Upgrading from V6
Nov 16, 2005 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Head Creep

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm trying to figure out my next purchase, but I'm not sure which way to go. I like the V6's bass impact, and the highs don't bother me at all, but the mids are definately lacking. With that in mind, what should I be looking at buying? The Beyer DT770 looks nice, but it seems to have the same midrange problem, and I'm afraid it might have too much bass (I like bass impact and depth, but it still has to be balanced). The DT250's seem to be the front-runner at the moment, and now that I've found the Ultrasone HFI-700 going for $100 new I'm digging around for info on those too.

Ampage is to be determined, seeing how I haven't bought an amp yet (but do intend to). Budget is no more than the cost of the DT770's on Amazon (~$160 plus shipping). I really can't afford anything more, so please don't tempt me. Less (money) is more, because I need to save up for an amp as well.

Nov 16, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Do you need closed? An HD 555 or 595 has sweet mids.

I don't need anything closed, but I'm looking for more bass impact than what the Senn's offer. Also, I want to stay away from Grado's, since my SR-60's were very cheaply built, and I'm not about to spend more than $100 on something that falls apart so easily.

Nov 19, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 17
Nobody has any opinions? All I really need is good bass extension with a nice kick to it, and preferably a midrange that's better than the V6. Highs don't really matter, since I honestly don't have much of a preference between E2c's (almost no highs) and the Sony EX51 (just a tad bit brighter than the sun).

Nov 19, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 17
Try and find a set of used 770/80s. They're a definite "logical upgrade" from V6s. Then later you can get an amp, and get another big improvement. And then later, Darth Woody em for the true beyer love...

Nov 19, 2005 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 17
More bass impact than HD595... what about a HD590 then? I had a listen to current DT990s recently and they sounded pretty much like the measured frequency response (bathtub) suggests. Compared to that, HD590s are downright harmless.

Nov 20, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #7 of 17
From what I've read, the HD590 doesn't sound like the right choice for me. I'm a bass fiend (but I'm not a fan of bass bloat), and from what I've read none of the Sennheiser's will fit the bill.

A bit of an update: I have a first-generation SuperMacro in the mail right now, so that'll be my amp for whatever I buy next. Right now, I've been looking at the Beyer DT770-250 (afraid that it might be a bit bloated and overwhelming in the bass area) and AKG K240S ("groovalizers", plus they're on Amazon for $70, which means that, if necessary, I could afford a Headphile recable right off the bat). The DT770 sounds like what I'm looking for, but I'm a bit gun-shy thanks to the idea that I'd be buying the headphone equivelant of a Camry/Accord with cheap subwoofers turned up to 11.

Nov 28, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 17
Shameless bumpage.

The HD590's seem a bit like what I'm looking for (after reading a bit more into them and not just generalizing the Senn sound), so I'll throw those back into the mix. Amp is a SuperMacro v1 with switches, budget could possibly be stretched to $250, and I'd like to buy sometime after this Friday. Any recommendations?

Nov 28, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #9 of 17
The DT770/250 sounds pretty good with a supermacro v1. That was my first entry into headfidom. You can tweak them later, but it'll be a huge improvement from the V6 out of the box.

Nov 28, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 17
The Beyer dt990, sounds like just the headphone for you. At $157.00 it is a great value with plenty of bass, detailed but controlled highs & a sparkling mid-range.

I also own the Sony V6's, so I know this will be quite a step up for you. The build quality is great too, so you won't have to deal with any of the "cheezy" construction issues that plague some mfg's products.

- augustwest

Nov 28, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 17
well nothing can beat the price of the HD590 for 99 bucks shipped new @ JR ...

but beware head creep... from the post I have read about the 590 that they IMO ae similar to your V6...

"good bass impact" "bright highs compared to regular sennheiser's" "mid is lacking"

anything comes to mind? hehe

Nov 28, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by aZn_plyR
but beware head creep... from the post I have read about the 590 that they IMO ae similar to your V6...

"good bass impact" "bright highs compared to regular sennheiser's" "mid is lacking"

anything comes to mind? hehe

That's the same reason that I'm scared to get the DT770's, and why the K240S looks pretty attractive. Maybe the DT990 is the one for me.

Nov 29, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #13 of 17
I've actually been looking into going back to the MDR-V6 for a change after using the K240S for a while. If you want to do some sort of swap/trade, please feel free to PM me. The DT990's also look like a good choice.

Nov 29, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #14 of 17
I stopped by Shelley's Audio today to pick up an interconnect, and while there I fell in love with the HD590's (and almost gave the people working there a heart attack when I showed them OnSale's $100 price, a whole $170 cheaper than Shelley's price). They didn't have any music I was familiar with, and I didn't have any CD's on me, but I could tell that they are what I'm looking for. I guess I'm a future member of team Sennheiser after all...

Nov 29, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
I stopped by Shelley's Audio today to pick up an interconnect, and while there I fell in love with the HD590's (and almost gave the people working there a heart attack when I showed them OnSale's $100 price, a whole $170 cheaper than Shelley's price). They didn't have any music I was familiar with, and I didn't have any CD's on me, but I could tell that they are what I'm looking for. I guess I'm a future member of team Sennheiser after all...

Yup. Welcome
smily_headphones1.gif
. I personally don't understand why people complain about the lack of bass impact on Sennheisers - they do just about everything right, including bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back