Upgrading setup with DAC/Amp
Aug 18, 2013 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Fluency

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my current audio setup with a DAC and amp. I currently own an ATH-M50 that just runs straight to my computer (well technically the signal runs through Bose Companion 2 speakers and then to the M50s). I mainly use them for music production and mixing. I've been thinking that I might not be running the M50s up to their full potential with the current setup, and I'm wondering if adding a DAC and an amp would make a notable difference in audio quality. Specifically the Magni/Modi by Schiit DAC/amp combo. Or do I even need to amp the M50s? Their impedence is 38 ohms.

On another note, I've also looked at some Fiio products, but I've heard that they're not really the best quality. Does anyone have opinions on them?

Thanks!

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 6
There is absolutely nothing wrong with FiiO products for their price point, but you would probably be better off with the Magni / Modi combination.

beerchug.gif

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
I'm looking to upgrade my current audio setup with a DAC and amp. I currently own an ATH-M50 that just runs straight to my computer (well technically the signal runs through Bose Companion 2 speakers and then to the M50s). I mainly use them for music production and mixing. I've been thinking that I might not be running the M50s up to their full potential with the current setup, and I'm wondering if adding a DAC and an amp would make a notable difference in audio quality. Specifically the Magni/Modi by Schiit DAC/amp combo. Or do I even need to amp the M50s? Their impedance is 38 ohms.
On another note, I've also looked at some Fiio products, but I've heard that they're not really the best quality. Does anyone have opinions on them?

For the price your will to pay for a DAC & Amp (Magni/Modi), $200, you could upgrade to headphones better then the ATH-M50.
Like the ATH-A900X.

Or just buy a Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $30 and there is a$10 mail in rebate this month.
Something low cost to try to improve the ATH-M50s.
But hopefully you get better headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back