Us and our funny accents...
Feb 17, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #31 of 51
Yes, It's singapore English. It's an English language with Singapore accent and add some Chinese + Malay word. It's easier for me to understand them since I grew up in South east Asia but I'll bet that you will think of it as a foreign language eventhough what they say is english word.
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #32 of 51
I know exactly what you are talking about. My friend back in the Naval Academy was from Singapore and whenever he and his friends got together I swear to god they were speaking chinese/mandarin/malay/whatever but eventually I would notice that they were talking to me, apparently in English the whole time.

I would usually be zoning out at that point, so it made for some funny(to the outside observer) situations.

Feb 17, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
i love how english people call routers "root" ers. Always cracked me up when i was working over at the NOC at chase.

A router is either a root'er = network device or a dentist drilling into your teeth. A row'ter = a woodwork tool
biggrin.gif

Gee, I sure find it kinda hard unnerstanding the way you folks type, it sounds like Dick Van Dyke (Mary Poppins) or Keanu Reeves in any movie trying to be British.

GS
Just talk with a Chennai accent we'll understand that OK. We assume anyone who talks with an American accent who is of Indian origin is from Customer support - no offense I know you have posted on this before
tongue.gif

Steve

Team UK

Feb 17, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #34 of 51
Dis is ta funnist thread I ever did saw. Ya learnt me a lot. I ain't never hered no kind o'thing suchas thisun.
eggosmile.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #35 of 51
And don't forget, "to have an accent" is an irregular verb formation! It's conjugated as follows:

First person: I speak perfect English
Second person: You have an accent
Third person: He / She talks funny

rolleyes.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #36 of 51
I wonder how the American accent sounds to those who don't speak it. Does it sound sophisticated or stupid?

I know this will sound idiotic but I've always felt that the American accent sounds like the most pure and understandable form of spoken English (idiotic statement, don't jump on me yet.)

Feb 17, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #38 of 51
Growing up with constant advertising and terrible american shows like joe millionaire and all the dating ones you see, american accents to me sound corny and plasticy.

I don't mean to offend anyone, and I by no means think the people are like that, its just... that.....damn... TV!!

But in big blockbuster action films, few accents are cooler than americans, that I have to admit. I think the accent can become a bit cliched in england because of the media and films though. And the same has happened with the english accent to americans.

Feb 17, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD-5000
I wonder how the American accent sounds to those who don't speak it. Does it sound sophisticated or stupid?

I know this will sound idiotic but I've always felt that the American accent sounds like the most pure and understandable form of spoken English (idiotic statement, don't jump on me yet.)

I've been told that for a non-native English speaker, Americans are the easiest to understand.

Feb 17, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #40 of 51
I have that Bensonhurst (or Bensonhoist) accent at times, a bit of a NY'er drawl. At other times, i can talk quite clear, all depends on how i breath and how fast i try to get my words out.

At work, we have a a few brits working there, man oh man, i love it when a british babe stops by! Those british accents drive me wild
icon10.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #41 of 51
When I was in LA, it was exactly the same for me, gloco, what is it about women and foreign accents?!

Feb 17, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunShip
When I was in LA, it was exactly the same for me, gloco, what is it about women and foreign accents?!

It's so damn sexy, especially Indian females with British accents...drives me nuts
biggrin.gif

Even better, when they wear skirts...god, i love women in skirts
icon10.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #44 of 51
Type slower I'm having problems understanding your accents.

And American the clearest English - I think not!!!!
eek.gif

It's bad enough with those Welsh and Scottish neighbours thinking they can speak it properly
biggrin.gif
(insert Pinkfloyd Scottish response here).

Come to think of it the Northerners in the UK and those in the west country all spoil it. Darn perhaps it's just moi. C'est la vie as we say in London.

English for the English (team of 1)
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back