using UAPP. According to Darko, LG phones are comparable in sound quality to an iPhone with Dragonfly Red. https://darko.audio/2018/06/the-dap-days-are-over-part-3-lg-v30/

I plan to keep the G8 for several years. Hopefully by then someone else will step up and provide another audiophile phone. I will never buy into Apple's closed world.

I’ve told him that several times, even in private messages. He still thinks he’s right. So don’t waste your time.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #77 of 320
I’ve told him that several times, even in private massages. He still thinks he’s right. So don’t waste your time.
Yes, I had read your previous counters in this thread. I thought maybe pointing out that a dongle DAC does not contain an analogue to digital converter might sink in.

Sep 16, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #79 of 320
I plan to keep the G8 for several years. Hopefully by then someone else will step up and provide another audiophile phone. I will never buy into Apple's closed world.
So funny, I'm the same way and I also have the G8X although I just use Bluetooth headphones. I also do not like the Apple Ecosystem model/trap. I still also have my G7 that I will likely use as a dedicated player.

Sep 16, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #81 of 320
The top of the range Sony flagship phones have 3.5mm headphone jacks, so nobody is ‘forced’ to settle for low end devices.
Yep, my G8X has a 3.5mm jack and it is far from low end.

Sep 16, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #82 of 320
Using Nokia sirocco, it doesn't. But I'm a DAP man.

Sep 16, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #83 of 320
You clearly don’t own an Oppo Find X3 Lite, and rubbishing another person’s choice of equipment is poor form.
I do not brother. I have S10+ now and earlier I was having OnePlus 5. S10+ runs SD 855 SoC and OP 5 was having SD 835. Both are much more faster than X3 Lite. S10+ Display is 1440 x 3040 pixels which is even better than QHD. I am not saying that what you have is not good. What I am saying that if I can afford and want better looking and faster phone, so I should not get only because I want 3.5mm Port in the phone? Why don't they can release certain percentage of the flagship phones with 3.5mm Jack and let user decides if he wants 3.5mm or will buy crap USB C Audio?

Sep 16, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #84 of 320
Using Nokia sirocco, it doesn't. But I'm a DAP man.

I have zero interest in carrying two devices. My LG G8 phone sounds considerably better than a friend's Astell & Kearns AK300, has much higher storage capability and immensely more flexible. Nope, no DAP for me.

I am an audiophile, I care about sound. I don't give a crap about any other high end phone features.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #85 of 320
Can the get back to topic ? This guy still believes, that external DACs are scam and do not work ..
Can the get back to topic ? This guy still believes, that external DACs are scam and do not work ..
It is indeed. Why people are forced to buy external Dongles to use their 3.5mm Earphones? There is DAC already in Android and f these companies want, they can simply upgrade that rather than forcing people to buy external DAC (if they are good in reality). I don't think if I buy a Dongle and use with my PowerAmp, it will make any difference. On top of that, I noticed that all DAC Dongles says that the calling function will not work if your phone has 3.5mm Port. So 1st I should settle with poor quality phone because I want 3.5mm Jack and then using these Dongle will still not work for calling. So if I get call while listening to the music, I should 1st remove the Dongle, then plug earphone into 3,5mm and then only I can talk

The top of the range Sony flagship phones have 3.5mm headphone jacks, so nobody is ‘forced’ to settle for low end devices.
Cpl of things here. Sony Phones are not sold in my country so I could not buy. It was difficult to buy without even touching the actual phone and see how it is in look and feel. Also, I could have still tried to buy it from USA through Ebay like I did for my S10+ as I wanted SD SoC, but they have 3,5mm Jack on top of the phone and I was not comfortable with that so did not buy. Hope they will place it on the bottom side of the phone in newer models and I can try to buy one for sure.

Yep, my G8X has a 3.5mm jack and it is far from low end.
Yes. Not G8X but G8 ThinQ was good option actually. While doing research to buy new phone, one thing which went against it was only having 6 GB RAM while S10/S10+ were having 8 GB RAM. G8X is heavy compare to G8 or S10+ also and also much bigger so I did not consider that. But may be in future, if I think that I can settle with slower speed and less RAM, I might consider that. But wish they could have just put 8 GB or more RAM or made V60 phone much smaller and lighter. But now they stopped making phone fully so no way one will get better phone in future.

I have zero interest in carrying two devices. My LG G8 phone sounds considerably better than a friend's Astell & Kearns AK300, has much higher storage capability and immensely more flexible. Nope, no DAP for me.

I am an audiophile, I care about sound. I don't give a crap about any other high end phone features.
Yes. Two devices or many devices are strictly No-No here too. G8 is good but I don't want to compromise on speed. 6 GB RAM was the one feature which let me down hence I did not consider. Than V60 or V50 were good but again too big, bulky and heavy. Now my all hope is on Sony if they can place the 3.5mm Port at the bottom of the phone,

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #86 of 320
Apple has always put in special connectors and things into their products to make sure you had to buy extra things to connect your apple device. Yes, it's about the $$. It really hit home for me when I bought one of apples first digitals displays. These things were really expensive then (over $2000) and after I got it, it has defects in the pixels. I contacted Apple and they tried to tell me this was in spec, and I had to accept it. Thats when I leaned if you ever speak to Apple you need to reach the Tier 2 person to get anywhere, as Tier 1 is just there to make you go away. Finally Apple agreed to fix the monitor, but when it came back, it was no better than before. I demanded a refund. After back and forth for weeks, they finally agreed, but I had to sign a document stating I agreed not to disclose they gave me a full refund, and I could not bash the product on the internet. After that experience I never really seen Apple, or any really big corporation the same way again.

Sep 17, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #88 of 320
I noticed that all DAC Dongles says that the calling function will not work if your phone has 3.5mm Port. So 1st I should settle with poor quality phone because I want 3.5mm Jack and then using these Dongle will still not work for calling. So if I get call while listening to the music, I should 1st remove the Dongle, then plug earphone into 3,5mm and then only I can talk
That is not correct. When I receive a call on my LG G8 with XTremPro dongle attached, the music mutes, I hear a ring tone and I am able to answer the call.

You seem to have a lot of opinions, not much experience. If you truly are interested in listening on a mobile phone, I highly suggest you purchase a dongle DAC, because your Samsung phone sounds pretty poor on its own.

Another advantage of the LG Quad DAC that hasn't been mentioned. I can listen to high quality sound while my phone is charging, because the USB port is not taken up by a dongle.

Listening right now to my G8 through Grado GH4 headphones. The sound is really quite impressive, far beyond my Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic IEM's, and it will play loud enough to damage your hearing. With the 250 ohm DT 1990 Pro, I have to run around 3/4 volume, but it will still go uncomfortably loud. Of course either of these headphones do sound better with better gear upstream, especially the DT 1990.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #89 of 320
My iPhone dongle will push my DT 1990 a little louder than I like at about 3/4 volume, and I can charge simultaneously using a MagSafe charger. I honestly cannot hear a difference between it and any other amp I’ve ever tried (unless it has tubes, in which case the biggest difference is the noise).

Sep 17, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #90 of 320
I honestly cannot hear a difference between it and any other amp I’ve ever tried (unless it has tubes, in which case the biggest difference is the noise).
I have heard you say that before and I honestly don't get it. There is definitely more detail and dynamics with a higher end DAC and a more powerful headphone amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back