Us and our funny accents...
Feb 17, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #16 of 51
Quote:

There are hundreds of different American accents. Oh and if you think Americans are easy to understand, then you need to go to New Orleans and talk to some Cajun folks.

been there and done that and to this day I like my ceyanne pepper and my fish 'blackened" ........except channel cat,that needs to be breaded and deep fried louisiana style
icon10.gif
(The Catfish house in Leesville
cool.gif
)

Feb 17, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Ok we are getting pretty random already
tongue.gif

How about a jar?

nah given up the black stuff (guiness) years ago. Yippeeee I understand britspeak.....
rolleyes.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #18 of 51
I do DSL tech support for SBC and as a call progresses I usually find myself employing the accents of the people I speak with. One day I had a British lady call and in the beginning I sounded like a California native and at the end she was commenting on how I sounded just like her brother. Mostly though I get people from the South, Texas is one of our biggest locations that people call from. I am surprised I don't talk with a Southern accent all the time.

Feb 17, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #19 of 51
I find the southern accent a bit hard to "put on"

My american accent is "put on" and its easy for most people to notice...but sometimes I get stuck into this accent and when I go home to India people think I am showing off...they dont realize that when you are stuck here for years together talking with that accent...it just becomes you...

After a while I slip back into my Indian accent which is basically a no-frills british accent without the "accent"
tongue.gif
LOL

The southern accent however is REALLY hard. I had a Prof for VLSI and VHDL and he was from Texas and a Vietnam vet...couldnt understand a WORD he was saying for a few days...then it got easier...

Arithmetic = Rithmatei
smily_headphones1.gif
LOL

Feb 17, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #21 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
i love how english people call routers "root" ers. Always cracked me up when i was working over at the NOC at chase.

Yeah I do pronounce it that way. Hey you understand britspeak as well

Feb 17, 2005 at 9:17 AM Post #22 of 51
I pronounce it r-out-er. That must mean I'm cool...

What I find funny is how many europeans are learning english with an american accent due to all the media influences. My relatives in germany all speak to us in crazy american/english accents.
confused.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 12:33 PM Post #23 of 51
do americans really pronounce routers as "r-out-ers"? that's funny, because the word comes from the french 'la route' - the way, the street. the english (and german) word 'route' is borrowed from it, with the narrower meaning of 'itinerary'. that's where the routers come in, providing the itinerary of internet traffic...
so the "correct" pronunciation IS "root-ers"... everywhere.

then again, admins usually don't root, they rout - so "rout-ers" as in 'a mob of admins' is ok
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 12:47 PM Post #24 of 51
I think everyone should speak as they feel comfortable and not worry about accents. We ALL have accents.

I say r-out-er when talking about the computer network device. I pronounce route as r-out-e when talking about the computer term but I pronounce it root when talking about a bus or train route. In Australia route is pronounced root, but the computer term is usually pronounced r-out-e, most likely due to the American influence in the IT world.

Feb 17, 2005 at 1:16 PM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
There are hundreds of different American accents. Oh and if you think Americans are easy to understand, then you need to go to New Orleans and talk to some Cajun folks.
biggrin.gif

There's probably just as many British accents in a much smaller place
smily_headphones1.gif
As historically it was so much more seperated.

Neighbouring counties have very different accents

Feb 17, 2005 at 1:24 PM Post #26 of 51
no, i DON'T haf an accent, i'm froum austria.
(listen to schwarzenegger - that's the way we talk around here
biggrin.gif
)

i didn't mean to play word-police, but the connotations of "root" on the one and "rout" on the other hand still strikes me as funny...

Feb 17, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #27 of 51
Everyone should check this out: http://www.pbs.org/speak/

I saw this film and it was great, but since there are so many accents it only scratch the surface. They focus on some of the dialects.

Dialect Myths and Reality

MYTH: A dialect is something that SOMEONE ELSE speaks.

REALITY: Everyone who speaks a language speaks some dialect of the language; it is not possible to speak a language without speaking a dialect of the language.

MYTH: Dialects always have highly noticeable features that set them apart.

REALITY: Some dialects get much more attention than others; the status of a dialect, however, is unrelated to public commentary about its special characteristics.

MYTH: Only varieties of a language spoken by socially disfavored groups are dialects.

REALITY: The notion of dialect exists apart from the social status of the language variety; there are socially favored as well as socially disfavored dialects.

MYTH: Dialects result from unsuccessful attempts to speak the "correct" form of a language.

REALITY: Dialect speakers acquire their language by adopting the speech features of those around them, not by failing in their attempts to adopt standard language features.

MYTH: Dialects have no linguistic patterning in their own right; they are derivations from standard speech.

REALITY: Dialects, like all language systems, are systematic and regular; furthermore, socially disfavored dialects can be described with the same kind of precision as standard language varieties.

MYTH: Dialects inherently carry negative connotations.

REALITY: Dialects are not necessarily positively or negatively valued; their social values are derived strictly from the social position of their community of speakers.

Additional Resources

Source: Wolfram, W., & Schilling-Estes, N. American English: Dialects and Variation, Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1998.

Feb 17, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Whats that??
confused.gif

perhaps singaporean english?

As for me, I have a khmer fob accent (when speaking english), yet I'm american born. My voice is really deep, loud, and sometimes raspy.

BTW, I love girls w/ accents. Just do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back