URGENT HELP NEEDED FOR HEADPHONES !!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST BOUGHT GRADO SR60i
Feb 18, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #16 of 38

Quote:
Here is a little except from THIS website:

"Knowing that most listeners these days like to hear their bass, I usually strongly recommend the Grado SR80’s to such a listener. They offer the detail the SR60's offer, but with a much improved bass. But you don’t have to take my word for it. The customers who have purchased headphones in our store after comparing headphones side by side, have overwhelmingly preferred the SR80’s. In fact, the SR80’s outsold the SR60’s about five to one!

Now don’t get me wrong, as far as detail goes, in it’s price range, ($69), the SR60’s are the best sounding headphones I have heard! If you are looking for the least expensive headphones which can introduce you to high end sound quality, the SR60’s are second to none. But if you like your bass, and have never heard a pair of SR60’s, a few of you may be a bit disappointed. I often recommend many of you consider spending the $95 for the Grado SR80’s"

If this doesn't answer your question, I don't know what will.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks a lot, that helps...:)

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #17 of 38

Quote:
Here is a little except from THIS website:

"Knowing that most listeners these days like to hear their bass, I usually strongly recommend the Grado SR80’s to such a listener. They offer the detail the SR60's offer, but with a much improved bass. But you don’t have to take my word for it. The customers who have purchased headphones in our store after comparing headphones side by side, have overwhelmingly preferred the SR80’s. In fact, the SR80’s outsold the SR60’s about five to one!

Now don’t get me wrong, as far as detail goes, in it’s price range, ($69), the SR60’s are the best sounding headphones I have heard! If you are looking for the least expensive headphones which can introduce you to high end sound quality, the SR60’s are second to none. But if you like your bass, and have never heard a pair of SR60’s, a few of you may be a bit disappointed. I often recommend many of you consider spending the $95 for the Grado SR80’s"

If this doesn't answer your question, I don't know what will.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks a lot, that helps...:)

Feb 19, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #22 of 38
In my experience, none of the low end grados have much bass. I prefer my senn px100 over my sr80. The px100 has good bass, no treble spike,  comes with a case, and is inexpensive. 

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #24 of 38
Quote:
Hey I was thinking of the M50's BUT the only problem was they were too big to be portable....and of course they do not have the grado sound signature !!!

If you had to pick between the M50's bulkiness vs Grado's for portables, it should be the M50's every time. Grado's are open back headphones and not only have zero isolation, but leak so much sound and is quite disruptive to people around you. Open headphones, especially Grado's should never be used as portables. And according to your first post, you seem to dislike everything about the Grado sound signature anyway.

Again, sounds like you didn't do enough research before buying.

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #25 of 38
If electronic music is your focus, then you should stay away from Grado. I've owned the SR80i and the SR225i, neither of them will provide the bass you're looking for, they also will both leak a lot of sound. You should return them and look into better options. If you bought them at a store then bring an iPod and listen to headphones until you find ones that you do like that also fit your needs.

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #26 of 38
Buying a HPs as critical as buying a pair of speaker. 1. They will produce what's you feed into them being a last part of the process to reproduce the signals . Remember that GIGO.  2. Every manafacture has its own design and its own signature sound. 3. The synergy among the up-stream components and the HPs ( speakers) and lastly your ears are crucial. Only you can decide which one is the weakest link that needs to be improved.

Open cans will give you larger soundstage than closed cans and closed cans in general produce more bass than opened cans.
If you like colored sound either with emphazised on LF ( bass) or HF ( treble), do a search in this forum for the type of cans that can colored the music the way you want. There is always an answer in the forum.

Most audiophiles despite components that produce colored sound and they are in search for a neutral sound but all ears are not created equally among common civilians. Also not all music are transcribed equally . Some are bright and some are muddy. A good system as well as a good pair of cans will reproduce the sound as it is recorded but it seems it is not the case with the IPOD/ MP3 generation.

Wellcome to the audio world where there is no wrong or right answer but only you and your taste of music can dictate that. It's a journey of trial and error and I wish you the best. 

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #27 of 38
I love my new m50s and they are not at all too bulky (in my tastes) to use as portable devices. I heard Grados have much better high and mid representation, but are better suited for rock and acoustic music, but I mostly listen to EDM so I got the m50s. Even before the burn in period I love how they sound!

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #28 of 38

Quote:

If you had to pick between the M50's bulkiness vs Grado's for portables, it should be the M50's every time. Grado's are open back headphones and not only have zero isolation, but leak so much sound and is quite disruptive to people around you. Open headphones, especially Grado's should never be used as portables. And according to your first post, you seem to dislike everything about the Grado sound signature anyway.

Again, sounds like you didn't do enough research before buying.

Hey thanks for the advice........ive researched a lot about the M50's and everyone keeps complaining how big they are and can only be used in the studio.........in relation to what u said about Grado...Im actually getting a bit annoyed with mine because when im in noisy environments so much sound enters the headphones that I can hardly hear anything. 

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #29 of 38

Quote:
If electronic music is your focus, then you should stay away from Grado. I've owned the SR80i and the SR225i, neither of them will provide the bass you're looking for, they also will both leak a lot of sound. You should return them and look into better options. If you bought them at a store then bring an iPod and listen to headphones until you find ones that you do like that also fit your needs.

Do you have any recommendations ?

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #30 of 38

Quote:
I love my new m50s and they are not at all too bulky (in my tastes) to use as portable devices. I heard Grados have much better high and mid representation, but are better suited for rock and acoustic music, but I mostly listen to EDM so I got the m50s. Even before the burn in period I love how they sound!

All I listen to is EDM, so ure saying they are really good ? Lot of ppl in reviews have said that the M50 is too big for portable use......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back