UpTone Audio USB REGEN
Aug 6, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #256 of 1,138
Nice write up in AudioStream. Congrats Alex & John!

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #257 of 1,138
I'd like to try this device out. I just have a desktop computer powered by wall outlet, and connected to a Gungnir DAC, BHA-1 amp, and headphones. DAC and amp also powered by the wall outlets. Balanced cables for the whole chain, except for PC to DAC, which is USB cable.

Is there anything else I should be placing between my outlet and computer, or outlet and Regen, or Regen and DAC, or DAC and amp, to get the best out of this?

Aug 6, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #258 of 1,138

Is there anything else I should be placing between my outlet and computer, or outlet and Regen, or Regen and DAC, or DAC and amp, to get the best out of this?

Even the Audiostream review comments that a $799 linear PS made only "subtle" improvements over the stock SMPS.  I had similar experience trying linear supply I already had compared to stock.  However, this Li battery DIY contraption made the most improvement in SQ for me and probably cost like $15, all from eBay 
gs1000.gif

19733647013_556652b437_b.jpg

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #260 of 1,138
Yes, exactly.  Two 18650 batteries in series in that battery holder results in 7.4 V perfect for Regen, which does not sip much juice and can be powered for very, very long time with the two batteries.  One can always rig up a fancy recharging system, or simply swap in recharged batteries after several listening sessions.  

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #261 of 1,138
nevermind

Aug 7, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #263 of 1,138
  My latest "transportable" rig:

e377176e_IMG_2127_iPad3_CCK_USB_Regen_on_9V_Anker_Astro_Pro_Oppo_HA-2_HD800-1350x850.jpeg

iPad 3 > CCK > Supra USB 0.7m > UpTone Audio USB Regen powered by 9V Anker Astro Pro LiPo battery > Oppo HA-2 > Sennheiser HD 800

There's room for improvement with the USB A -to- USB Micro B cable that connects the USB Regen to the OPPO HA-2  

It sounds great at the moment, but it goes against the consensus that you want this connection to be as short as possible. With the USB Regen having "washed" the bits, why get them dirty again?  
tongue.gif

I've ordered a "solid" adapter and a short cable that looks promising, in case the solid adapter puts to much stress on the connections by nature of the Oppo HA-2 being thinner than the USB Regen.  Then again, I could always elevate the HA-2 with some kind of a shim beneath it, I suppose.

I'll be testing both of them to make sure their shields are connected at both ends.

(snip)

Much better, but I'm having to shim the Oppo HA-2 with a mouse pad to get it to the correct height for the USB Regen's USB A connector...

Joy!  
biggrin.gif

Mike

Aug 8, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #266 of 1,138
These graphs showed that unregulated 18650 could dip just under 3V (i.e. 2.75V or so) under load before the protective circuitry kicks in

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650CurvesAll%20UK.html

2S1P or 2S2P etc. could result in less than 6V unregulated and that's a bit shy according to Mike's post here

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/uptone-audio-regen-22803/index57.html#post435433

To power the USB Regen, you will need a supply that delivers a minimum current of 1 Amp, in the range of 6VDC to 12VDC, as follows:

6V is the lowest you can go, keeps heat inside the Regen to a minimum and it works for DACs that require 5V USB power or DACs that don't, but the Regen might not sound as good as when powered with higher voltages.

7.5V is what the Regen's included SMPS supplies, runs the Regen a little warmer than at lower voltages, works for DACs that require 5V USB power or DACs that don't, and the Regen might sound better than at lower voltages, but not as good as at higher voltages.

9V is as high as you can go if you are using a DAC that requires 5V USB power, works fine with DACs that don't, and the Regen might sound better than at lower voltages, but not as good as at higher voltages.

12V cannot be used with DACs that require 5V USB power, but works fine with DACs that don't, and the Regen might sound better than when it is powered at lower voltages.

Note: My references to how the Regen might sound better when it runs hotter, relate to previous posts in this thread where that was discussed. YMMV and MMMV, too! :)

Mike 

The highs of unregulated 18650 should be around 4.2V when they're fully charged, so 8.4V ain't a big deal with a pair of them.

Could the lowest range be a concern if that were dipping all the way down to 5.5V?

For safety reasons, is it a good idea to go for protected cells?

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Panasonic%20NCR18650B%20Protected%203400mAh%20(Green)%20UK.html

Aug 8, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #267 of 1,138
Waiting to get my Regen...I've been following this thread since I heard about it. Have to say, reading it feels like I'm in a foreign country and only understand a bit of the language :smiley:

Aug 8, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #268 of 1,138
Just read the Regen review on Audiostream and subsequently, the Jitter Bug review. This got me wondering about how it would affect the signal after the Regen, rather than after the source if it was used instead of a USB adapter. It could be perfect to use with the iDSD Micro between the Regen and the Micro, due to the recessed male connection on the DAC, without having to add another link in the chain. I was considering buying a custom adapter from Forza (like Franatic has), but perhaps this would serve a better/dual purpose?

Does anyone have any experience with a Regen and Jitterbug combo?
I'm thinking that for $79AUD shipped, it's certainly worth trying.

Aug 9, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #269 of 1,138
  Just read the Regen review on Audiostream and subsequently, the Jitter Bug review. This got me wondering about how it would affect the signal after the Regen, rather than after the source if it was used instead of a USB adapter. It could be perfect to use with the iDSD Micro between the Regen and the Micro, due to the recessed male connection on the DAC, without having to add another link in the chain. I was considering buying a custom adapter from Forza (like Franatic has), but perhaps this would serve a better/dual purpose?

Does anyone have any experience with a Regen and Jitterbug combo?
I'm thinking that for $79AUD shipped, it's certainly worth trying.

I sent an email to Matthew of Forza requesting an adapter be made for the Regen. I asked for a male to male usb 'A'>'B'. I will use it with the one he had previously made me for the micro idsd. I will use the new adapter by itself when I connect the Regen to the future idsd pro.

The Audioquest Jitter Bug looks like an interesting device. I already have an ifi ipurifier in line with the Regen. I suppose the Jitter bug might be overkill but at $49.....??

I started using the micro in battery mode with the Regen and improved SQ even more. The Regen rocks!!

EDIT: Kritikal, I just digested what you said about using the Jitter bug. I would get rid of the ForzA adapter and the adapter sent with the Regen and put the Jitter Bug directly between the micro and the Regen............SWEET! I'm going to try that.

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #270 of 1,138
I sent an email to Matthew of Forza requesting an adapter be made for the Regen. I asked for a male to male usb 'A'>'B'. I will use it with the one he had previously made me for the micro idsd. I will use the new adapter by itself when I connect the Regen to the future idsd pro.

The Audioquest Jitter Bug looks like an interesting device. I already have an ifi ipurifier in line with the Regen. I suppose the Jitter bug might be overkill but at $49.....??

I started using the micro in battery mode with the Regen and improved SQ even more. The Regen rocks!!

EDIT: Kritikal, I just digested what you said about using the Jitter bug. I would get rid of the ForzA adapter and the adapter sent with the Regen and put the Jitter Bug directly between the micro and the Regen............SWEET! I'm going to try that.

Yeah, it's definitely worth trying! My main IEM's aren't with me at the moment (getting a replacement due to the faceplate coming off with a minor drop). The best I have at the moment are the Shure SE425 (I regret selling the SM64 now!), and they're not the best to realize a gain from tweaks like this. I'll hold out a week or two until there's a point to grab one, and hopefully some people such as yourself will have the chance to try it. :)

Interesting that you preferred the Regen and iDSD combo with the iDSD running off battery, I found the opposite to bring a (decent) improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back