Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface
Dec 21, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #301 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm hoping for the same thing so I don't have to deal with Win 7 incompatible devices.

what devices are you refering to? i've been on win7 for months and haven't really heard much of incompatible devices.

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #302 of 1,958
Quote:

with regards to your last statement - waiting meaning i don't get the hiface? or get the hiface, and hold off on the dac (i.e get a bnc hiface and use a bnc - RCA connector)

It depends if you are in a hurry....

As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy with the HiFace. And at least it's here and it works , and very well.

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #303 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by sadhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends if you are in a hurry....

As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy with the HiFace. And at least it's here and it works , and very well.

i'll probably go with this as well. i read earlier on the in the thread about bnc supposedly being better than rca though, but haven't heard anyone claim that it actually sounds better.

has anyone actually compared both types and concluded that bnc sounds superior? even the benchmark dac1 pre doesnt' have bnc, so i'm thinking perhaps it's not that big a deal.

Dec 21, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #304 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm hoping for the same thing so I don't have to deal with Win 7 incompatible devices.

Forgive me for not reading through the entire thread, but are you saying this device is not compatible with Win 7? I have a USB-SPDIF converter currently and do not think it is compatible. Was hoping to find a different one instead of going right into my DacMagic.

Dec 21, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #306 of 1,958
ah... i see. read through a couple of extra pages in the thread just now. so this thing can't play youtube videos or videos from another media player in win7. now that just sucks balls doesn't it ^^

Dec 21, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #307 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by athenaesword /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah... i see. read through a couple of extra pages in the thread just now. so this thing can't play youtube videos or videos from another media player in win7. now that just sucks balls doesn't it ^^

IMHO it's an excellent hi quality for the price Audio converter.
Would you get hi quality 24bit/192kHz audio from a youtube video?
An updated driver might allow you to do this any way, as M2Tech are updating their drivers all the time.

Dec 21, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #309 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO it's an excellent hi quality for the price Audio converter.
Would you get hi quality 24bit/192kHz audio from a youtube video?
An updated driver might allow you to do this any way, as M2Tech are updating their drivers all the time.

it's not so much to the lack of high quality audio, but the lack of any audio, that might be a problem. i certainly do not need 24/192 on youtube, but have no sound at all would take away immensely from videos.

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #310 of 1,958
Quote:

i'll probably go with this as well. i read earlier on the in the thread about bnc supposedly being better than rca though, but haven't heard anyone claim that it actually sounds better.

has anyone actually compared both types and concluded that bnc sounds superior? even the benchmark dac1 pre doesnt' have bnc, so i'm thinking perhaps it's not that big a deal.

There's an impedance and noise issue.

For digital interconnects 75 Ohm termination is important - it prevents signal reflections bouncing inside the cable and the associated signal degradation. BNC connectors are spot on 75 Ohm, while RCA are hard to match.

BNC connectors also introduce less signal-noise than RCA connectors do.

That said, if you have a good RCA terminated digital cable for digital audio you can "live happily ever after" and forget about everything said. It is just more probable that this "happily ever after" will happen with BNC terminated digital cable.

Quote:

it's not so much to the lack of high quality audio, but the lack of any audio, that might be a problem. i certainly do not need 24/192 on youtube, but have no sound at all would take away immensely from videos.

You surely have some kind of onboard audio? Use this onboard audio for youtube, film watching, audio chimes, exclamations and whatnot.

Use hiFace for quality listening to your music. On Win7 for time being through Kernel Streaming capable media player(s).

Dec 21, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #311 of 1,958
Hello !

May be one would explain what is the impedance of a connector, more precisely for RCA and BNC ?
Z comes from R and L.... but seems to be 0 , for some mm of metal ? May be I'm wrong ?
Thanks
R.C.

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #312 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by FauDrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's an impedance and noise issue.

For digital interconnects 75 Ohm termination is important - it prevents signal reflections bouncing inside the cable and the associated signal degradation. BNC connectors are spot on 75 Ohm, while RCA are hard to match.

BNC connectors also introduce less signal-noise than RCA connectors do.

That said, if you have a good RCA terminated digital cable for digital audio you can "live happily ever after" and forget about everything said. It is just more probable that this "happily ever after" will happen with BNC terminated digital cable.

You surely have some kind of onboard audio? Use this onboard audio for youtube, film watching, audio chimes, exclamations and whatnot.

Use hiFace for quality listening to your music. On Win7 for time being through Kernel Streaming capable media player(s).

so u're saying essentially if i have a good RCA cable it doesn't matter? are BNC cables generally cheaper than RCA then?

yes i have onboard audio. however, my dac (the oritek) only has 1 input, and that's the RCA. there's no way for me to put multiple inputs to the speakers.... that's my limitation.

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #313 of 1,958
Quote:

so u're saying essentially if i have a good RCA cable it doesn't matter? are BNC cables generally cheaper than RCA then?

Yes, if you have good RCA digital cable (with no or minimal reflections/noise) - it does not matter for stereo audio.

There should be no or minimal price difference between BNC and RCA cables. BNC tend to be slightly more expensive because of the word "better" in marketing materials. In any case a decent digital cable can go for $20-$25. I'd add that anything over $100 (we are speaking of normal length cables) is overpriced.
Quote:

yes i have onboard audio. however, my dac (the oritek) only has 1 input, and that's the RCA. there's no way for me to put multiple inputs to the speakers.... that's my limitation.

Hmm, what about your amplifier? Does it have more inputs?

If it does, connect hiFace to Oritek, Oritek to one amp input. Connect your computer audio out directly to other amp input. Hopefully your amp will also have an easy and elegant way of switching inputs.

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #314 of 1,958
thanks for the replies faudrei. I'm currently using active studio monitors, so the pre, amp, and speakers are all in the monitor housing, so that option is not available to me.

would i still benefit from getting the hiface if i ended buying a benchmark dac1 pre? i'm told that the benchmark's clock is completely independent of the input clock and so having a good transport should provide little to no improvement.

a quick glance at my setup and you'll see that the weakest link is probably the digital side, and that's where i'm looking to improve things:
motherboard coax -->$30 digital cable --> Oritek OMZ --> chord cobra cables --> Adam A7 active monitors
Quote:

Originally Posted by FauDrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, if you have good RCA digital cable (with no or minimal reflections/noise) - it does not matter for stereo audio.

There should be no or minimal price difference between BNC and RCA cables. BNC tend to be slightly more expensive because of the word "better" in marketing materials. In any case a decent digital cable can go for $20-$25. I'd add that anything over $100 (we are speaking of normal length cables) is overpriced.

Hmm, what about your amplifier? Does it have more inputs?

If it does, connect hiFace to Oritek, Oritek to one amp input. Connect your computer audio out directly to other amp input. Hopefully your amp will also have an easy and elegant way of switching inputs.

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #315 of 1,958
Quote:

would i still benefit from getting the hiface if i ended buying a benchmark dac1 pre? i'm told that the benchmark's clock is completely independent of the input clock and so having a good transport should provide little to no improvement.

I have the RE-1 and it still helps. I would say yes - you would still benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back