URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 Impressions thread
Mar 30, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #376 of 1,184
Well, I don't think they are polarizing at all. Just different folks with different tastes. Crinacle's review seems like a fast pragmatic review OOTB, no examples of songs, no info about tips or tip-rolling, no bass section analysis, it was just a bit shallow to me but it's just his opinion. The Nympho guy has a huge bias against BGGAR on his facebook group, so I don't take his opinion that seriously.

QC-wise not even big bucks IEMs can escape QC issues (just look at the campfire solaris' FR graphs on crinacle's website, oBravo cupid, or even crin's troubleshoot on his 64 audio N8). I just prefer to not overthink that much to dismiss things but to each their own.
IMO: oBravo have driver flex, and is very tip depending. Also position inside ear is very important.
They could deliver sound in range 1/10 and 10/10.

Our ears are dfferent, we have different tastes, and setups. Audio is an adventure. :)

UF YBF is good, but not A or S grade, for sure. Just because not this level of detail and technicalities. Otherwise very good.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #377 of 1,184
I've got three pairs purchased over a spread of three months and besides some minor unit variations they are essentially the same. Hopefully it'll remain the same with the two new pairs I have ordered (they haven't shipped yet).

I'll probably measure them all and swap earpieces try to have very well matched channels for at least a pair or two (not that any of my pairs sounds horribly unmatched).

Mar 31, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #378 of 1,184
I've got three pairs purchased over a spread of three months and besides some minor unit variations they are essentially the same. Hopefully it'll remain the same with the two new pairs I have ordered (they haven't shipped yet).

What do you do with all those purchased pairs, if it's not a secret?

For some reason while reading to ybf thread, I often get feeling like "dharmasteve" and "chickenmoon" are here only for UF hype. They defend UF, like they were paid for promoting it

Mar 31, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #379 of 1,184

For some reason while reading to ybf thread, I often get feeling like "dharmasteve" and "chickenmoon" are here only for UF hype. They defend UF, like they were paid for promoting it
Most stupid post of the year. Paranoia eh? I get paid for nothing and speak honestly. Maybe you get paid to undermine people? Sad man.

Mar 31, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #380 of 1,184
About Crinacle's review, I think there are some points to get across:
-C+ isn't a bad ranking: in the entry level segment, only the GR07, T4, MH755, Starfield and ER2SE/XR scored higher
-reading the review, we can see that Crinacle's deemed the Urbanfan competent under a technical point of view, and the main issue was the FR/overall tonal balance: that means that if you aren't bothered by the "Chi-Fi V-Shape" or are willing to use EQ/micropore tape/tip rolling etc, the Urbanfan could still be a good value for money IEM

Mar 31, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #381 of 1,184

To me they are so good and cheap enough that I bought several pairs as spares in case of loss or breakage. Is that a good enough answer or does it only reinforce your impression that I'm only here for the hype because I'm being paid for it?

Mar 31, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #382 of 1,184

I don’t think it is any stranger than those of us who have 20+ IEMs in our collection... we can’t possibly need or use all of them, yet my guess is that we still look to add more to the collection :)

Mar 31, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #383 of 1,184
About Crinacle's review, I think there are some points to get across:
-C+ isn't a bad ranking: in the entry level segment, only the GR07, T4, MH755, Starfield and ER2SE/XR scored higher
-reading the review, we can see that Crinacle's deemed the Urbanfan competent under a technical point of view, and the main issue was the FR/overall tonal balance: that means that if you aren't bothered by the "Chi-Fi V-Shape" or are willing to use EQ/micropore tape/tip rolling etc, the Urbanfan could still be a good value for money IEM

Take his ratings and what he says just like everybody else's, with a grain of salt. I personally regard his rating as mostly "theoretical" since they are mostly not IEMs he owns but had limited ear time with in maybe not the best of environments and some probably years apart from each other. I own a number of IEMs he has rated or reviewed and I agree with some and disagree with other. As for the quite derogatory and dismissive "Typical Chi-Fi V-Shape" expletive you mention, I'd just forget about it completely. For example, Periodic Be and UF ISS014 have quite similar frequency response with the Be being more v-shape than the UF yet I can't recall that expletive being used for the Be, though to be fair he doesn't quite like its stock tuning for probably this very reason and presumably rates it higher for its superior technical ability (which I personally don't hear). The Be costs about 6 times the price of the UF btw.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #384 of 1,184
I just prefer to not overthink that much to dismiss things but to each their own.

Especially now. There are more important things to think about. It would be nice if we could just enjoy what we enjoy and let others do the same.

Mar 31, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #385 of 1,184
Take his ratings and what he says just like everybody else's, with a grain of salt. I personally regard his rating as mostly "theoretical" since they are mostly not IEMs he owns but had limited ear time with in maybe not the best of environments and some probably years apart from each other. I own a number of IEMs he has rated or reviewed and I agree with some and disagree with other. As for the quite derogatory and dismissive "Typical Chi-Fi V-Shape" expletive you mention, I'd just forget about it completely. For example, Periodic Be and UF ISS014 have quite similar frequency response with the Be being more v-shape than the UF yet I can't recall that expletive being used for the Be, though to be fair he doesn't quite like its stock tuning for probably this very reason and presumably rates it higher for its superior technical ability (which I personally don't hear). The Be costs about 6 times the price of the UF btw.
Actually you can see that the Be has an emphasis in the lower treble (around 6 kHz), putting it in the "traditional v-shape" category, while the Urbanfun has an emphasis in the upper midrange (2-5 kHz), which is more a Chi-Fi tuning thing

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #386 of 1,184
Actually you can see that the Be has an emphasis in the lower treble (around 6 kHz), putting it in the "traditional v-shape" category, while the Urbanfun has an emphasis in the upper midrange (2-5 kHz), which is more a Chi-Fi tuning thing
Not challenging or disagreeing... can someone explain the concept of “Chi-Fi?

Mar 31, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #387 of 1,184

I see but in my own measurements which I posted somewhere in this thread they nearly perfectly match in shape with the Be being more emphasized and I am 100% certain I used same tips, setting and insertion depth for my measurements. This is not to say his measurements are sloppy but I am sure of mine.

Anyway, ain't the MH755 somewhat a typical chi-fi v-shape too?

Mar 31, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #388 of 1,184
Not challenging or disagreeing... can someone explain the concept of “Chi-Fi?

It shouldn't mean anything more than "hi-fi" designed and made in China I guess but it sure sometimes carries a derogatory connotation (depending on context).

Mar 31, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #389 of 1,184
The problem is that hype get's so big that you really expect some magic from a budget iem, reviewers saying it's a high end sound and beating x times more expensive phones make me smile now. I think people tend to praise them even more due to it's low price and I do get it why many love them. It's fun to listen to, has nice low frequencies and a bit in your face attitude, but in the need to show off it reveals it's faults. You can do a simple test, play Charlotte Day Wilson - Work and try the same track on high end phones(YBF puts vocals all over the track, shouty and unnatural, ) It's go to IEM for fun listening and music enjoyment for those who will like this kind of "crispness" and coloring mid/high section.In todays age it seems a thing to extract more "micro details", having pin point imaging, leaving tonality, the real sound aside, but maybe going that route they wouldn't receive so much rave as they do now, or would they ?

Mar 31, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #390 of 1,184
The Periodic Be is my favorite IEM, I suppose I will have to try the urbanfun to see what I think.

edit: just bought it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back