URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 Impressions thread
Jan 4, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #61 of 1,184
Jan 9, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #62 of 1,184
I have received my second pair and this one has no MMCX issues but I think it's still from the initial batch as they look and sound identical. I've measured all 4 earpieces and only one deviates a bit from the others and this the one with MMCX connection issues.

Price has gone up, it was £38 (paid £34 with discounts) when I bought that second pair not during a sale and it's now £45 (no discount available) so it might be that the higher price reflects some kind of upgrade for a new batch.

I was tempted buying yet another pair to check out the difference in sound (if any) between the two batches but as I am very happy with these and just bought the Tin T4 and Kbear Diamond I'll pass for now.

Jan 9, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #63 of 1,184
I have received my second pair and this one has no MMCX issues but I think it's still from the initial batch as they look and sound identical. I've measured all 4 earpieces and only one deviates a bit from the others and this the one with MMCX connection issues.

Price has gone up, it was £38 (paid £34 with discounts) when I bought that second pair not during a sale and it's now £45 (no discount available) so it might be that the higher price reflects some kind of upgrade for a new batch.

I was tempted buying yet another pair to check out the difference in sound (if any) between the two batches but as I am very happy with these and just bought the Tin T4 and Kbear Diamond I'll pass for now.

I bought my pair just before the price increase (still waiting for it) and the seller said the pair I'll have will have the fixed mmcx connector and updated tuning. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt they built a batch with the fixed connector and then immediately built another batch with the new tuning. Most likely the changes to the tuning are very subtle as people were already raving about the sound quality anyway. I'm just speculating though. :)

Jan 9, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #64 of 1,184
I bought my pair just before the price increase (still waiting for it) and the seller said the pair I'll have will have the fixed mmcx connector and updated tuning. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt they built a batch with the fixed connector and then immediately built another batch with the new tuning. Most likely the changes to the tuning are very subtle as people were already raving about the sound quality anyway. I'm just speculating though. :)

As the MMCX connectors look the same to me I am speculating I got one of the last good ones from the first batch. :)

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #66 of 1,184
I owned a pair of the first batch ISS014, I just love it and recommend it to my net pals. Recently, my net pal told me that the sole seller in TaoBao ( China ), revealing the factory no longer using Beryllium to make the new batch of ISS014. They will use different metallic-coating diaphragm instead.

I am quite surprised for such changes, and how honesty they are :joy: I still haven't get a chance to try the new batch, but this seller mentioned to my net pal the new batch will be less spicy in high. This TaoBao seller already remove the "Beryllium Diaphragm" description in Chinese. I am not sure if the factory will keep the original Beryllium version for the export market ( e.g. AliExpress ). I suggested you should ask the seller before placing the order.

I love the original ISS014 so much, I really don't want to see the later buyers receiving a unpredictable version of ISS014 with different tuning :wink:

Screenshot-20191227-153152293-1.jpg

SO....the review about those on headfi say they are dark. with treble roll off....i guess it isnt very first batch then. still say its beryllium driver on official ALI store.

Im very confuse about those...i like treble sparkle and in review everything it say is bombastic, sub sub sub sub bass youpih....creamy soft kinda mids...and dark tonality...im kinda less wet dreaming now. anyway, will know quite fast if treble is gone on my pair and share it here!

Jan 9, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #67 of 1,184
SO....the review about those on headfi say they are dark. with treble roll off....i guess it isnt very first batch then. still say its beryllium driver on official ALI store.

Im very confuse about those...i like treble sparkle and in review everything it say is bombastic, sub sub sub sub bass youpih....creamy soft kinda mids...and dark tonality...im kinda less wet dreaming now. anyway, will know quite fast if treble is gone on my pair and share it here!

As I heard from the one who got both the first and the new batch, their tonalities are 90% alike !

Jan 10, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #68 of 1,184
crap. Got to this party late. So the UF arrived this morning and I've been listening non stop. Changed the tip immediately (after a big struggle to get any tip on rather than the one on it) to Spiral Dot L. Impressed at the moment but need to let them settle in for a few days. The pianos of Erik Satie's Gnossiennes ring beautifully.

Jan 10, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #70 of 1,184

they are dark in the upper mids, treble is fine

Jan 12, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #71 of 1,184
So had these a couple of days now and needed a comparison. Compared with the Blon 03 with lots of tracks, trying to get familiarity and mindfulness and a state of 'noticing'. The Blon 03 with the ISN Audio C16, Spiral Dot L. The Urbabfun ISSO14 with stock pink cable and Spiral Dot L. I will be nervous to take the MMCX out as it is a little fragile. Source is a FiiO M6, because I damaged my M9.

Tracks include
Cocteau (binaural)
Whisky in the jar...Thin Lizzie
Fate of the Lhapa......William Susman
All I need....Radiohead
Landslide....Fleetwood Mac
Gnossienne No5,.... Gary Shmidt version or Zaida Saiace version
Black Magic Woman.....Santana (Single version)

Both sound excellent, but different. Timbre and tone of pianos, triangles, guitars have a more natural ring on the Urban Fun. Drums, lower mids are way more rhythmical on the Blon 03 which has a more organic sound and moreover positionally correct sound of instruments in bands. Listening to Landslide with bassline without drums the rhythm of the Blon shows it's magic, perfect rhythm. For Gnossiene No 5 the delightful timbre and tone of the Urbanfun is highlighted but rhythmically the Blon 03 more realistic. I do understand why so many love the Blon 03, in particular drum lines are much better placed and rhythmic, but the timbre and tone of highs and treble on the Urbanfun are as good as I've heard. I will definitely use both. Black Magic Woman Santana (Single version) will show the differences in rhythm and instrument positions on the stage. All music streamed from Amazon HD.

Sorry as a PS...texturing is very special on the Urbanfun highs. Jazz separation is excellent as I listen to Tears Inside, Ornette Coleman. Listen to that if you can.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #72 of 1,184
Urbanfun contacted me after I mentioned my YBF-ISS014 crooked/defective mmcx problems, and offered to send me one of the new ones with the corrected mmcx sockets.

I’ll report back once I receive the new version, and let you know how it compares to the original one.

On a related Urbanfun note, a few weeks ago I stumbled upon the original green metal Urbanfun hybrid on Amazon for $9. I scooped it up. This is the beryllium dynamic/BA hybrid. The sound is excellent. The fixed cable, however, is thin and crappy.

I got the metal shell apart after a ridiculous amount of work, and will be converting it to mmcx in the coming weeks as time allows. It should be epic once the fixed cable is gone :)

Jan 12, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #74 of 1,184
Mine is almost here

Hope you like it. I recently got the LZ A6 mini too and liked the highlighted treble even though it was a tad fatiguing because of over boosting by the piezoelectric driver. Here the treble is genuinely very special with very realistic timbre and tone, and non fatgueing. I'm a bit surprised there is not more on other threads about these. One of the more interesting IEMs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back