Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface
Jul 1, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #1,411 of 1,958

Patricia Barber "Touch of Trash",  that really separates the R2R's from the lower quality S-D DAC's  as well as poor transports.

Quote:
For me a little spittyness on the song. I cannot really say whether it is the recording or his way of singing or reflections problems, but there is a slight spittyness on the "love is funny or it's sad" at the beginning. Not a very hard pain though. I didn't notice that kind of problems on other songs of mine.
Do you have other recordings that point that out?

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #1,412 of 1,958

Quote:
 I know it's not annoying or a big deal but that's the most obvious manifestation.  It could be considered subtle but when you hear it without this then you are happier, no?

This is the issue that he attenuator gets rid of giving a smooth analogue sound to the song without any loss of detail. It also smooths out the violins some & I would say tightens up the 3D sound stage. I reckon it's pretty good bang for $12

No, I don't have any other recordings that I want to upload - this is proof enough!

For sure, I didn't meant it's not a problem, just not a huge problem. If it could be improved, I wouldn't be reluctant to try that out.

Well for $12 I guess I could give it a try. Which one would you recommand? Only BNC, isn't it? I'd have to go with a RCA to BNC adapter, it'd look like adapters cascade behind my DAC
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #1,414 of 1,958

Quote:

For sure, I didn't meant it's not a problem, just not a huge problem. If it could be improved, I wouldn't be reluctant to try that out.

Well for $12 I guess I could give it a try. Which one would you recommand? Only BNC, isn't it? I'd have to go with a RCA to BNC adapter, it'd look like adapters cascade behind my DAC
biggrin.gif

I don't know if using a RCA to BNC adaptor won't defeat the purpose - introducing another impedance jump from 50 ohm to 75ohm. You are using RCA to RCA at the moment, I presume?

In my testing I used a BNC output Hiface with an RCA SPDIF Canare cable. I used it with BNC/RCA adapator & heard the sibilance (let's call it that). When I put in the attenuator this sibilance ent away & the other positive benefits showed up as mentioned.

I didn't try this with a RCA output Hiface as I would have then Hiface to RCA/BNC adaptor to BNC attenuator to BNC/RCA adpator to RCA SPDIF cable - don't know if it's worth it?  I presume this is what you would be involved in?

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #1,415 of 1,958

Quote:
Patricia Barber "Touch of Trash",  that really separates the R2R's from the lower quality S-D DAC's  as well as poor transports.

Pretty good recording, although the double bass is turned up pretty hot

Quote:
BTW, I see there have been something like 7 downloads of the Nat King Cole track - could people report back if they hear a spittyness in Nat's "S"'s or not? This is the area that the attenuator will address.

No spittyness at my side, no weird sibilance. I'm using the hiface bnc -> audio gd dac9mk3.If anything, it's probably a slight fuzzy gruff in his voice that sounds like a fault of the recording

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #1,416 of 1,958

Quote:
Pretty good recording, although the double bass is turned up pretty hot

No spittyness at my side, no weird sibilance. I'm using the hiface bnc -> audio gd dac9mk3.If anything, it's probably a slight fuzzy gruff in his voice that sounds like a fault of the recording

So it just shows that different set-ups produce different sonic results. I don't think this gruffness is in the recording but I could be wrong - I don't have a set-up to listen to at the moment. 

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #1,417 of 1,958
Not my preferred style, but excellent piano & forte dynamics as well as sibilance scrutinizer... didn't know that one can hear that many different splashes.
wink.gif

..."she's just a culture short of class"...
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #1,419 of 1,958
Oh, I was referring to regals suggestion - "Touch of Trash" track... extraordinary micros & macros there... I never considered tin can as a percussion instrument before... you can tell the track is mixed and not recorded together... different ambiance around different instruments/voice.

No edge/sibilance whatsoever on Nat's wav. Just flowing. I got a feeling like strings were stolen from an old Hollywood soundtrack and "glued" together with bass and Nat's voice. Very pleasant listen.

(both tracks: USB cable "vulgaris" → modded hiFace → Oyaide DB-510 → RE-1 → A-GD ACSS sharkwire → Roc → balanced dual starquad recabled HE-5)

Jul 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #1,420 of 1,958

Quote:
Oh, I was referring to regals suggestion - "Touch of Trash" track... extraordinary micros & macros there... I never considered tin can as a percussion instrument before... you can tell the track is mixed and not recorded together... different ambiance around different instruments/voice.

No edge/sibilance whatsoever on Nat's wav. Just flowing. I got a feeling like strings were stolen from an old Hollywood soundtrack and "glued" together with bass and Nat's voice. Very pleasant listen.

(both tracks: USB cable "vulgaris" → modded hiFace → Oyaide DB-510 → RE-1 → A-GD ACSS sharkwire → Roc → balanced dual starquad recabled HE-5)

Cool, Faudrei, it looks like you've no need for one of these attenuators (but it probably wouldn't do any harm) - yes I kinda got that feeling about the strings 

Jul 2, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #1,421 of 1,958

Quote:
I don't know if using a RCA to BNC adaptor won't defeat the purpose - introducing another impedance jump from 50 ohm to 75ohm. You are using RCA to RCA at the moment, I presume?

In my testing I used a BNC output Hiface with an RCA SPDIF Canare cable. I used it with BNC/RCA adapator & heard the sibilance (let's call it that). When I put in the attenuator this sibilance ent away & the other positive benefits showed up as mentioned.

I didn't try this with a RCA output Hiface as I would have then Hiface to RCA/BNC adaptor to BNC attenuator to BNC/RCA adpator to RCA SPDIF cable - don't know if it's worth it?  I presume this is what you would be involved in?

I'm using the modded HiFace RCA to RCA/RCA male adapter, so it would mean putting in between a RCA/BNC adapter and the BNC attenuator and BNC/RCA adapter to the DAC.
I know Van Den Hul makes true 75 ohms BNC/RCA adapter which seem good but not the reverse, so I don't know if a cheap RCA/BNC adapter would be good in the chain.

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #1,422 of 1,958

Quote:
Yes but do you hear any edge or sibilance on the Nat track?

No obvious sibliance or edge there, past what seems like was in the original recording.  You know, it's not a modern recording, the master tape is from 5/8/58.  (http://www.classictvinfo.com/NKCDiscography/

[ laptop > RCA HiFace > 3ft. Dayton coax > North Star MkII > GS-1 > T-1 ]

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #1,423 of 1,958

Quote:
No obvious sibliance or edge there, past what seems like was in the original recording.  You know, it's not a modern recording, the master tape is from 5/8/58.  (http://www.classictvinfo.com/NKCDiscography/

[ laptop > RCA HiFace > 3ft. Dayton coax > North Star MkII > GS-1 > T-1 ]

I know it's an old recording & I too thought that this might be in the original recording but when I put the attenuator in-line it all became analogue like so ......................? 

This may be relevant to nonimod too, who heard a fuzzy gruffness & assumed it was te recording - I don't remember this with the attenuators in-line, just smooth silky Nat's voice :)

BTW, there has been 17 downloads of the track but only 4 people commenting on the sound - let's hear from the others - what does it sound like to you?

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #1,424 of 1,958
^^

John, good to see you posting here again!  I've also downloaded the track.  My BNC cable together with other cables I need are scheduled to arrive July 8 and I will finally be able to plug the hiFace into the mix.  I will report back...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back