URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 Impressions thread
Apr 17, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #511 of 1,184
Mine is 2 months old maybe and honestly they are sitting in my shelf without any use now. On first day was excited and listened a lot to electronic music, but got tired and once switched to acoustic I straight away knew whats the cause. On better source they scale, but that cheap highs was still there, maybe you could EQ it, but it hits even when female sings on higher freq. Bass is really good, it’s actually forgivable for agressive music, well detailed, clean but unfortunately not musical. These will definetely get head time when corona is over and I need some music banging in the gym :)

Apr 17, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #512 of 1,184
urban.png

edit: I messed up the label before, now corrected
could be unit variance, non-Be version is almost certain it is the correct one because it bought it when Be version is out of stock at taobao, but Be version is a mystery because the packaging and earphone of both versions looks identical. I asked CS is there any way to distinguish between them he/she just answered I will get what I ordered.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #513 of 1,184
Mine is 2 months old maybe and honestly they are sitting in my shelf without any use now. On first day was excited and listened a lot to electronic music, but got tired and once switched to acoustic I straight away knew whats the cause. On better source they scale, but that cheap highs was still there, maybe you could EQ it, but it hits even when female sings on higher freq. Bass is really good, it’s actually forgivable for agressive music, well detailed, clean but unfortunately not musical. These will definetely get head time when corona is over and I need some music banging in the gym :)
That sounds like a typical high emphasized iems. Great for edm, but sucks for vocals.

When I look at Crin's measurement, the peak is at 8k, and others 9k or so. Insertion depth?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #515 of 1,184
That sounds like a typical high emphasized iems. Great for edm, but sucks for vocals.

When I look at Crin's measurement, the peak is at 8k, and others 9k or so. Insertion depth?

Not a fan of EDM, but I can say that in techno I liked everything/ hip hop sounds good too, I believe many not demanding tracks should be good as well.
As I said before these are more for fun listening and they are very good there, have that energy, sparkle, was very impressed by amount of detail from such cheap device, but once I hit my LP collection it was tonally off and soulless, and it's not even that I know my music by heart, was digging on other records, but couldn't get that touch of realness

Apr 17, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #516 of 1,184
Well, sadly the situation could have been avoided if they just stuck with 1 driver version.

Or made some way to differentiate them, like 2 different colored shells.

I am not even sure why they felt the need to have 2 different drivers in the same model. It doesn’t really make any sense, and just causes confusion and loss of sales.

Is this about them trying to make money?
Sell an initial version with a more expensive driver and get a frenzy going. Then change to a cheaper driver and make some money?
I’m not sure if there would be a big difference but surely beryllium is a more expensive material to use.

Apr 17, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #517 of 1,184
Sell an initial version with a more expensive driver and get a frenzy going. Then change to a cheaper driver and make some money?
I’m not sure if there would be a big difference but surely beryllium is a more expensive material to use.
If that is the case it is a disgusting move from them. I dont have any single Beryllium dd except for the Shozy form 1.1 ( beryllium dd + ba) and the bass IS different from my other iems but that can be the tuning more than the material itself...so im not sure if beryllium does anything different beside being a great marketing tool.

Apr 17, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #518 of 1,184
Hopefully not as it wouldn't take Einstein to understand the destructive nature of that approach :smirk:

Apr 17, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #519 of 1,184

I don't think so, because on Taobao they freely and openly offered each version for sale. You would just select which driver version you wanted, and that's what they'd send you. Unfortunately, the sellers on Aliexpress didn't do that, so it became a mystery which one you'd get.

Apr 17, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #520 of 1,184
I find the entire situation ridiculous as the cost difference to "coat" something that freaking small cannot possibly warrant the added cost of producing BOTH! From a business perspective I can think of no other word than ridiculous. Charge $5 more, sell 50% more, and enjoy! :beerchug:

Apr 17, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #521 of 1,184
I find the entire situation ridiculous as the cost difference to "coat" something that freaking small cannot possibly warrant the added cost of producing BOTH! From a business perspective I can think of no other word than ridiculous. Charge $5 more, sell 50% more, and enjoy! :beerchug:
I agree.
Maybe it’s a matter of being able to get enough of a component too that makes a supplier source an alternative.
Mine were ordered direct off linsoul 5-6 weeks ago so will be a lucky dip what i get.

Apr 17, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #522 of 1,184
I agree.
Maybe it’s a matter of being able to get enough of a component too that makes a supplier source an alternative.
Mine were ordered direct off linsoul 5-6 weeks ago so will be a lucky dip what i get.
I ordered mine from Linsoul on March 13th and took delivery on 4/2. Have no clue what driver it has and as I've stated before, couldn't be happier with them. I love most everything about them and I'm still using an unbalanced stock cable. I would like to be able to compare known sets of BE and non-BE as I'm curious.

Apr 17, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #523 of 1,184
Just a little follow up here: I did a bit more comparing and I'd say that the lesser of my BLONs is preferable to these, too, for essentially the same reasons. I've been defaulting to Tennmak Whirlwind tips, but the Spiral Dots (L) seem like a better match for me with the ISS014 since the highest part of the range seems a bit better controlled with them. I should say that I'm not disappointed with these. It's still early for me but I think they are better than all my other IEMs except for the BLONs. BGGAR heavily hyped these and ranked them above the BLONs. I can't co-sign that, but I still like them.

I don't feel like I have a reason to doubt whether they have beryllium-coated drivers. Maybe that's the issue, but the more likely explanation for our differing experiences, I think, is just unit variation and variation among us enthusiasts. Obviously, I can attest to differences in sound among BLONs. I feel lucky that one of my BLONs is so good.

Apr 17, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #524 of 1,184
well the pair that i made a review on was a brutal bass monster, it seem that the later owners are not experiencing that, it is unit variation or different tuning all together with different driver

Apr 17, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #525 of 1,184
urban.png
edit: I messed up the label before, now corrected
could be unit variance, non-Be version is almost certain it is the correct one because it bought it when Be version is out of stock at taobao, but Be version is a mystery because the packaging and earphone of both versions looks identical. I asked CS is there any way to distinguish between them he/she just answered I will get what I ordered.

Thanks for posting it! Assuming it's not a unit variance, the noble metal is skewed to the higher frequencies with a slight boost, may it'll translate to a brighter signature for some people. The bass shouldn't be much different, though. At least my pair is quite bass-heavy, especially with the right tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back