Upgrading from UM2. Dilemma of the week is choosing UM3X or IE8
May 9, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #18 of 58
Just wanted to share something with you.
Have been using the UM2 for the past year and i got W3 to replace it.
W3 does what the UM2 does but better.
I havent heard the UM3X, but i have the ES3X.
If UM3X is anywhere near ES3X, then all that's left for me to say is, U'll not regret it! =)
Once you have heard a Westone, it's hard to change to other brands.

May 9, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #19 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
id say you cant compare anything to the um3x just now, its so band shiny new it its going to win everything whether it should or not

im not saying it isnt great and i quite fancy it myself but just be aware of it being FOTM

Well depends on who is doing the comparison, and the content of the review. You should take every review with a grain of salt, but usually you can tell who is just excited about what they bought and who is being realistic. Usually everyone can find some reviewer(s) that have similar tastes or atleast have been right in the past about something else as opposed to "this headphone is the best ever?!?!"

May 9, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #20 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by xandman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to share something with you.
Have been using the UM2 for the past year and i got W3 to replace it.
W3 does what the UM2 does but better.
I havent heard the UM3X, but i have the ES3X.
If UM3X is anywhere near ES3X, then all that's left for me to say is, U'll not regret it! =)
Once you have heard a Westone, it's hard to change to other brands.

Agree here. I bought and sold both the IE8 and IE7, mainly on the strength of the Westone 3 outperforming them. I don't dislike the Senns, but in every A/B listen, I really favored the W3s (this is after struggling with the right tip for 3 months. I settled on the tri-flange modded a bit). But the W3s really sound fantastic when they are working on all cylinders. Sure the UM3X is in the same league, if not the identical ballpark.

Also, I expect major iso with an IEM, and the W3s deliver that too. The Senns don't in my view.

May 9, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #21 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by kg21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well depends on who is doing the comparison, and the content of the review. You should take every review with a grain of salt, but usually you can tell who is just excited about what they bought and who is being realistic. Usually everyone can find some reviewer(s) that have similar tastes or atleast have been right in the past about something else as opposed to "this headphone is the best ever?!?!"

well i agree in part, i mean i have no doubts they are very very good and some glowing reviews i do view as being absolutly trust worthy.

however ive seen it many times before something new appears and OMG its suddenly the bestest most awsomest ever in the whole world ever!!!!!!

like the pfe was and the IE8 before that, not saying both arent great just that we are an excitable bunch and sometimes can get a little carried away with ourselves

May 9, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #22 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i agree in part, i mean i have no doubts they are very very good and some glowing reviews i do view as being absolutly trust worthy.

however ive seen it many times before something new appears and OMG its suddenly the bestest most awsomest ever in the whole world ever!!!!!!

like the pfe was and the IE8 before that, not saying both arent great just that we are an excitable bunch and sometimes can get a little carried away with ourselves

LOL, becasue this is head fi. Get used to FOTM already. I am trying to use my judgment to see if I should get new IEM. Like new apple in ear, it is nothing like it is not an IEM banging the buck, I just don't think it suits me well as it is lack of bass
ksc75smile.gif

May 10, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #23 of 58
I too would like to know where people would go from the UM2 upgrade wise in terms of the obvious choices of W3/UM3X/IE8

After getting the HD600 and ESW9, I cannot look past the thumpy bloaty bass on the UM2. I have demo'd the IE8... and for all the sparkle and expansiveness the bass is way too overpowering. I certainly could not stop going back to that in my mind

May 10, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #24 of 58
I own all three (Westone 3, Westone UM3X and Sennheiser IE8); my recommendation to you would be the Westone UM3X.

-Ed

May 10, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #25 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own all three (Westone 3, Westone UM3X and Sennheiser IE8); my recommendation to you would be the Westone UM3X.

-Ed

I am having all three as well. I think UM3X has more strenths out of three. But I need more careful and patient listening and will post later. Each have their strenghts as well. All depends on how you like to listen to music and on personal prefrerence.

May 10, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #26 of 58
I'm only recommending UM3X to the OP. For someone else, I may make a different recommendation.

-Ed

May 10, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #27 of 58
I have a um2 and I am liking it quite a lot.

I was wondering if the um3x is as loud unamped directly from a portable source. Also how does the bass of the um3x compare with um2?

Which IEM is closer in sound signature do the um2, um3x or w3?

May 10, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by genesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a um2 and I am liking it quite a lot.

I was wondering if the um3x is as loud unamped directly from a portable source. Also how does the bass of the um3x compare with um2?

Which IEM is closer in sound signature do the um2, um3x or w3?

Yes it is just about as loud. Certainly an amp is not required. Bass is just as big but tighter and less bloat. Deeper extension too. UM3X definitley follows the UM2 sound sig closer whereas W3 is sort of as departure, different kind of sound IMHO. Very logical upgrade. Like going from E4 to SE530.

May 10, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #29 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes it is just about as loud. Certainly an amp is not required. Bass is just as big but tighter and less bloat. Deeper extension too. UM3X definitley follows the UM2 sound sig closer whereas W3 is sort of as departure, different kind of sound IMHO. Very logical upgrade. Like going from E4 to SE530.

+1. I have the UM2, W3 and UM3X in front of me right now. In familial terms, I view the UM3X as the UM2's big brother. The W3 is like a cousin.

May 10, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #30 of 58
I have had the 3 of them, only not at the same time. I rather enjoy the UM3.
I do agree with the comment about FOTM. the descriptions I have read some time make me smile with the hyperbole some people use. The UM3X are the best I have listened to (in my narrow experience) but are not God's gift to mankind. Would I buy them again? yeap!
Although the DT880's sound better they are not as convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back