Us and our funny accents...
Feb 18, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #46 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd
Type slower I'm having problems understanding your accents.

And American the clearest English - I think not!!!!
eek.gif

It's bad enough with those Welsh and Scottish neighbours thinking they can speak it properly
biggrin.gif
(insert Pinkfloyd Scottish response here).

Come to think of it the Northerners in the UK and those in the west country all spoil it. Darn perhaps it's just moi. C'est la vie as we say in London.

English for the English (team of 1)
confused.gif

I'm a traditional Cockney steve didn't you pick that up when we had a chat on the dog? I live in jockland but I'm not a sweaty I just live up ear guv.

I'm off to get me hampsteads round a ruby and smoke some salmon........... sweet as! lay a big Richard down on Head-Fi and have a good time laying down a Tom Tit into the pot.............

Pinkie.

Mick.

Feb 18, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #47 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd
Type slower I'm having problems understanding your accents.

And American the clearest English - I think not!!!!
eek.gif

It's bad enough with those Welsh and Scottish neighbours thinking they can speak it properly
biggrin.gif
(insert Pinkfloyd Scottish response here).

Come to think of it the Northerners in the UK and those in the west country all spoil it. Darn perhaps it's just moi. C'est la vie as we say in London.

English for the English (team of 1)
confused.gif

I didn't say anything about speaking properly, I said I've been told we speak the most clearly. We pronounce our Rs, etc.
icon10.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #48 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
I didn't say anything about speaking properly, I said I've been told we speak the most clearly.

Sorry I typed in English and you read in American
biggrin.gif

I did type "And American the clearest English - I think not!!!! "

Wheely are yoo twying to take the Mickey
tongue.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #49 of 51
South Carolina accents are just as bad, at least in the upper state. Plus we're generally the poorer cousins of NC. That accent does tend to label you doesn't it? In fact my parents always claimed that if I had such an accent, I would have been dragged to speech therapy. Of course they're a bit different than they were then...

My accent was never too thick, but there was no deyning where I was from. So I still have a little of that mixed in with my husband's accent. If I'm talking to him I pick up his accent. Cashiers actually spoke slowly and loudly to me and asked where I was from.
biggrin.gif
I was even complimented on my English.

Now my Finnish friends may find that surprising, since to them I'm sure I sound like I'm from the south, but in the south, I sound European.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
Or if you want sad, visit the south. Even North Carolina is frightening enough. I still maintain that having a southern accent automatically drops your IQ by 10 points. (and no, I didn't rip Foxworthy off... I never heard his schpeel on that subject) What's really amusing is the juxtaposition of Asheville and the surrounding area. Asheville is like this oasis in the middle of a cultural desert. Drive 10 minutes outside of Asheville, and you'll hear the twinges of an accent. Leicester, for instance. (which, FYI, can be pronounced Les-ter, Lee-cess-ter, or Lie-chest-er) Drive another 10 minutes, and you'll hit Hick Central. I cite Marshall as this example. My sister goes to school in Marshall, and it's downright frightening. Xenophobic, racist, and hopeless to the core. They have such a drawl you can't understand them, 75% of them are on some drug or another (not that I have a problem with that, at least pot, but I digress...), much of which they grow themselves. And yet if you go into Asheville, hardly anyone has a drawl. Eastern accent if anything. Ashevillians are, for the most part, intelligent, well spoken, free thinking, and accepting people. They don't care what you look like, how you talk, or who you vote for. Marshall residents will either run away or lynch you (depending how aggressive they are, and how bad your violation is) if you're wearing something other than Carhartts, or, god forbid, didn't vote Republican. Not to turn this into a political debate, or get it locked, but seriously, that's how they are. It's scary.

/rant off

Feb 18, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #51 of 51
My wife, a school teacher, was denied a position in the public school system because they said she had a speech impediment. While she was interviewing the personel advisor asked her how long she had been in Boston after noticeing her accent. She said , outside of very short vacations I have never been anywhere other than Cincinnati. So they told her it was a speech impediment and that it was not suitable for the position.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back