URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 Impressions thread
Mar 30, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #361 of 1,184
I don't like him either (his opinions I mean). Bggar says the Tri i3 is a D tier iem, (that's rubbish), and it's an excellent one. Also says that the Blon is one of the best (well, it's a fun Iem, but that's it) and praised the Form Shozy 1.1 which to me is a Meh Iem (being generous).

I think for me you need to match your taste and the reviewers.
If both sync, the outcome usually is pretty OK.

Mar 30, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #363 of 1,184
Crinacle's criticism of the UF has much to see with the, in his opinion, too boosted upper mids which makes it shrill, shouty and telephonic sounding and says he can't rate them too good because of that. This makes me wonder why he rates the FD JVCs highly as they are so much more upper-mid boosted than the UF and have no bass to counterbalance...

Mar 30, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #364 of 1,184
Crinacle's criticism of the UF has much to see with the, in his opinion, too boosted upper mids which makes it shrill, shouty and telephonic sounding and says he can't rate them too good because of that. This makes me wonder why he rates the FD JVCs highly as they are so much more upper-mid boosted than the UF and have no bass to counterbalance...

graph (30).png

Mar 30, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #365 of 1,184

According to your graphs undampened FDs have similar upper-mid elevation to the UF so should be more shouty, shrill, telephonic than the UF as they have less bass.

Dampened FD seem more balanced but unfortunately to my ears sound less good due to too subdued treble/air.

Mar 30, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #366 of 1,184
I bought ybf iss014 as well fallowing the hype train, went out for a run, feeding techno to them tzusing, lena wilikens, etc and was amazed by aggressiveness and amount of details they bring (bass tightness and pace/ treble was very prominent in tracks). I did get tired though after 2hrs of straight listening and instinctively took them off on the way home(treble, but it's not piercing in any way I'm just used to different sound signature). Than decided to spin my music collection with Charles Jr by Jorge Ben and that's where things start to fall apart for this IEM. Bassy guitar notes sounds great, but higher ones are a bit unrealistic for me, as well vocal of Jorge himself seems grainy and a bit sharp, though well detailed. Next Passarinho by Gal Costa and vocal reproduction differences are even more obvious here, they miss that mellow sound of amazing Costa's singin comparing to my pm-3, as well that swing when instruments kick in after the intro of the song is gone, so I decided to test Erza - Garten meiner Fantasie, very "airy" track with vocals and drum parts echoing and perfectly layering one on another, it's there, but it doesn't have that amount of air and stretch, especially the drum part, it bumps and it's gone quickly, same story with vocals, though it is more forgiving on this track. From my point of view these sound amazing with electronic music, maybe it will perfectly fit rock/metal, aggressive genres( highs/bass/subbass), but on instrumental songs I can sense that things are out of tune, it doesn't draw me into music or make me feel like artist is really performing in front of me. However for the price you can't really complain, it puts to shame my 2.5x more expensive multidriver fiio and stands strong with tin audio t2, but I doubt that there is a way to find "magic" in such price bucket. Happy I didn't order impatiently kz zs10 I truly these would have been real disappointment for me

Mar 30, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #367 of 1,184
According to your graphs undampened FDs have similar upper-mid elevation to the UF so should be more shouty, shrill, telephonic than the UF as they have less bass.

Dampened FD seem more balanced but unfortunately to my ears sound less good due to too subdued treble/air.

I don't particularly like the undamped FDX1 (AKA normal FD01) either, for your stated reasons. In terms of other things besides FR, the driver of the FDX1 is quite a bit more capable and the basslines are definitely a lot cleaner in comparison.

Mar 30, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #368 of 1,184
I don't particularly like the undamped FDX1 (AKA normal FD01) either, for your stated reasons. In terms of other things besides FR, the driver of the FDX1 is quite a bit more capable and the basslines are definitely a lot cleaner in comparison.

I haven't done any "ABX" between the two so will refrain to comment on "absolute" bass quality between the two. One of the reason I like the UF a lot is that besides its, for me, pleasing overall tonal balance and clarity, I have no other earphone that renders toms in such a tight, tactile and well separated manner.

Mar 30, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #369 of 1,184
Let's remember folks; there is no such thing as the perfect iem, headphone or speaker, for ALL GENRES of music. If you only listen to one genre, or a few favourites from that genre, then you might think that a certain/particular transducer is the best. If you are like me, BGGAR, and many others that enjoy many different types of genres and music; one set isn't gonna satisfy you. For those who feel the need to bash BGGAR...he's very upfront about the music he listens to, to evaluate gear. Actually talks about the songs/artists he listens to when reviewing the gear, instead of making blanket statements about a piece of gear, without any reference to the actual songs/music he's playing on THE GEAR. If people can't relate to the music he listens to, then sure, they might want to switch to watching videos from different reviewers whose musical tastes match more to their own preferences. In the end, I think that we all hear things differently because everyone's ears are different. My biggest pet peeve is with reviewers who don't state what artists or songs they are listening to to arrive at their conclusions about the gear they are evaluating. In this audio hobby for over 40 years now, and one thing I know for sure now...there isn't one single piece of gear that does it all perfectly, for everything you listen to.

Mar 30, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #370 of 1,184
I don't like him either (his opinions I mean). Bggar says the Tri i3 is a D tier iem, (that's rubbish), and it's an excellent one. Also says that the Blon is one of the best (well, it's a fun Iem, but that's it) and praised the Form Shozy 1.1 which to me is a Meh Iem (being generous).

Yup, got the 1.1 as well. I burned it in but that mid is too recessed and I couldn't live with it. Luckily I ordered Amazon Prime so I returned it.

Mar 30, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #371 of 1,184
I bought ybf iss014 as well fallowing the hype train, went out for a run, feeding techno to them tzusing, lena wilikens, etc and was amazed by aggressiveness and amount of details they bring (bass tightness and pace/ treble was very prominent in tracks). I did get tired though after 2hrs of straight listening and instinctively took them off on the way home(treble, but it's not piercing in any way I'm just used to different sound signature). Than decided to spin my music collection with Charles Jr by Jorge Ben and that's where things start to fall apart for this IEM. Bassy guitar notes sounds great, but higher ones are a bit unrealistic for me, as well vocal of Jorge himself seems grainy and a bit sharp, though well detailed. Next Passarinho by Gal Costa and vocal reproduction differences are even more obvious here, they miss that mellow sound of amazing Costa's singin comparing to my pm-3, as well that swing when instruments kick in after the intro of the song is gone, so I decided to test Erza - Garten meiner Fantasie, very "airy" track with vocals and drum parts echoing and perfectly layering one on another, it's there, but it doesn't have that amount of air and stretch, especially the drum part, it bumps and it's gone quickly, same story with vocals, though it is more forgiving on this track. From my point of view these sound amazing with electronic music, maybe it will perfectly fit rock/metal, aggressive genres( highs/bass/subbass), but on instrumental songs I can sense that things are out of tune, it doesn't draw me into music or make me feel like artist is really performing in front of me. However for the price you can't really complain, it puts to shame my 2.5x more expensive multidriver fiio and stands strong with tin audio t2, but I doubt that there is a way to find "magic" in such price bucket. Happy I didn't order impatiently kz zs10 I truly these would have been real disappointment for me
I've got the KZ ZS10 PRO and I gotta say that they are my favorite iem atm, along with the TFZ NO.3 for more dance oriented music. I'll wait for my Urbanfun to arrive so I can compare...but so far, the ZS10 PRO is my all round favorite as far as sound signature is concerned.

Mar 30, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #372 of 1,184
I've got the KZ ZS10 PRO and I gotta say that they are my favorite iem atm, along with the TFZ NO.3 for more dance oriented music. I'll wait for my Urbanfun to arrive so I can compare...but so far, the ZS10 PRO is my all round favorite as far as sound signature is concerned.

I gotta say the KZ ZS10 Pro is quite good, good all rounder for most genres, good technicals. Was my very first CHIFI purchase of 2019 and it didn't disappoint me.

It isn't the best for genres that incorporate acoustic instruments due to the famous "steely" artificial timbre for the treble frequencies, and the midbass bleeds a bit and isn't the tightest, but I guess for the price, can't complain much. But I heard it has been superceded by the KZ ZSX (terminator) which has slight refinements in technicals and also a better timbre. So sadly, most folks will probably be getting the KZ ZSX or CCA C12 which are newer releases.

But to get back to topic, for the Urbanfun YBF getting such polarizing reviews, I think the big elephant in the room that isn't addressed is: which batch of Urbanfuns did the reviewers get?
There's rumours the newer batches are not even using beryllium drivers, and no one has ever managed to open the IEMs to check or verify what drivers are inside and graph the two different batches. (I won't be expecting anyone to destroy their IEM in the process for research of course!!).

Mar 30, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #373 of 1,184
There's rumours the newer batches are not even using beryllium drivers, and no one has ever managed to open the IEMs to check or verify what drivers are inside and graph the two different batches. (I won't be expecting anyone to destroy their IEM in the process for research of course!!).

Did you realize the edges of this IEM are soldered and polished? And what you could do if you spot a different coating? Tell people your anecdotal evidence from your whatever batch that you've got? lmao

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #374 of 1,184
Did you realize the edges of this IEM are soldered and polished? And what you could do if you spot a different coating? Tell people your anecdotal evidence from your whatever batch that you've got? lmao

That's exactly my point, it's gonna be difficult to verify especially for dynamic drivers even if u open the shell and damage the IEM in the process, so there'll always be this uncertainty about the different batches across the urbanfun, which may explain why there are such polarizing reviews. Not to mention that in the budget CHIFI segment, QC is not always the most robust, so even among the same batch there may be unit variations in tuning.

Mar 30, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #375 of 1,184
That's exactly my point, it's gonna be difficult to verify especially for dynamic drivers even if u open the shell and damage the IEM in the process, so there'll always be this uncertainty about the different batches across the urbanfun, which may explain why there are such polarizing reviews. Not to mention that in the budget CHIFI segment, QC is not always the most robust, so even among the same batch there may be unit variations in tuning.

Well, I don't think they are polarizing at all. Just different folks with different tastes. Crinacle's review seems like a fast pragmatic review OOTB, no examples of songs, no info about tips or tip-rolling, no bass section analysis, it was just a bit shallow to me but it's just his opinion. The Nympho guy has a huge bias against BGGAR on his facebook group, so I don't take his opinion that seriously.

QC-wise not even big bucks IEMs can escape QC issues (just look at the campfire solaris' FR graphs on crinacle's website, oBravo cupid, or even crin's troubleshoot on his 64 audio N8). I just prefer to not overthink that much to dismiss things but to each their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back