UpTone Audio USB REGEN
Mar 8, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #856 of 1,138
So what does the iPurifier2 indeed do that the Regen doesn't and vice versa, exactly?

Well I have not listened to or dissected the iPurifier2, but one difference versus the REGEN is that it is entirely bus-powered, so it can not output a new VBUS voltage (even with a regulator, 5V in would have to drop down to some lower voltage--that's how regulators work).  Whereas the REGEN has two ultra-low noise TI TPS7A4700 regulators--one at 3.3V for its hub chip, and one at 5V to deliver up to 1A clean 5VBUS out (not that any normal USB2.0 is allowed to draw more than 500mA--but some do).

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #858 of 1,138
I decided, with all the talk about the power running in a USB cable affecting the sound, to make one using only two wires for data. It uses #22 shielded SPC wire,
and connects my laptop to the Regen. I still need to cover the plugs with heatshrink, but it sounds great.

Nice work funch! :)

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #859 of 1,138
That's funny Mike, and possibly true since their comparison page still shows their "DC iPurifier" as having a USB 2.0 hub chip--but that device for the DC power cable does not do USB at all! (Of course they mean their iPurifier 2, but they crank all this stuff out so fast that such errors have been common for their marketing.)
Yet my hat is off to their marketing and graphics department as they are able to spin a LOT  of "advanced-tech" benefits out of the basic functioning of a decently clocked USB hub chip.
I think these two are my favorites:

All of those "wonderful" things are done by the REGEN as well--just a byproduct of hub chip, low-jitter clock, careful power network and board design, and ultra-low-noise voltage regulators.  No "military radar technology" required. :)   
As for the use of USB3.0 hub chips, those noisy things are the last thing we would want active when handling USB2.0 audio speeds.  Anyone here have a need for 5Gbps transmission of audio? The 480Mbps of USB2.0 is still vastly faster than even the highest bit rate DSD or PCM audio data.

Sorry to be catty.  This is not my usual style at all.  But this is the USB REGEN thread so I figure I can at least highlight similarities and differences between products.  I certainly can't out-marketeer anyone.  I'd rather just be honest about how our popular device works--pure and simple...

Hi superdad, may i know if there is an upcoming version of your product with galvanic isolation in the making?

I know you have an USB high speed isolator from coolgear, any comments? I did email thier tech support and got an reply "Most of our isolators use optical isolation, but this specific product uses another method
called "Capacitive Isolation", but it is classified as galvanic isolation because there is
no electrical path directly from one side to the other.

Here are some details on the chip we use to accomplish it:
http://www.silanna.com/usb.html

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #860 of 1,138
Relaying the question embedded within the post, above:

Quoting slex:

Hi superdad, may i know if there is an upcoming version with high speed galvanic isolation with your superior USB signal application?

I know you have in hand a coolgear High Speed galvanic isolator utilizing the new silanna chip . Any comments of this new product? I have email thier tech support and got an reply:

"Most of our isolators use optical isolation, but this specific product uses another method
called "Capacitive Isolation", but it is classified as galvanic isolation because there is
no electrical path directly from one side to the other.

Here are some details on the chip we use to accomplish it:
http://www.silanna.com/usb.html

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #861 of 1,138
  I decided, with all the talk about the power running in a USB cable affecting the sound, to make one using only two wires for data. It uses #22 shielded SPC wire,
and connects my laptop to the Regen. I still need to cover the plugs with heatshrink, but it sounds great.

That's a beautiful cable!  Apparently, your DAC doesn't require the GND wire for a handshake - but some DACs might not work without the GND.

Here are some John Swenson posts (from CA) on the subject of DIY USB cables:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/uptone-audio-regen-22803/index41.html#post427754

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/diy-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-cable-possibilities-23688/#post405461

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/diy-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-cable-possibilities-23688/#post406016

Mike

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #862 of 1,138
 Apparently, your DAC doesn't require the GND wire for a handshake - but some DACs might not work without the GND

Not entirely. If funch have the shield connected at both ends this will actually work as a ground connection and it most likely the reson why it works...even though I would recommend to have unshielded data wires and a separate ground wire on a distance. If the shield is just connected at one end he is most likely having a ground loop.
rolleyes.gif

With that said it is actually possible to have unshielded data wires between the source and the DAC but that will require a proper star ground. Here is a CA thread in that subject. Look at Karin´s (SBooster) reply to R_W. http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/vbus-isolator-sbooster-26228/index2.html

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #863 of 1,138
Hi superdad, may i know if there is an upcoming version of your product with galvanic isolation in the making?

You guys make it very hard to keep cats in a bag!  
rolleyes.gif

Please read this post:  http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/which-one-buy-uptone-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-regen-or-intona-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-isolator-26815/index14.html#post520085

I am not going to answer more questions about it, but will say that galvanic isolation is but one of a bunch of great sounding enhancements.  But price (due to significant added parts cost) will be $100 higher.

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #864 of 1,138
rolleyes.gif

Please read this post:  http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/which-one-buy-uptone-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-regen-or-intona-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-isolator-26815/index14.html#post520085

I am not going to answer more questions about it, but will say that galvanic isolation is but one of a bunch of great sounding enhancements.  But price (due to significant added parts cost) will be $100 higher.

Oh gawd. Fine! Put me down for Unit #1! ?  !? 
beerchug.gif

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #865 of 1,138

rolleyes.gif

I 'll take #2

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #866 of 1,138

That's a beautiful cable!  Apparently, your DAC doesn't require the GND wire for a handshake - but some DACs might not work without the GND.

Mike

Thanks.

I forgot to mention that the cable connects my laptop to a M2Tech HiFace Evo USB to S/PDIF converter. It then connects to my Yggy through
an AES/EBU cable. DIY of course. 
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #867 of 1,138
You guys make it very hard to keep cats in a bag!  :rolleyes:

That will be still cheaper then your Regen+Intona:grin:. Any included linear power supply?

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #868 of 1,138
I got my USB Regen last week. I was excited by how good it sounded. I went to post on Audiogon expecting a big active thread, and to my surprise there was a thread that was long dead and barley any posts. I made my post thinking it would get revived. But....nothing. Trying to share something that can really help and really is a massive deal. No one seems to care. I swear I don't know what's up with that group sometimes. 

Anyway I'll just copy here what I posted:

I got this last week. I somehow came across it in a google search. Started reading all about the UpTone Regen. Was very Skeptical. Thought maybe it was just for cheap systems. I mean how can something so cheap improve far more expensive gear? But read a ridiculous amount of positive feedback on it. From people with gear ranging from cheap to absolutely amazing. And pretty much unanimously every single person loved it. 

Still Skeptical but willing to open my mind and try it. I lucked out and got in right when he was sending more out. So got it in a couple days. 

WOW, this thing is fantastic what it does to the sound! Every aspect of the sound improved. 

You know how really late, late at night when you listen to your stereo and the ambient noise outside is really low, the electricity coming off the grid and in your house is absolutely perfect, and all the stars align just right, and your system sounds perfect and glorious and you’re so happy with it you don’t want to go to bed? Well this sounds just like that, ALL THE TIME. 

I really am impressed and so delightfully surprised. The best $175 I ever spent. I’m also really surprised that this thing hasn’t gotten more attention here. It certainly deserves it. This isn’t some weird tweak. It really does open up the music more and give it so much more soul and realism and balance, so much more natural and real. 

I feel it’s essential for any system running USB. You really need to try it. The guy will refund you if you didn’t like it. Really no reason not to try it. 

I’d like to try hooking up an even better power supply now and see if that improves things even more.

On that note without having to read 60 pages here what is the consensus on upgrading the power supply for it? Does it help and what one to use? (I'm not paying $900 for that one on the regen site).

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #869 of 1,138
I got my USB Regen last week. I was excited by how good it sounded. I went to post on Audiogon expecting a big active thread, and to my surprise there was a thread that was long dead and barley any posts. I made my post thinking it would get revived. But....nothing. Trying to share something that can really help and really is a massive deal. No one seems to care. I swear I don't know what's up with that group sometimes. 

Anyway I'll just copy here what I posted:

On that note without having to read 60 pages here what is the consensus on upgrading the power supply for it? Does it help and what one to use? (I'm not paying $900 for that one on the regen site).
Highly recommend the iFi iPower; it outperforms my Teradak X1/X2 LPS by a long shot, and it's only $50 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back