UpTone Audio USB REGEN
Jul 12, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #1,126 of 1,138
. But unfortunately the USPCB isn't directly compatible with the unusual female USB type-A input on my iFi micro iDSD.

True, but iFi did supply a hard adapter with their iDSD, enabling any normal USB cable to be connected. A while back when I compared, I much preferred the iFI adapter + posh audiophile USB cable to their stock blue USB cable. So I'd expect the iFi Adapter + USPCB to also show a significant improvement over the stock blue cable. Worth a try.

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #1,127 of 1,138
I'm a Regen owner who can't afford the ISO right now.

2. Can't buy the new solid connector...I know upgrading the cable between the Regen and my DAC really improved the sound, so imagine this connector would my chain's SQ for a reasonable $30.

The USPCB adapter still isn't available to order from the UpTone website, but you can now get it by following Alex's instructions in this post from CA: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...-up-photos-etc/?do=findComment&comment=691400

Jan 15, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #1,128 of 1,138
Bump.

Anyone have any experience with both the original REGEN vs ISO REGEN? Both sound like promising investments and well worth it. Exciting to be honest.

My Khadas Tone Board is coming in soon and I'm wondering if connecting a REGEN in between my PC and it would be something grand.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #1,129 of 1,138
Bump.

Anyone have any experience with both the original REGEN vs ISO REGEN? Both sound like promising investments and well worth it. Exciting to be honest.

My Khadas Tone Board is coming in soon and I'm wondering if connecting a REGEN in between my PC and it would be something grand.

I had the original Regen, and have since upgraded to the ISO Regen. I currently use the LPS 1.2 power supply with the ISO Regen. In my opinion, the ISO Regen / LPS 1.2 combo was noticeably better than the ISO Regen / included power supply, which was better than the original Regen / included power supply. This was in my system.

Depending on how noisy your PC is, and the rest of your system, they likely would improve things. Just the cleaner USB power provided by the Regens would likely make a noticeable difference. "Grand?" Only you could decide that one.

The Khadas Tone Board is what, $100? I have no doubt the ISO Regen / LPS 1.2 bundle would make quite noticeable improvement, but at 7 times the cost of the Tone Board? I would have a similar cost concern regarding just the ISO Regen in your system. Some folks would think it a bit silly to spend multiples of your DAC cost on a USB cleaning device. Others wouldn't bat an eye at spending that much.

If you wanted to try one of Uptone's products, and ended up not liking it, you would only be out shipping costs, as I believe they have a pretty liberal return policy. You might want to confirm Uptone's return policy if you are thinking about buying, and you think you might want the option to return your purchase.

Jan 18, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #1,130 of 1,138
Bump.

I would first wait and listen to the Khadas. Some quick Googling tells me it was designed specifically for audiophiles, with low jitter and other benefits, and that you'd need a USB C adapter because the UpTone connector board is designed for larger systems. After you have listened for awhile, you may want to borrow or purchase more inexpensive options before procuring something that costs so much more than the Khadas itself.

Many of us are struggling with general systems that deliver jitter and noise via USB, and in my case my laptop boards were installed in a way that injected up all sorts of unpleasantness into the audio circuit. At minimum I needed an external DAC for my desktop system, then got a small further improvement by adding a USB REGEN to that desktop system.

When I later set up a fanless mini PC in my media room as part of a much more expensive configuration, I as a matter of course added an ISO REGEN where it is an expected relatively inexpensive addition. But because it is on a different power supply and in a completely different system, I can't offer a useful comparison between the two generations of UpTone products.

Jul 31, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #1,131 of 1,138
guys I had an ESD blowout.. Need your help :frowning2:

Going to attempt fixing this..

If anyone has a multimeter, can you check for the values of R6 and R8? R2 seems intact.. And any idea what C10 should be?
The obviously blown out part is a USB chip whose replacement I found.. USB SMSC2412 is the part.

67467884_10219993601853068_5412902379265720320_o.jpg

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #1,132 of 1,138
@Superdad can you help?

guys I had an ESD blowout.. Need your help :frowning2:

Going to attempt fixing this..

If anyone has a multimeter, can you check for the values of R6 and R8? R2 seems intact.. And any idea what C10 should be?
The obviously blown out part is a USB chip whose replacement I found.. USB SMSC2412 is the part.

67467884_10219993601853068_5412902379265720320_o.jpg

May 28, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #1,134 of 1,138
I could buy a used regen (not the ISO one but the old regular USB) for 90€. Is it still good or outdated?
The standard regen is a bit outdated - and used ones were selling for not much more than that not too long after the ISO regen came out. The ISO regen was noticeably better than the standard regen.

If it is used with the standard power supply that came with it, it's effect is fairly subtle. Better power improved it somewhat. If you just have the itch to try it, and you can get it for a good price, you might see a benefit with it - but don't expect miracles.

BTW - I gave one of mine away not too long ago.

May 28, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #1,135 of 1,138
The standard regen is a bit outdated - and used ones were selling for not much more than that not too long after the ISO regen came out. The ISO regen was noticeably better than the standard regen.

If it is used with the standard power supply that came with it, it's effect is fairly subtle. Better power improved it somewhat. If you just have the itch to try it, and you can get it for a good price, you might see a benefit with it - but don't expect miracles.

BTW - I gave one of mine away not too long ago.
Thank you for the detailed answer.
May I push for a last question? Using a Schiit Eitr or a Topping D10 (connected to my Xduoo XA10). Would it improve the sound? Which would be best? I saw an Eitr for 120€ and D10s are cheap.

May 28, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #1,136 of 1,138
Thank you for the detailed answer.
May I push for a last question? Using a Schiit Eitr or a Topping D10 (connected to my Xduoo XA10). Would it improve the sound? Which would be best? I saw an Eitr for 120€ and D10s are cheap.
I don't have experience with either one of those. The Eitr had positive praise - this from listeners whose opinions I respected. It looks like the D10 measures similarly to the Eitr - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nts-of-schiit-eitr-usb-to-s-pdif-bridge.3753/

The Eitr doesn't seem unreasonable at that price. And as you say, the D10s are cheap.

If you have something you are trying to "fix", these products won't do that. But if you ok spending for them, you might see some improvements - reduced noise, darker background. I found voices to be more natural when they were added to mine. FYI - I have ISO Regens in all my systems.

Jun 10, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #1,137 of 1,138
I could buy a used regen (not the ISO one but the old regular USB) for 90€. Is it still good or outdated?
I have an ISO Regen that I could sell for not much more than that. Also an ultracap LPs-1 power supply and a MicroRendu 1.4.
I no longer use USB and have a completely different system, so they've been sitting in my spares box for a while, but I haven't got round to putting them up for sale.

PM me if interested.

I never tried the original regen, but all the reviews at time were saying that the ISO was a significant improvement. It certainly worked well in my previous laptop W10 and NUC based systems - and improved even top quality USB cables.

Jun 10, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #1,138 of 1,138
I'm expecting to receive a Fiio K9 amp DA today. I don't think it can be further improved (or if I could hear the difference) and budget is getting tight so...
But I'll definately keep it in mind for the ISO regen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back