Us and our funny accents...
Feb 17, 2005 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
How many accents do you have?

I for one can speak english in at least 4-5 different accents and I am polishing up on accent #3 - Britspeak...

Why?

Headed to London (the original England...none of the "new england" crap
tongue.gif
) this summer and I am going to be quite busy with my Aunt and Uncle helping them plan and execute two BIG parties. First is for my aunt's 40th Birthday and the second is just for the heck of it.

In the twixt, I have to brush up on "common" brit responses to certain questions. Most questions are just asked for the sake of being polite...

Like...

"Wotcha!! Having Fun?" to which I would have to say "Rude not to!" with a stupid grin on my face that is trying desperately to convey the image of an individual so trapped up in "FUN" that he cant smile like a normal person.

Another question would be "So how is the economy in Bush World?" and I would say "Well...Can I get you another drink?" and change the subject as fast as I can.

Another popular question is "So what do you do?" and I would say "Very well thank you! and how about you? "
tongue.gif

The point is - nobody listens and everybody speaks at these parties. I cant wait to go there because the Neighbour is an interesting fellow who was responsible for the success of groups like ABBA, Carpenters and many more (cant remember...see...nobody listens
tongue.gif
).

At one of these parties in, I think 2003 Summer, I happened to meet an artist who used his behind and whistle as painting tools...I hear his paintings fetch quite a sum and are highly sought after by the women folk.

Strange place...London...and strange people...

Which is why I like it so much better than here where everything is vanilla. Nobody is politically correct in the UK and they will tell you to "KISS THEIR HAIRY ARSE" if you ask them to be politically correct. People speak their minds...

And nobody listens...

blink.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 51
yo, just bring some good 'ol American music and a pair of Grados and give all of the Hi-Fi shops a proper visit...'nuff said. Also, take lots of pics of pretty Brit girls.

Feb 17, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 51
you gotta learn my accent, it's called "i'm from ny, and i mumble cuz i dont give a flying screw."

It's really rewarding in all it's subleties and nuisances, and lots of other useless crap.

ya know?

Feb 17, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 51
In case anyone wonders what an "American" accent sounds like, among other things, we tend to "schwa" (ə) all of our vowels. Ever since learning this, I notice it and it drives me nuts. Think about the way most of us pronounce "Hilarious." Do you say it like "Hill," eneunciating the "I", or more like "Huh" ("Huh"-larious)?

Feb 17, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #5 of 51
GS>It's how do you do? Not what do you do.

I love the new yark accent especially jersey and brooklyn accent.

Also sometimes I talk to Zanth on the phone. One day his wife answered at first I thought she was Australian. Then I remember that part of canada is french-candian!!!!!

GS> We have to meet up mate. Bleedin right we do guvnor.
I love the London accent specifically the cockney one. Especially the girls they sound well up for it.

Feb 17, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 51
American Accent is easy, I've lived in Sydney for 3 years and still it's hard for me sometimes to understand what those Aussies talking about, especially older white male.
During Sydney 2000, it's so easy to pick out and listen to Americans.

Feb 17, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 51
Which is why I like it so much better than here where everything is vanilla. Nobody is politically correct in the UK and they will tell you to "KISS THEIR HAIRY ARSE" if you ask them to be politically correct. People speak their minds...

You aint been hangin around the right americans if this is what you think. Real america aint collegetown!!!

Feb 17, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #15 of 51
Or if you want sad, visit the south. Even North Carolina is frightening enough. I still maintain that having a southern accent automatically drops your IQ by 10 points. (and no, I didn't rip Foxworthy off... I never heard his schpeel on that subject) What's really amusing is the juxtaposition of Asheville and the surrounding area. Asheville is like this oasis in the middle of a cultural desert. Drive 10 minutes outside of Asheville, and you'll hear the twinges of an accent. Leicester, for instance. (which, FYI, can be pronounced Les-ter, Lee-cess-ter, or Lie-chest-er) Drive another 10 minutes, and you'll hit Hick Central. I cite Marshall as this example. My sister goes to school in Marshall, and it's downright frightening. Xenophobic, racist, and hopeless to the core. They have such a drawl you can't understand them, 75% of them are on some drug or another (not that I have a problem with that, at least pot, but I digress...), much of which they grow themselves. And yet if you go into Asheville, hardly anyone has a drawl. Eastern accent if anything. Ashevillians are, for the most part, intelligent, well spoken, free thinking, and accepting people. They don't care what you look like, how you talk, or who you vote for. Marshall residents will either run away or lynch you (depending how aggressive they are, and how bad your violation is) if you're wearing something other than Carhartts, or, god forbid, didn't vote Republican. Not to turn this into a political debate, or get it locked, but seriously, that's how they are. It's scary.

/rant off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back