URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 Impressions thread
Apr 8, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #481 of 1,184
That’s another device that has to be attached to my iphone, i doubt it outperforms my portable oppo ha2se, which i barely use due to additional weight i my pockets and cable mess

Wonder for the quality of these... bluetooth to external dac, though logically should work. I’m not fan of any EQ so will try for a cheaper route

Well, only you can decide if it’s worth the trade offs. For some people it is, and for others it’s not.

Apr 8, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #482 of 1,184
I would put money on the fact that the ES100 would blow your mind. It's not a massive investment vs the performance gain. And like @Slater said, it's the size of a stick of gum. Plug your headphones into while it sits in your opposite pocket - nothing attached to the phone yet it's so small, I'm sure you will see/appreciate the performance gain vs the VERY SMALL trade-off of this little device in an opposite pocket. Buy it from Amazon and if you don't realize or feel the benefits as discussed here, you can return it for a full refund - no harm done. I'm ALL IN on the fact YOU WONT RETURN IT! :beerchug:

Apr 8, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #483 of 1,184
You guys got me interested in those bluetooth dac/amps, but there are many in game here...did anyone had a chance to test with ifi xcan ? Damn if these thingies can give a bit of extra power and better quality from my iphone over BT it's as steal for me as I could use with my on ears as well on the go..

Sorry for off topic

Apr 9, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #484 of 1,184
You guys got me interested in those bluetooth dac/amps, but there are many in game here...did anyone had a chance to test with ifi xcan ? Damn if these thingies can give a bit of extra power and better quality from my iphone over BT it's as steal for me as I could use with my on ears as well on the go..

Sorry for off topic

You can check this thread out where folks discuss all about BT amps/Dac - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...es-bluetooth-headphone-adapter-thread.906655/

Apr 9, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #485 of 1,184
Apr 9, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #487 of 1,184
Cant wait to get my hands on this iem, have been waiting almost a month so far (ordered from Linsoul). Will share my experiences here.
Maybe I missed it but what IEM did you order/waiting on?

Apr 9, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #489 of 1,184
I've bought the YBF with the gray cable on DD-Audio store some weeks ago just for curiosity's sake and I got it yesterday. My pair was inside the carry case, which in my case is just a plain carry case instead of one embossed with the UF monkey.

Fit-wise and QC-wise, no issues at all. I like that you can wear them cable-down swapping sides and wearing a straight MMCX cable without ear hooks, judging by pictures I thought the shell would be bigger, it's a tiny IEM and rather comfortable to me. As far as my poor man's measurement rig goes, they have a perfect channel matching (and the curve is very similar to the one crinacle measured). No MMCX issues so far regarding the sound losing the signal or loose socket.

My initial impressions are positive, the Urbanfun has hefty lows and just a bit too much for my taste. When the music has strong sub-bass they definitely won't be shy and give a nice massage to your ears. It's a cool effect for electronic music that I listen to (e.g. Jon Hopkins, Rival Consoles, Fakear, deadmau5, Ruby My Dear, Trentemøller etc...) but after some hours of playtime, it can be a bit tiring but I've found a good solution without EQ*.

Also, it's a good match for metal, drums sound fast and punch, might vocals won't be as smooth as the blons since the overall timbre is more sharpened on the YBF so it can give a bit less "emotional" presentation and more energetic version of the music. I can see people who are into some calm genre preferring the Blon over YBF. It works excellent with something more lax like Leprous, Soen, TesseracT or harsher like the Igorrr - Parpaing or Illdisposed - I believe In Me. Since I listen to 80% prog-metal and 20% electronic I gotta say I'm happy with the purchase.

I'm still in the process of tip-rolling and evaluating the sound, so might my impressions change after some time, for now, I settled with Sony Hybrids and liking the Radioshack (Auvio) tips, but I like a bit darker presentation then the Sony works better in this case.

* My solution for less bass is just covering the top-vent with blu-tack. I do prefer a bit less elevation in this area and that works well for my personal taste, YMMV.
Here's the graphs showing the effect:
chrome_2020-04-09_17-19-08.png
It's not a drastic change, but enough to be less tiring and better controlled for me.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #491 of 1,184
Apr 10, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #492 of 1,184
I've bought the YBF with the gray cable on DD-Audio store some weeks ago just for curiosity's sake and I got it yesterday. My pair was inside the carry case, which in my case is just a plain carry case instead of one embossed with the UF monkey.

Fit-wise and QC-wise, no issues at all. I like that you can wear them cable-down swapping sides and wearing a straight MMCX cable without ear hooks, judging by pictures I thought the shell would be bigger, it's a tiny IEM and rather comfortable to me. As far as my poor man's measurement rig goes, they have a perfect channel matching (and the curve is very similar to the one crinacle measured). No MMCX issues so far regarding the sound losing the signal or loose socket.

My initial impressions are positive, the Urbanfun has hefty lows and just a bit too much for my taste. When the music has strong sub-bass they definitely won't be shy and give a nice massage to your ears. It's a cool effect for electronic music that I listen to (e.g. Jon Hopkins, Rival Consoles, Fakear, deadmau5, Ruby My Dear, Trentemøller etc...) but after some hours of playtime, it can be a bit tiring but I've found a good solution without EQ*.

Also, it's a good match for metal, drums sound fast and punch, might vocals won't be as smooth as the blons since the overall timbre is more sharpened on the YBF so it can give a bit less "emotional" presentation and more energetic version of the music. I can see people who are into some calm genre preferring the Blon over YBF. It works excellent with something more lax like Leprous, Soen, TesseracT or harsher like the Igorrr - Parpaing or Illdisposed - I believe In Me. Since I listen to 80% prog-metal and 20% electronic I gotta say I'm happy with the purchase.

I'm still in the process of tip-rolling and evaluating the sound, so might my impressions change after some time, for now, I settled with Sony Hybrids and liking the Radioshack (Auvio) tips, but I like a bit darker presentation then the Sony works better in this case.

* My solution for less bass is just covering the top-vent with blu-tack. I do prefer a bit less elevation in this area and that works well for my personal taste, YMMV.
It's not a drastic change, but enough to be less tiring and better controlled for me.
can you show me the full graph of this? thanks

Apr 13, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #493 of 1,184

Do the vocals on the blons sound more warmer to your ears? I'm more of a fan of a lively listen with fast decays. Slower decays and warmer presentations usually bore me a little aswell.

Apr 13, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #494 of 1,184
can you show me the full graph of this? thanks

I'm using a mic from my old headset and a vinyl tube so unfortunate it starts rolling-off past ~7 kHz, it's pointless posting it here when we have already better graphs (crin, bggar, yours) that wouldn't be misleading. I just posted it to show the differences regarding covering each vent and its effectiveness, which can be replicated by everyone. Also, I meant by similar to crin's graph is the curve and peaks pattern, not 100% identical since I'm neither using a 711 coupler nor a high-end mic (I should've worded it better).

Do the vocals on the blons sound more warmer to your ears? I'm more of a fan of a lively listen with fast decays. Slower decays and warmer presentations usually bore me a little aswell.

I just can vouch for my units, it's kinda a nightmare comparing things head to head when you know people say blons have such unit variance or in YBF's case a different version with a different driver coating because I don't know if it'll translate well to your pairs. Also, I only like Blon with the MH755/hybrids tips on - the stock tip it's kinda meh to me.

Vocals are really up to your taste, blon is warmer but I like both with vocals tracks that I'm deeply familiarized with (e.g. Leprous Malina album or Jeff Buckley). But despite the blon having more mid-bass, the YBF can get down to the bottom octave with a satisfying rumble when the music calls for it, and I like this "fuller" effect. Also, if you prefer fast decays, imo the YBFs are faster than blon, not as fast as the FDX1 though.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #495 of 1,184
YBF should fit you, their signature is for exciting and energetic sound if you don’t mid a bit sharpness in mid/highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back