UpTone Audio USB REGEN
Aug 21, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #331 of 1,138
Good article!

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #332 of 1,138
So the article says that the best combo (for him) 1 JB in an unused port, and one JB in line with the REGEN direct to the DAC?
Good, thats exactly what I ordered :)

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #334 of 1,138
I just added the Jitterbug to my Regen/ idsd line. I think those of you waiting for this little bargain from AudioQuest are going to be pleasantly surprised by the enhancement it gives. To be honest. I was not expecting much.

So what did I get for $49? Improvement in clarity, reduced stress and more musicality that comes from yet more timing refinement and noise reduction.

My output is not on the usb bus as it is comes from a PPA usb card, but I might want to add a 2nd Jitterbug to the other port. I can say it is a highly welcome addition to the Regen usb line.

I'm looking forward to getting the sbooster ultra and adding it to the HDPlex 8.5 volt supply line for the Regen. All this usb work is making the overachieving little micro idsd perform like a high end dac.......wow!

Dusty Springfield is still alive and well in the 192 khz "Dusty in Memphis" recording. Amazing natural vocals.

Kudos to AudioQuest on the Jitterbug!

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #335 of 1,138
  I just added the Jitterbug to my Regen/ idsd line. I think those of you waiting for this little bargain from AudioQuest are going to be pleasantly surprised by the enhancement it gives. To be honest. I was not expecting much.

So what did I get for $49? Improvement in clarity, reduced stress and more musicality that comes from yet more timing refinement and noise reduction.

I'm looking forward to getting the sbooster ultra and adding it to the HDPlex 8.5 volt supply line for the Regen. All this usb work is making the overachieving little micro idsd perform like a high end dac.......wow!

+1

Received mine yesterday and was pleased with the results.  Adding the Regen made a larger improvement than the Jitterbugs, but I am not complaining about the results of adding the Jitterbugs either.

Won't disagree that your micro idsd could be performing like a high end dac - a high end dac without Regen and Jitterbugs that is.  A high end dac with Regen and Jitterbugs just might be a different story.  
tongue.gif

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #336 of 1,138
  +1

Received mine yesterday and was pleased with the results.  Adding the Regen made a larger improvement than the Jitterbugs, but I am not complaining about the results of adding the Jitterbugs either.

Won't disagree that your micro idsd could be performing like a high end dac - a high end dac without Regen and Jitterbugs that is.  A high end dad with Regen and Jitterbugs just might be a different story.  
tongue.gif

+1
I am waiting for the idsd pro, but all this refinement to the usb line is making the wait very interesting.....Can't wait to add the pro to this transport. 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #337 of 1,138

Couldn't agree more.  I am very curious to hear how good things might get if they really figure this USB stuff out.  

The Regen way surpassed my expectations - to the point that, given a budget for a dac, instead of spending the entire budget on the dac, I would now recommend purchasing a Regen and using the remaining budget on the dac.

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #338 of 1,138

Couldn't agree more.  I am very curious to hear how good things might get if they really figure this USB stuff out.  

The Regen way surpassed my expectations - to the point that, given a budget for a dac, instead of spending the entire budget on the dac, I would now recommend purchasing a Regen and using the remaining budget on the dac.

Absolutely - why would you want to spend a lot of money on a DAC with sub-optimal USB implementation, only to have to buy a REGEN or similar anyways?

Aug 22, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #339 of 1,138
So my REGEN arrived on Thursday and I had a couple of days to listen to it and gather impressions. However, about 2 days prior to that I upgraded my desktop from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and didn't have much time to get used to the sonic differences Win10 brought, and it did.
So I'm having a hard time isolating the differences the REGEN made on its own, but I will try anyway. 
I have a Supra USB cable (which I bought a while ago in anticipation for the REGEN) connected to the REGEN which is then connected to a lowly Schiit Modi, going to a Burson Soloist and into my LCD3-Fs.
The first impression I got the minute I plugged the REGEN and hit the play button - smooooooth and detailed! It's a cliche, but I heard new details in tracks I have known for 20 years. And the smoothness - it's like everything is very effortless now. And more polite. In fact, a little bit of "oomph" is lost in some cases and I find myself wanting to turn the volume up to make things more 'in my face' again. Some of the differences in smoothness can also be attributed to to Windows10 upgrade, so take this with a grain of salt.
Some people mentioned they have felt a decrease in bass quantity. I do feel a little bit of that, and the overall sound is a tiny bit leaner on my setup. That is if I'm not imagining things. One thing's for sure - there's definitely no increase in bass.
I haven't noticed any major changes in soundstage, but the imaging and layering might have improved a bit, as expected when the sound is more detailed. Also, ambient sound are heard more easily, like fading reverb, which adds to sound image.
It's important to mention that the Modi gets its power from the USB, so in my case I'm now getting lower noise power than what I had, in addition to a cleaner USB signal. I'm guessing that for DACs with external power the differences might not be as prominent.

I'm going to give it a week to get used to the new sound and then take the REGEN out and compare, to better understand what it adds.

Overall, I think this is an amazing little product, and I recommend it for anyone using USB audio. Thank you Alex (Superdad) and John!
Happy listening 
beyersmile.png

Aug 22, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #340 of 1,138

My output is not on the usb bus as it is comes from a PPA usb card, but I might want to add a 2nd Jitterbug to the other port. I can say it is a highly welcome addition to the Regen usb line.

Dusty Springfield is still alive and well in the 192 khz "Dusty in Memphis" recording. Amazing natural vocals.

Kudos to AudioQuest on the Jitterbug!

You got any pictures of that setup?  

At some point it will become too many things in the single path - won't it?  

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #341 of 1,138

You got any pictures of that setup?  

At some point it will become too many things in the single path - won't it?  

It's a normal Regen setup on the micro, the Jitterbug gets added back on the PPA V4 usb card output port of the Audio pc.

When does it become too much...............I guess when the sound quality degrades. The Jitterbug was a definite plus.

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #342 of 1,138
Added a cheap China LPS (you can get it on EBay for 70$) with 9V to my Regen. I am surprised how much better the imaging became. Definately worth the invest.
Now I am waiting for the SBooster ultra.

Aug 23, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #343 of 1,138
Just talked about this on the Geek Pulse thread as well, but I was finally able to plug the Regen into my Geek Pulse X Infinity, powering the Regen using the LPS4 (which runs 12V, but since the Infinity does not pull power from the USB line it should be okay - might just get a bit hot. In fact I'm using an LHL 10G split USB cable). 

Only a short period of time with the system in this configuration but I like what I'm hearing. Overall more resolution and detail and what appears to be a blacker background and more "space" between the notes and instruments. Regen = Extra Resolution in my book. More to write about it later, but just wanted to say "well done" to the Uptone crew. 

Cheers

PS - If Uptone brought a bag of Regens to RMAF/CanJam this October I'm sure they could sell a ton...

Aug 23, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #344 of 1,138
  Just talked about this on the Geek Pulse thread as well, but I was finally able to plug the Regen into my Geek Pulse X Infinity, powering the Regen using the LPS4 (which runs 12V, but since the Infinity does not pull power from the USB line it should be okay - might just get a bit hot. In fact I'm using an LHL 10G split USB cable). 

Only a short period of time with the system in this configuration but I like what I'm hearing. Overall more resolution and detail and what appears to be a blacker background and more "space" between the notes and instruments. Regen = Extra Resolution in my book. More to write about it later, but just wanted to say "well done" to the Uptone crew. 

Cheers

PS - If Uptone brought a bag of Regens to RMAF/CanJam this October I'm sure they could sell a ton...

Has anyone else had issues with the Regen and the included adapter blocking any ports on their DAC? For example if you use the Regen with the Geek Pulse Infinity (or any X variant) using the USB A to USB B adapter Uptone includes it ends up blocking the XLR outputs.

I will have to figure a workaround for this when I get my Cavalli Liquid Carbon and will need the utilize the Infinity's XLR plugs.

Maybe a different adapter/cable to attach the Regen to the Infinity? Want to try to keep anythings as short as possible per Uptone's suggestion. 

Cheers 

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #345 of 1,138
  So my REGEN arrived on Thursday and I had a couple of days to listen to it and gather impressions. However, about 2 days prior to that I upgraded my desktop from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and didn't have much time to get used to the sonic differences Win10 brought, and it did.
So I'm having a hard time isolating the differences the REGEN made on its own, but I will try anyway. 
I have a Supra USB cable (which I bought a while ago in anticipation for the REGEN) connected to the REGEN which is then connected to a lowly Schiit Modi, going to a Burson Soloist and into my LCD3-Fs.
The first impression I got the minute I plugged the REGEN and hit the play button - smooooooth and detailed! It's a cliche, but I heard new details in tracks I have known for 20 years. And the smoothness - it's like everything is very effortless now. And more polite. In fact, a little bit of "oomph" is lost in some cases and I find myself wanting to turn the volume up to make things more 'in my face' again. Some of the differences in smoothness can also be attributed to to Windows10 upgrade, so take this with a grain of salt.
Some people mentioned they have felt a decrease in bass quantity. I do feel a little bit of that, and the overall sound is a tiny bit leaner on my setup. That is if I'm not imagining things. One thing's for sure - there's definitely no increase in bass.
I haven't noticed any major changes in soundstage, but the imaging and layering might have improved a bit, as expected when the sound is more detailed. Also, ambient sound are heard more easily, like fading reverb, which adds to sound image.
It's important to mention that the Modi gets its power from the USB, so in my case I'm now getting lower noise power than what I had, in addition to a cleaner USB signal. I'm guessing that for DACs with external power the differences might not be as prominent.

I'm going to give it a week to get used to the new sound and then take the REGEN out and compare, to better understand what it adds.

Overall, I think this is an amazing little product, and I recommend it for anyone using USB audio. Thank you Alex (Superdad) and John!
Happy listening 
beyersmile.png

Could you elaborate what Windows 10 adds over 7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back