'US Bank' scammed me! after I got scammed by an eBay seller; then, Paypal isn't accomodating.
Mar 4, 2009 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

100+ Head-Fier
I bought an iPhone from eBay in November. When it arrived, it's actually being shipped from China; I wouldn't buy it at the first place had I known it's from China. The seller advertised the item is shipped from the States.

So, I quickly open the Paypal dispute. I paid through Paypal, with my US Bank Check Card/ debit card. The seller offers me like 50% refund, and said that he/she was being frauded him/herself. It's not my fault, so I rejected the offer and ask him/her to give me the full refund, plus the shipping cost if he/she wanted the fake iPhone back. No replies.

Since it takes a long time for Paypal to process the dispute, I called US Bank to do the charge back. The representative said that I should be expecting a form to fill in, in about 7 days. 2 weeks later, I called back since I haven't received anymore information. I asked why didn't I get any additional information, forms to fill in, etc, but the representative said they've deposited the money and decided that I won the dispute; it was December 8th.

By December 24th at 00:05 a.m., I went home abroad, until March 1st. I was surprised to see a withdrawl of the original deposit from the charge back, from my January's account statement; the withdrawl was dated December 26, but I didn't know this until now, that I saw my account statement. FYI,I didn't use the internet banking.

Paypal sent me an email on December 23rd, at around 5 pm. There's no way I could have had time to pack the fake iPhone, and send it to the post office, because I had to be at the airport in less than 5 hours, and the post office would close by the time I got there.

I didn't really care about paypal dispute, since I got my money back from a card charge back; that's what I thought at the time.

But today, when I called US bank, talked to the fraud dept representative, who even dare to letting me know that he's going to hang up the phone because supposedly I gave him an attitude, then I asked to talk to his supervisor.

His supervisor was calm and patient. But, when I asked him what's going on with the withdrawal of the deposit money from the charge back, he said that they didn't have the required documents to follow through with the claim. I told him that I called the dept 2 weeks after I filed the dispute, and that his dept said that I won the dispute and didn't need to do anything else. He still insisted that I needed to fill in the documents required.

But I didn't receive the forms to fill in! And when I asked who told me that I won the dispute, he said that he didn't have that information/ recordings about that. (Wow, so US Bank doesn't even know which employees handle which problems/disputes!) Then, I asked whose fault was it, that I didn't receive the required forms to fill in; he said, 'It's the Post Office.'

Is there anything I could do to get my money back? I could've done the paypal dispute process, had they informed me faster. Heck, I could've also fill out the forms that US Bank wanted me to fill in, had they sent me those forms. But it's them who told me that I've won the dispute. Now, 60 days has passed from the December 8th, when US bank originally deposited the money, and they said I'm not getting my money back unless the seller returns them, which is impossible since I wouldn't do all this lengthy process in the first place if the seller would return all my money. HELP!

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 11
It sounds like you missed the window to file a formal dispute because you were out of contact for a couple of months.

Missing forms usually won't change that and you only have a few phone calls to go on. I can't say for sure, but I think you blew a deadline or two being out of the country.

Further, I'm not sure if there's much you can do. The only thing I can think of is to threaten to pull your business from US Bank. They probably won't care, but you never know.

In the future, document everything. Never, ever make phone calls. Instead, send letters by certified mail, return receipt requested. Print every email and communication. Do not use the phone. Again, do not use the phone. If there is a dispute, you want paper to prove your side. Recounting a conversation with an agent you don't have the name of will not cut it. Letters do, especially if you have return receipts.

Sorry that happened to you, though.

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 11
That sucks...you can't go through paypal anymore. Why can't they send you the forms to fill out again...isn't this still considered an unresolved dispute? Your bank is pretty much the only source that you can go through if you want your money back. Good luck.

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 11
Got a lawyer?

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 11
It is indeed..
mad.gif
They can send me the forms to fill out again, but it's passed that '60 days period' so even after I sent them all the required documents, I still won't get my money back because the seller doesn't have to answer me by now. It's US Bank's fraud dept, saying I've won the dispute, that made me lost all my chances of actually getting my money back. I could've gotten my money back if they..
1. really did send me the forms to fill out the first place,
2. didn't mistakenly informed me that I've won the dispute, 2 weeks after I opened the dispute. (I called the first place asking why I didn't receive any forms to fill in, but US Bank actually lied to me, saying I've won the dispute)

Because I thought I've won the dispute, I didn't really care about getting my money through paypal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by musako6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sucks...you can't go through paypal anymore. Why can't they send you the forms to fill out again...isn't this still considered an unresolved dispute? Your bank is pretty much the only source that you can go through if you want your money back. Good luck.

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #6 of 11
I don't. Wouldn't the lawyer fees be more expensive than the price of the iPhone, $649?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got a lawyer?

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #7 of 11
Your only chance that I can see, is to contact the Better Business Bureau and launch a complaint. They resolved an issue for me.

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't. Wouldn't the lawyer fees be more expensive than the price of the iPhone, $649?

Not for me, but yet again, i have a legal expense plan,so.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 11
I don't want to think about how many times I lost money with eBay. Do the deals make up for it? I feel your frustration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back