UpTone Audio USB REGEN
Mar 4, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #826 of 1,138
I'd be quite interested in the answer to this question myself.

But how do you "know" that no other cleaning devices should be added to the chain?

The question you meant to ask is: "But how do you 'know' that no other cleaning devices should be inserted between the USB Regen and the DAC?"  

This is the imperative everyone is referencing and it comes directly from Uptone Audio. Alex Crespi and John Swenson have emphasized this in many posts, both in the USB Regen threads on Computeraudiophile and here in this thread.  

It has also been stressed by Uptone Audio that the connection between the USB Regen and DAC should be kept as short as possible.  

Lastly, Uptone Audio has stressed the need to use cables that maintain a 90-Ohm impedance.  As a manufacturer, Supra USB cables seem to be obsessed with this specification, as you cannot get them to cut you cable of just any length you desire until they've had time to tweak a prototype to achieve the 90-Ohm spec. The spec is assured for their ready-made cables.

I wouldn't know how to measure a cables intrinsic impedance, so I think most of us just have to hope for the best regarding the 90-Ohm requirement.

I've wandered into a discussion of cables, but I feel there's a need for what will hopefully be seen as concise summary of the options:

The USB Regen ships with a short "solid" adapter, but several people have found that some cables that are nearly as short sound better, and that using a 3-wire cable that lacks the +5V wire (when using DACs that don't require power from the USB cable) improves the sound as well - as does blocking the +5V pin of a 4-wire cable, at the source.  There's a lot of testimony out there encouraging both solutions - again, for DACs that do not pull power from the USB cable, but also for supplying data to the USB Regen itself, which does not pull any power from the USB cable.  Many people have found that blocking the +5V ping of the Regen's USB input cable, or going to a 3-wire cable to feed the USB Regen, improves the sound for all DACs - even though the USB Regen blocks power coming in from the USB cable - due to capacitive coupling of the +5V wire with the data wires, when not blocked or removed completely.

The Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite 160 allows you to disconnect the +5V wire at will - for DACs that never require power from the USB source and even after first allowing a DAC that only needs to see power during a handshake with the source to do so.  There are other short, three-wire cables to be found, if you don't need a cable that can be converted at will, but reducing the proximity of the GND wire to the two data wires has also gained a lot of popularity - as with the Curious USB Cable - but the Curious Cable does not distance the +5V wire from the data wires - it only does so with the GND wire.  The Curious USB Cable does not block +5V, but it does distance the +5V wire from the data and GND wires - to reduce noise.

So... we have a lot of people out there who have reported improvements by blocking the +5V pin at the source, as when using the SBooster VBus Isolater or by using 3-wire or a "Konvertible" cable to remove the +5V wire altogether when the DAC does not require power from source (and when supplying data to the USB Regen on the input side).

And... we have a lot of Curious Cable fans who have reported improvements had by distancing the GND +5V wire from the data wires.

To my knowledge, only the Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite 160 offers both the following three features - distancing the GND wire and your choice of distancing or removing the 5V wire.  The 160 is ideal for running between the USB Regen and the DAC, where the longer lengths are ideal for supplying data to the USB Regen - instead of buying a long Curious Cable (to distance the GND +5V wire) or in combination with a VBus Isolator (to block the +5V at the source.)

I've not yet purchased an Elijah Audio Konveritble Lite (for spending my audio budget on other projects at the moment), but to me, it makes a lot of sense as a design that delivers all the features that have been heralded piece meal in other cables. I also have a lot of confidence in Cornan's impressions - having followed his advice several times with other products and/or techniques and never being disappointed. 

As to other USB "middleware" devices - by all means, buy them and try them yourself, keeping them on the input side of the USB Regen, between your source and the USB Regen.  There are so many variables that I think it silly to try to make a decision about whether these products will help your system, just from reading other people's impressions.  

The USB Regen, however, seems to transcend this necessity, given that they've sold something like 2000 of them (or fast approaching that number?) and yet I've only read a handful of testimonies where someone said "it didn't do anything" for their system.  That's an extremely strong consensus, compared to most audio products.

Mike 

The question you meant to ask is: "But how do you 'know' that no other cleaning devices should be inserted between the USB Regen and the DAC?"  

This is the imperative everyone is referencing and it comes directly from Uptone Audio. Alex Crespi and John Swenson have emphasized this in many posts, both in the USB Regen threads on Computeraudiophile and here in this thread.  

It has also been stressed by Uptone Audio that the connection between the USB Regen and DAC should be kept as short as possible.  

Lastly, Uptone Audio has stressed the need to use cables that maintain a 90-Ohm impedance.  As a manufacturer, Supra USB cables seem to be obsessed with this specification, as you cannot get them to cut you cable of just any length you desire until they've had time to tweak a prototype to achieve the 90-Ohm spec. The spec is assured for their ready-made cables.

I wouldn't know how to measure a cables intrinsic impedance, so I think most of us just have to hope for the best regarding the 90-Ohm requirement.

I've wandered into a discussion of cables, but I feel there's a need for what will hopefully be seen as concise summary of the options:

The USB Regen ships with a short "solid" adapter, but several people have found that some cables that are nearly as short sound better, and that using a 3-wire cable that lacks the +5V wire (when using DACs that don't require power from the USB cable) improves the sound as well - as does blocking the +5V pin of a 4-wire cable, at the source.  There's a lot of testimony out there encouraging both solutions - again, for DACs that do not pull power from the USB cable, but also for supplying data to the USB Regen itself, which does not pull any power from the USB cable.  Many people have found that blocking the +5V ping of the Regen's USB input cable, or going to a 3-wire cable to feed the USB Regen, improves the sound for all DACs - even though the USB Regen blocks power coming in from the USB cable - due to capacitive coupling of the +5V wire with the data wires, when not blocked or removed completely.

The Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite 160 allows you to disconnect the +5V wire at will - for DACs that never require power from the USB source and even after first allowing a DAC that only needs to see power during a handshake with the source to do so.  There are other short, three-wire cables to be found, if you don't need a cable that can be converted at will, the Curious USB Cable does not block +5V, but it does distance the +5V wire from the data and GND wires - to reduce noise.

So... we have a lot of people out there who have reported improvements by blocking the +5V pin at the source, as when using the SBooster VBus Isolater or by using 3-wire or a "Konvertible" cable to remove the +5V wire altogether when the DAC does not require power from source (and when supplying data to the USB Regen on the input side).

And... we have a lot of Curious Cable fans who have reported improvements had by distancing the +5V wire from the data wires.

To my knowledge, only the Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite 160 offers the following three features - distancing the GND wire and your choice of distancing or removing the 5V wire.  The 160 is ideal for running between the USB Regen and the DAC, where the longer lengths are ideal for supplying data to the USB Regen - instead of buying a long Curious Cable (to distance the +5V wire) or in combination with a VBus Isolator (to block the +5V at the source.)

I've not yet purchased an Elijah Audio Konveritble Lite (for spending my audio budget on other projects at the moment), but to me, it makes a lot of sense as a design that delivers all the features that have been heralded piece meal in other cables. I also have a lot of confidence in Cornan's impressions - having followed his advice several times with other products and/or techniques and never being disappointed. 

As to other USB "middleware" devices - by all means, buy them and try them yourself, keeping them on the input side of the USB Regen, between your source and the USB Regen.  There are so many variables that I think it silly to try to make a decision about whether these products will help your system, just from reading other people's impressions.  

The USB Regen, however, seems to transcend this necessity, given that they've sold something like 2000 of them (or fast approaching that number?) and yet I've only read a handful of testimonies where someone said "it didn't do anything" for their system.  That's an extremely strong consensus, compared to most audio products.

Mike 

5 March 2016 - Edits applied to correct my having thought the Curious Cable distances the GND wire from the data and +5V wires, when it actually distances the +5V wire from data and GND wires.

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #827 of 1,138

Mike 

Do you know the sale totals for those USB wires you mentioned?
Thanks, 

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #828 of 1,138

Mike 

Do you know the sale totals for those USB wires you mentioned?
Thanks, 

Not many manufacturers out that are as official and clear as Uptone Audio when it comes to total sales :

http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen
  The UpTone Audio USB REGEN™ just might be the next big leap for computer audio.

[The reviews from many of the over 2,500 people worldwide now using a REGEN are filled with excitement over how musically effective the device is.  Drop in on some thoughtful ones here at ComputerAudiophile.com: USB REGEN Listening Impressions.]

rolleyes.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #829 of 1,138
  Not many manufacturers out that are as official and clear as Uptone Audio when it comes to total sales :

rolleyes.gif

Very true.  Alex at UpTone has answered all of my questions about his Regen as well as JS2 power supply since the Stereophile Magazine report.

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #830 of 1,138
as with the Curious USB Cable - but the Curious Cable does not distance the +5V wire from the data wires - it only does so with the GND wire.

The Curious cable is actually the reverse of the above statement - the 5V wire is distanced from the Data wires ( as a thin coaxial wire wrapped around the outer techflex shield) - It's the Gnd wire that is bundled with the Data wires inside the shield

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #831 of 1,138
as with the Curious USB Cable - but the Curious Cable does not distance the +5V wire from the data wires - it only does so with the GND wire.

The Curious cable is actually the reverse of the above statement - the 5V wire is distanced from the Data wires ( as a thin coaxial wire wrapped around the outer techflex shield) - It's the Gnd wire that is bundled with the Data wires inside the shield

Yes, the 5v lead is actually a coaxial contruction that is slightly twisted around the GND & data wires. I very much prefer your version with GND & 5v totally separated from the unshielded data wires Michael. I love the sound of your amazing cables! There is simply no turning back when you have listen to them! :)

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #832 of 1,138

:rolleyes:

Very true.  Alex at UpTone has answered all of my questions about his Regen as well as JS2 power supply since the Stereophile Magazine report.

Reading your profile I am really impressed by your wide range of well selected hardware. You are have an awesome setup...but still I would suggest that you give Elijah Audio's Konvertible Lite a chance. You will have a 60 days satisfaction guarantee so it is pretty safe to try. Michaels cables demands a great audio chain to shine...and just by looking at your profile I am sure you have reached the goal! :wink:

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #833 of 1,138
Reading your profile I am really impressed by your wide range of well selected hardware. You are have an awesome setup...but still I would suggest that you give Elijah Audio's Konvertible Lite a chance. You will have a 60 days satisfaction guarantee so it is pretty safe to try. Michaels cables demands a great audio chain to shine...and just by looking at your profile I am sure you have reached the goal!
wink.gif

Thank you sir.  I would add Elijah's wires probably after trying my order of half a dozen Curious cables of varying lengths.  Over the last three months, I have been making small changes, like cables, platforms, HIDEF downloads (up to 352K), battery vs AC, etc.  One add was the jitterbug.  Bought 3 and used all over the place.  Then added the Regen and it was noticeably better instantly.  Combo with jitterbug was a tiny bit better still.  Nagra is very sensitive to tiny changes.
Anyway, after the Regen read more and landed on Curious.  So there is where I am at the moment.

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #834 of 1,138
Reading your profile I am really impressed by your wide range of well selected hardware. You are have an awesome setup...but still I would suggest that you give Elijah Audio's Konvertible Lite a chance. You will have a 60 days satisfaction guarantee so it is pretty safe to try. Michaels cables demands a great audio chain to shine...and just by looking at your profile I am sure you have reached the goal! :wink:

Thank you sir.  I would add Elijah's wires probably after trying my order of half a dozen Curious cables of varying lengths.  Over the last three months, I have been making small changes, like cables, platforms, HIDEF downloads (up to 352K), battery vs AC, etc.  One add was the jitterbug.  Bought 3 and used all over the place.  Then added the Regen and it was noticeably better instantly.  Combo with jitterbug was a tiny bit better still.  Nagra is very sensitive to tiny changes.
Anyway, after the Regen read more and landed on Curious.  So there is where I am at the moment.

I fully understand and honour your journey. Just by curiousity. Did you choose battery or AC? I would personally choose battery any day! :)

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #835 of 1,138
I fully understand and honour your journey. Just by curiousity. Did you choose battery or AC? I would personally choose battery any day!
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried AC, then a variety of battery (computer, car, military surplus, etc), AC again on the Regen.  Have at this moment the JS2 linear power supply on order for Regen and Mac Mini.  May even try the linear supply on other DAP while I am at it.
So far, the Regen has been a Godsend.  I can, in the office listen to my PS1000e through the Hugo, connected to Regen, USBed to Macbook Pro while working with Excel, FinalCut and watching 4K movies on a connected HDMI monitor. The Hugo could not handle this previously.

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #836 of 1,138
I fully understand and honour your journey. Just by curiousity. Did you choose battery or AC? I would personally choose battery any day! :)

I tried AC, then a variety of battery (computer, car, military surplus, etc), AC again on the Regen.  Have at this moment the JS2 linear power supply on order for Regen and Mac Mini.  May even try the linear supply on other DAP while I am at it.
So far, the Regen has been a Godsend.  I can, in the office listen to my PS1000e through the Hugo, connected to Regen, USBed to Macbook Pro while working with Excel, FinalCut and watching 4K movies on a connected HDMI monitor. The Hugo could not handle this previously.

Remember, at the same time as you are trying to acheive a multimedia setup you are locking out the true potensial of your audio setup. All gains in a multimedia setup is a lost in 2ch Audio IMHO. Do not combine everything. Treat it separate for best results. The one and only way to combine these are through Upnp/DNLA streaming. Make sure to use it! IF you have'nt heard about the Sonore microRendu be sure to check it out! http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-microrendu-ethernet-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-output-27389/

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #837 of 1,138
Remember, at the same time as you are trying to acheive a multimedia setup you are locking out the true potensial of your audio setup. All gains in a multimedia setup is a lost in 2ch Audio IMHO. Do not combine everything. Treat it separate for best results. The one and only way to combine these are through Upnp/DNLA streaming. Make sure to use it! IF you have'nt heard about the Sonore microRendu be sure to check it out! http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-microrendu-ethernet-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-output-27389/

Have you used one?

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #838 of 1,138
Hi again Bernie and any other interested parties - just received this initial report from a second local tester
Although  this tester slightly favours the Curious cable, I am happy to post all findings, regardless of whether they are  good, bad or indifferent..... because

I am still listening to the cable to try and gauge it's "sound" but it does sound good.
I use an Auralic Vega DAC with a Regen between it and the PC I employ to render files.
The Vega does not need the 5vDC connection to be recognised so I have been using it without the power cable connected.

My initial finding when I compare your cable to the Curious Cable is subtle differences that unfortunately favour the Curios Cable (CC).
The two most obvious are sound stage and micro detail. With the CC the sound stage is bigger and a bit more spacious. Separation between voices/instruments is more distinct and so in tracks with lots going on it's easier to follow a background voice/instrument part and the space it occupies with the CC.
This is related to the differences in micro detail in my view.  The CC allows you to hear micro details that add to the spaciousness of a track. In particular faint reverb cues that provide a sense of recording space are easier to hear with the CC and I believe it is this factor that adds to the sense of spaciousness. Similarly these micro details seem to project a more palpable image in particular with female vocals.
Perhaps my Maggie 1.7's show this aspect up more than other speakers given their noted capability for creating a 3D soundscape.

In other areas the two cables are very similar.  Differences in tonality, dynamics and musicality are difficult to detect and so I believe both cables do a great job.  Both cables present a very smooth rendition devoid of any harsh edges to higher frequencies. (I am particularly sensitive to edginess in the 1K to 3K band which I do not hear when listening to vinyl).  In this regard both cables are better than a lot of expensive cables out in the market. 

I would like to keep listening to your cable for a couple of more weeks to ensure I have not underestimated it's capabilities however I can send it back to you if you prefer.
Thank you for the opportunity to test out your cable which I think should do well especially for those that need the 5vDC disconnection capability to ensure a successful handshake between units

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #839 of 1,138
I've found the JKenny mod (solder 3.3V Lipo 4 battery to Regen board, with 3.3V AC/DC converter to the battery) bypassing the 3.3V regulator to be the best sound I've ever achieved with the Regen.  The second big improvement was adding the Intona for galvanic isolation.  Thus making the follow up JKenny mod a necessity for maintaining ground isolation.  I found USB adapters the preferable choice for connection whenever possible along with a Supra USB Cable when necessary.
Note: I do not need 5V handshake or power for my Chord Hugo.

JKenny mod

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #840 of 1,138

Have you used one?

No, the microRendu is still not released...but keep your eyes opened and read about the device. If John Swenson, Alex C and Jesus are right this could be a game changer. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back