Upgrading from westone UM2. - what to buy and consider
Mar 19, 2011 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Die Roboter

New Head-Fier
Hi. i own UM2 and im very pleased especially with comfort. Im aiming for UM3x. IS anything better out nthere....im out of the loop kinda

NO Shure recs. Dont like them

Budget: 350$ ...ish

Mar 19, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 12
I think the obvious suggestion would be the earsonic sm3
other than the um3x I would think the westone 3 and westone 4

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 12
If you like UM2 sound sig, UM3X is the obvious HUGE upgrade path.  If you want a more musical sound, larger, more colorful sound, go with W3.  Or W4 would be the monster upgrade giving you the best charateristics of both UM3X and W3.

Mar 31, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #8 of 12
Well, if it's of any use to you.
I have been using the clear UM2s for quite sometime now. Simply love them, and they are just too comfy!
Recently i headed down to audition a pair of SM3s and TF10s, well, like some have mentioned, the SM3s signature takes some getting use to.
Its pretty dark, but overall somewhat similar to the UM2(well, just barely).
I probably need more time with them to find out their full potential.

Well, to cut it short, i settled on a pair of TF10s to reshell. Cldn't beat the price.
The TF10 handled the highs quite alot better, without being grainy or harsh. Its alot brighter sounding than the SM3.
BUT, the bass emphasis isn't as apparent when compared to the UM2 of course, that was pretty obvious. But it did feel more punchy and precise.

Apologise if i just made your paradox of choices, more "paradox-ical".
beyersmile.png

My $0.02.

Thanx!
etysmile.gif

Mar 31, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 12
Shure SE535 will be a good upgrade from UM2 as well.

Mar 31, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 12
in my opinion the Fiio e5 actually hurts the performance of buds with multiple iem's.

Quote:
One more thing. I own a Sony X series,and would i reallly need an amp for UM3x or Earsonic SM3? Im thinking Fiio E5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back