UpTone Audio USB REGEN
Jul 31, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #227 of 1,138
  Regen just arrived.  Now I'm waiting for the TeraLink X2 LPS to arrive. 

http://www.teradak.com/products/46.html

Lets see what this does..

Yes, I am curious too.  You are a pretty experienced HeadFi'er (looking at your post count),  so I am curious on your thoughts.

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #228 of 1,138
  I paid $59 for my TerDak U9 last year. I adjusted it down to 7.2 volts. The Regen likes it a little lower. At 8.5 to 9 volts the Regen runs hot. You just take out the top 4 corner screws and the top comes off. There is a little blue potentiometer, that is the adjustment.

I switched back to HQ Player last night and I'm playing upsampled PCM at 768khz and Quad DSD at 11.2 mhz through the Regen to my micro. It plays flawlessly and sounds great. It's nice to use the insane sample rate capabilities of this awesome little micro.

I've got the U9 I use with their USB isolator board and would like to try the REGEN/U9. Can you tell me how to use a multimeter to adjust the pot? I design PCBs for a living, but know very little about the electrical side of the tech. Thanks. And did you stay with 7.2V? Uptone suggests 7V on their JS-2.

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #229 of 1,138

I've got the U9 I use with their USB isolator board and would like to try the REGEN/U9. Can you tell me how to use a multimeter to adjust the pot? I design PCBs for a living, but know very little about the electrical side of the tech. Thanks. And did you stay with 7.2V? Uptone suggests 7V on their JS-2.

The 7.2 volts was a compromise because the lower the voltage the higher current the U9 will put out. It is probably close to it's limit.....the higher voltage (8.5-9) is not good for the Regen. 7.2 was just a guess as to the best point for both devices.

You measure the voltage with the output cable connected to the U9 but disconnected from the Regen. Measure the end you would insert into the Regen. Measure the voltage from the outside of the barrel connector (gnd) to the inside pin(+VDC).  You will have to stick the red voltmeter probe into the barrel, black on the metal outside of the barrel. It will read somewhere between 8.5 and 9 volts. With a little flat blade (jewelers) screwdriver, turn the potentiometer counterclockwise until you read between 7 to 7.2 volts. Done! :)

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #230 of 1,138
  The 7.2 volts was a compromise because the lower the voltage the higher current the U9 will put out. It is probably close to it's limit.....the higher voltage (8.5-9) is not good for the Regen. 7.2 was just a guess as to the best point for both devices.

You measure the voltage with the output cable connected to the U9 but disconnected from the Regen. Measure the end you would insert into the Regen. Measure the voltage from the outside of the barrel connector (gnd) to the inside pin(+VDC).  You will have to stick the red voltmeter probe into the barrel, black on the metal outside of the barrel. It will read somewhere between 8.5 and 9 volts. With a little flat blade (jewelers) screwdriver, turn the potentiometer counterclockwise until you read between 7 to 7.2 volts. Done! :)

That was easy. Thank you. One unit measured 8.49 and another at 8.44. I adjusted one to 7.1 for now. Thanks again.

Jul 31, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #231 of 1,138
You're welcome.

A friend sent me an SBooster to put on the power input to the Regen. It noticeably increased the transparency and depth of the audio. I decided to get the SBooster Ultra specifically developed for the Regen. I have another use for the other SBooster.
I have since seen a reference to it earlier in this thread:
http://www.sbooster.com/sbooster-ultra/switch-mode-upgrade-regen
I will post my experience when I get it. It will be inserted between the power input of the Regen and the output of the Teradak U9. You can use it with whatever you power the Regen with.

If you are in U.S. you can order Sbooster Ultra for the Regen by contacting Brian here:  proaudio@comcast.net
$50 shipped is not bad for a nice tweak like that.

Edit: The price is actually $100, we had a miscommunication about which device I was ordering,
        I'll still purchase it.

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #232 of 1,138
^ IME the SBooster made the sound terribly flabby, it's just a passive device with a bunch of caps...no miracle to be expected IME(and others FWIR), let us know how it works for you then.

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #233 of 1,138
  ^ IME the SBooster made the sound terribly flabby, it's just a passive device with a bunch of caps...no miracle to be expected IME(and others FWIR), let us know how it works for you then.

Yes, it is a filter and a passive device. Filters are effective in eliminating EMI/noise which is always the enemy of SQ. I've not read all the reviews of the sbooster, but there are several very positive reviews on Computer Audiophile. So with everything in computer audio, YRMV. I can say the sbooster made a positive difference in imaging details and noise floor on the Regen in MY system. I am projecting that the Ultra will be a notch better.

I can say the combination of the TeraDak U9 and the sbooster is a significant upgrade over the supplied SMPS.

Another passive device I love: http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7419-ps-audio-noise-harvester-black.aspx
I have an outlet strip with 6 of them where my system is plugged in. They are like EMI defenders, guarding the gate.

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #235 of 1,138
Nice tip Fran, I also use a few DIY noise harvester type devices in my system.

And I have been following the Regen over at CA for while and the SBooster is considered a nice upgrade. Just got an email from Brian, and the SBooster that is $50 is not the Ultra it is the regular SBooster (passive), the Ultra is active and he is selling that for $100.

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #236 of 1,138
  Is the sbooster on the same lines as the iFi iPurifier?

The ipurifier would go on the usb line input and fight EMI there, the sbooster the power input line of the Regen. I have an ipurifier on my usb input for the Regen. It's effect is more subtle now that the Regen is in line also, but it helps some. If you get one, they take at least 100 hours to burn in. I already had mine.

I have become a big fan of power quality, adding filtering, power conditioners and good power supplies wherever I can. The imaging and lower noise floor improvements these devices provide lead to a spectacular sound presentation. Transparent and multi-dimensional sound does not come easy......or cheap. That being said there are some nice bargains to be found.

As this thread is about the Regen, I must give kudos to the folks at Uptone. The Regen is amazing and one of the best $ for $ audio purchases on the market. :)

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #237 of 1,138
Ditto to power quality.

In recent years I too have come to find that the quality of power is crucial to the sound you hear. Funny talking about the Regen, John Swenson had posted a power supply one could build for the Squeezebox Touch a few years back. I built one of those per details provided and it opened my eyes to the importance of power supplies. It provided a large jump in what you heard from the Squeezebox. Have found repeatedly that power supplies are important, and all things concerning power can provide nice returns. 

Aug 1, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #238 of 1,138
My apologies that my original post about the SBooster Ultra for the Regen is inaccurate. There was a misunderstanding between Brian and I. This device costs $100 and it also contains active filtering technology. The regular SBooster is passive. I will still order it but it will be 2-3 weeks until he gets them. It still connects the same way, in-line with your power supply input to the Regen. He is only ordering 5 units so...........

Aug 1, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #239 of 1,138
I believe that is true, but, for those of us who are not DIYers, these upgrades are often as expensive or more than the gear they are powering. Good, reasonable tips are always much appreciated.

Aug 1, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #240 of 1,138
  (snip)

If you are in U.S. you can order Sbooster Ultra for the Regen by contacting Brian here:  proaudio@comcast.net
$50 shipped is not bad for a nice tweak like that.

Edit: The price is actually $100, we had a miscommunication about which device I was ordering,
        I'll still purchase it.

Yes!

I had sent Brian this email with the subject header "SBooster Ultra for Regen"...

Hi Brian,

Referencing this post at the Head-Fi forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/762967/uptone-audio-usb-regen/225#post_11802753

Are you actually offering this product for U.S. $50.00, including shipping, to Dallas, Texas for example?

This product?: http://www.sbooster.com/sbooster-ultra/switch-mode-upgrade-for-the-regen

Thank you,

Mike 

I don't quote other people's private communications without asking their permission, but he made no mention of wanting $100 for the Ultra version in his first reply, instead providing instructions for how to send him $50.

So, I apparently suffered the same miscommunication as you, despite having used the subject header "SBooster Ultra for Regen" and providing a link to both your post and to the SBooster web site's page for the Ultra version.

After asking for clarification of his obfuscated reply to my original query, in which he had quoted $50, he said he's out of stock on the $100 Ultra version.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back