Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface
Dec 17, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #272 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
without DS their is no asio , wasabi , youtube, video files no sound other then useing foobar with ks.

I'm not sure I understand, but I use an EMU1616M with ASIO.

I have J. River set to use ASIO for Zone 1.

Zone 2 can use Emu wave device which can be set as default for Windows for junk like internet, or films (directshow filters only connect to wave or ds output).

Zone 3 can use WASAPI for my other USB DAC.

Zone 4 can use Wave output to outdoor speakers and play computer sound as default device.

Why do I need DS for PC sound?
DC

Dec 17, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #273 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by slackman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About the jitter, that's what I thought too about the DA10, that the source jitter doesn't matter.
But my ears tell me a very different story.
Both UA-1EX and hiFace are bit-perfect, so the only difference is the jitter.

As for BNC vs RCA, Marco from m2tech told me that if the DAC has a BNC input go with BNC hiFace, if the DAC has RCA input go with RCA hiFace, as BNC to RCA does bad things.

As for the Musiland. I've never heard it but I read that though it does do async usb, it has a terrible clock that is never 44.1 or 48 / 88.2 / 96, but allways a % off. I wouldn't want such a thing as a source myself.
Also in another thread the hiFace compared favourably to the Musiland.

Strange the reviewer in this thread claims the Musiland was rock solid even with heavy PC usage. Later on in thread someone, and verified by another poster, claims they get digital artifacts on the HiFace (at beginning of song and when power on/off devices in the home).

I think you got you devices backwards.

Dec 17, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #274 of 1,958
No DS for Win7 even in future? Wow, that really sucks. Makes me wonder if I can keep this device. It's useless if I can't watch youtube videos and normal videos on Win7. In WinXP everything works fine though. This is really sad because it sounds very good.
frown.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #275 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No DS for Win7 even in future? Wow, that really sucks. Makes me wonder if I can keep this device. It's useless if I can't watch youtube videos and normal videos on Win7. In WinXP everything works fine though. This is really sad because it sounds very good.
frown.gif

I'm on windows xp but I'm only using kernel streaming in foobar.
Why would you want to use the hiFace for youtube videos etc?
Just any onboard soundcard would do fine for that, it's not like youtube has any audio quality worhty of jitter free transmission to a dac.
And all music that is worthy quality wise you'll have in wav of flac etc and can be played in foobar.

I'm not easily wowed by a piece of equipment but the hiFace did it for me.
I was expecting to have to wait a long time before a cheap solution (i was thinking likely from china) for high quality digital out from the computer, as all other solutions up till now were $500+.
Now the hiFace is here, 100 euro, made in italy, it's small, bus powered and doesn't need a usb cable. What more could we want? It's perfect
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #276 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by slackman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..all music that is worthy quality wise you'll have in wav of flac etc and can be played in foobar.

Exactly.

I don't care about DS support, either.

I'm using these usb transport devices (Musiland and M2Tech type) solely with Foobar for HiFi auditions..
For youtube, gaming and stuff like that I use my Logitech Z-Cinemas.
For HD movies on my TV I either use the digital out of the onboard soundcard or the HDMI of my VGA.

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #277 of 1,958
It's great is you only use foobar to listen to music, but no sound playback for media players for movies and such? I'll pass.

Dec 18, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #278 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's great is you only use foobar to listen to music, but no sound playback for media players for movies and such? I'll pass.

I posted above about how directshow filters connect to both DS and Wave devices. I'm unclear why you have to have DS. I have used FFDshow and done some half-tricky upsamlping to 96KHz (as EMU patchmix must be manually changed and I'm lazy) using both DS and Wave.

So just set the Wave output for Windows sound and use the K-mixer for movies and sub-par internet content.

You can retain use of ASIO or WASAPI with your player of choice, I think, at least that's the case in J. River. I can push ASIO on ZONE 1 to my hifi, and if I watch film, the renderer pushes to wave device on ZONE 1, so I get the best of both worlds.

Maybe I'm missing something? Can't you simply make the HiFace your default device in Windows, and have the player of your choice use WASAPI for hifi listening (as stated if you use J. River the video rendered is chosen separately which allows you to push film/video to any device except ASIO).

DC

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #279 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorcilantro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused at the fetish for DirectSound, what about ASIO4ALL?

KS is only available in foobar2000 if you want to use m2tech for playback in other programs you need it registered with the system as auido device, which it doesn't under Vista or Windows 7, and support DS. Asio4all crackles severely under Vista and you still can't use it in anything but foobar2000.

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #280 of 1,958
Alright, if I'm not mistaken, using the hiFace with Windows 7 would be like using the earlier version driver of the hiFace on Windows XP. You wont hear ANY sound out of your computer other than your foobar!! So no gaming, no youtube, no videos and so, this would be extremely inconvenient if your PC only sound source is your DAC(like me)

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #281 of 1,958
Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something? Can't you simply make the HiFace your default device in Windows, and have the player of your choice use WASAPI for hifi listening (as stated if you use J. River the video rendered is chosen separately which allows you to push film/video to any device except ASIO).

DC

It does not appear as audio device in Sound Control Panel on Vista or W7.

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #282 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does not appear as audio device in Sound Control Panel on Vista or W7.

Well that sucks
atsmile.gif

Pointless device; not everyone wants the inflexibility of just using KS in Foobar.

What about the Musiland? Hopefully it can be recognized by J. River.

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #283 of 1,958
Quote:

Well that sucks
atsmile.gif

Pointless device; not everyone wants the inflexibility of just using KS in Foobar.

What about the Musiland? Hopefully it can be recognized by J. River.

That's what most are getting it for, inflexible playback out of foobar2000.
bigsmile_face.gif
I got two already for two systems and can't be happier.
tongue.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #284 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what most are getting it for, inflexible playback out of foobar2000.
bigsmile_face.gif
I got two already for two systems and can't be happier.
tongue.gif

No offense, but I'll stick with J. River, it sounds as good if not better than Foobar, with far greater functionality, tweakability, & usability.

Dec 18, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #285 of 1,958
Ok, good news, just shot M2tech few hours ago with an email about the DS support issue and here's the reply I got.

Quote:

Hi,

it's correct that no direct sound is presently possible with Win 7, but it's also not true at all that a support is not planned: we're working on a new wasapi-compliant driver which will allow for direct sound. It will come for free. We only put this topic at a low importance leve, as direct sound is not bit perfet nor high quality listening. hiFace was aimed at audiophiles who are not really interested to listen to Youtube or similar. For audiophiles, a PC IS to be a music transport, the more transparent as possible.
Anyway, we're working on it right now: market dictates.

Best regards,

Marco Manunta

So it's seems like we will still get DS but no very soon
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back