UpTone Audio USB REGEN
Aug 31, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #361 of 1,138
Did you try Regen with ifi iPurifier if it makes any difference?

I've used the Regen alone with my Pulse Infinity and it has helped.

Cheers

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #363 of 1,138
Looking forward to your feedback 
gs1000.gif

Sep 2, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #364 of 1,138
  I now have finished with my plan to maximize the Regen/micro idsd pairing.

I have added the SBooster Ultra to the 9 volt output of the HD Plex Linear that is powering the Regen. This has lowered the noise floor and increased clarity, imaging and depth. A very good product that I can recommend.

I have replaced the stock Usb A to B adapter with a custom one I had made by Matthew at Forza Audio Works. This gives me confidence in having a seamless connection between the Regen and the micro. I believe I detect even more clarity with this adapter vs supplied stock adapter.

An amazing usb transport has been built with the Regen delivering the goods. I am excited to think what this will sound like feeding the forthcoming idsd pro.

I have also the SBooster Ultra. It is well worth the investment. I combine it with a chinese Ebay 9V LPS.

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #366 of 1,138
what are some good eBay LPS would you recommend?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/141503525422?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #367 of 1,138
what are some good eBay LPS would you recommend?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/141503525422?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Please note that my USB Regen gets pretty hot when operated at 9V - which is the highest voltage UpTone Audio recommends when the USB Regen is supplying 5V power to a USB-powered DAC.  

If your DAC is not USB-powered, such that the USB Regen is only powering itself, the maximum supply voltage is 12V.

So...  If you intend to use the USB Regen with a USB-powered DAC or DAC/amp, I strongly recommend getting an LPS that can operate closer to 6.5V, instead of 9V.   Hint:  Ask the seller at that eBay link if he can reduce the output voltage.

See my earlier post, where I measured temperatures with and without a heat sink applied:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/762967/uptone-audio-usb-regen/240#post_11813706

Mike

Sep 3, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #369 of 1,138
Please note that my USB Regen gets pretty hot when operated at 9V - which is the highest voltage UpTone Audio recommends when the USB Regen is supplying 5V power to a USB-powered DAC.  

If your DAC is not USB-powered, such that the USB Regen is only powering itself, the maximum supply voltage is 12V.

So...  If you intend to use the USB Regen with a USB-powered DAC or DAC/amp, I strongly recommend getting an LPS that can operate closer to 6.5V, instead of 9V.   Hint:  Ask the seller at that eBay link if he can reduce the output voltage.

See my earlier post, where I measured temperatures with and without a heat sink applied:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/762967/uptone-audio-usb-regen/240#post_11813706

Mike
I have the Schiit gungnir dac. It should be OK with 9v right?

Sep 3, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #370 of 1,138

Mike

I also need to know what voltage i need for the power adaptor to the Regen if i connect it to a Chord Hugo ??

Sep 3, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #371 of 1,138
I also need to know what voltage i need for the power adaptor to the Regen if i connect it to a Chord Hugo ??

The Hugo uses it's own power supply, so doesn't draw power from the USB line. This allows the Regen to be supplied with higher voltage. Similarly I use the Regen with my Geek Pulse Infinity (which also doesn't draw USB power) and power the Regen with a spare leg from the LPS4, which is actually 12V. Cheers

Sep 4, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #372 of 1,138
The Hugo uses it's own power supply, so doesn't draw power from the USB line. This allows the Regen to be supplied with higher voltage. Similarly I use the Regen with my Geek Pulse Infinity (which also doesn't draw USB power) and power the Regen with a spare leg from the LPS4, which is actually 12V. Cheers

Do you use the 1.2 or .5 12v output?

Sep 4, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #373 of 1,138

Okey so you gain SQ with higher volt like 12 v or whats the benefits, and do Uptone guarantee the quality with 12 volts?

Do you also know any 12 v linear power plant for the Regen ?

Sep 4, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #374 of 1,138
Okey so you gain SQ with higher volt like 12 v or whats the benefits, and do Uptone guarantee the quality with 12 volts?

To answer the last 2 posts:

1) I use one of the 0.5A taps.
2) The only reason I use the 12V is because I have a world class LPS sitting a few inches from the Regen and that LPS is 12V.
3) I don't know that 12V has a positive impact on the SQ at all, again for me it's about convenience.
4) Uptone has said 12V is okay, but ONLY if the DAC doesn't draw power from the USB cable.

Cheers

Sep 4, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #375 of 1,138
I have the Schiit gungnir dac. It should be OK with 9v right?

Quoting your manufacturer's FAQ page at http://schiit.com/products/gungnir:

How about USB and Android?
Yes. Many Android devices (4.0 and up) can work with our DACs using a USB On The Go Cable and Audio Player Pro app (a paid app, about $10.) You'll need to apply Audio Tweak 1, and you may have to use an externally powered USB 2.0 hub for some phones or tablets that don't supply enough power to run the USB input.

In other words, your AC-powered Gungnir relies on an external source for 5V DC power to operate its USB receiver. This means that the power for the Gungnir's USB input will have to come from the USB Regen and this, in turn, means that you do not want to exceed 9V, because there are two voltage regulator inside the USB Regen, one that supplies 5V power to DACs that need it and another that supplies 3.3V to the USB Regen's own circuits. The higher the supply voltage the hotter these two voltage regulators will get as they convert the excess voltage into heat.

9V is is high as you should go when using a DAC that pulls 5V power from the USB Regen, and I can tell you that your Regen will get very warm even at 9V - hot enough that it really appreciates my use of the heat sink I pictured in the post I referenced above.  

It is possible to supply the USB Regen with as little as 5V, even when the DAC pulls power from the USB Regen - it will run cooler and thus, the components will last a few more years, perhaps, than they would at 9V - who knows for sure (?), but heat is the enemy of longevity. The ideal voltage in my mind is something around 6V or 6.5V when using a USB-powered DAC

Given that UpTone Audio will be offering (in October?) an accessory for the USB Regen's included 7.5V SMPS, an accessory that will provide extremely clean, noise-free power to the USB Regen, I would avoid spending a lot of money on a LPS right now, unless you know you'll have some other use for it later.  In the interim, if you just want to make a quick improvement over using the SMPS, I would recommend this, affordable EI-core LPS, which I've had for several years, for use with DACs that will pull power from the Regen, because you can adjust the output voltage yourself by turning an adjustment screw inside.  I've got mine adjusted to 6.5V:   http://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-TeraLink-X1-X2-DC8-5V-1A-USB-DC5V-port-external-Linear-Power-Supply-/301694857782

As mscot58 has posted, the Hugo is self-powered, so you can feed the USB Regen with as much as 12V, but keep in mind that, the Regen's 3.3V regulator will have to create more heat with the higher voltage. A 5V LPS would allow the Regen to run much cooler than a 12V LPS, even when the DAC is self-powered.   mscott58's use of a 0.5 Amp (500 mA) tap on his 12V LPS4, is fine because the USB Regen itself only draws something like 40 mA, but if he was also trying to power a 500mA USB DAC, that tap might not supply enough current for both the DAC and the Regen itself, in addition to overheating the Regen due to running at 12V.  

Again, 12V is the maximum voltage permissible for the Regen when using a DAC that is self-powered - no harm will come to the Regen at 12V, according to UpTone Audio, but a lower voltage would allow it to run cooler and thus, last longer.   

A few months ago, there was a brief rally of posts in the USB Regen thread at computeraudiophile about whether or not a higher voltage improves sound quality, but the consensus quickly squelched that notion. The vast majority of users would agree with my interpretation of mscott58's conservative position that running at 12V does not, in and of itself, improve sound quality.  Noisy power is your enemy.

-----

I would again recommend that everyone who doesn't already have an LPS for some other purpose, just use the included 7.5V SMPS, while waiting for the October (?) release of UpTone Audio's new accessory - that promises to provide ultra-clean power to the Regen.  

For more on the voltage requirements, minimums and maximums, here is the UpTone Audio FAQ page for the USB Regen:  

http://uptoneaudio.com/pages/usb-regen-questions-and-answers

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back