Upgrading from UM2. Dilemma of the week is choosing UM3X or IE8
May 12, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I'm not expert either but the mid bass hump can be so overwhelming (excessive boomy sound). That was the sole reason why I sold my W3, otherwise they were perfect (I never got sibilance from them).

Can anyone explain what is mid bass hump exactly? does it mean bass intrude the mid ?

May 12, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #49 of 58
I think you are right on point Spyro.

I have taken your opinion in the past also since I felt our tastes are pretty similar. I too prefer listening at loud volumes. And at that volume, things you don't like just become that much more pronounced in an IEM.

In the super.fi pro everything was at one level and I always wanted vocals upfront in the mix. It has an initial big sound which impresses you. But when you keep listening you start noticing things you do not like. Then you suggested the um2 and the vocals were back again and the detail and warmth were also present. In a few songs the bass becomes a bit intrusive but all in all I was quite impressed. I was also left wanting for a bit more detail on certain tracks.

So I think it is um3x for the win. Also the added comfort over the westone 3 is a plus.

May 12, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #50 of 58
It really seems that the UM3X is either going to be the IEM for me, or I'm going to hold off investing too much money into a portable rig until:

a) I can afford the ES3X
b) there is a new universal released that is clearly above the current crop that are usually debated.

The IE8 seems to have questionable isolation, which is an automatic disqualifier for me, along with a potential coloration of the lower midrange from the large amount of bass.

The W3 seems to have tons of tip/fit issues and seems otherwise fairly finicky.

May 12, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #51 of 58
I've had a pair of UM2s for about 4 years now and I recently purchased the IE8s. My choice was driven from a need for better highs. I find the UM2s are great all-rounders but the top end can sound harsh and sibilant to my ears, making some music unpleasant to listen to.

The IE8s gave the magic combination for me of great bass like the UM2s plus the excellent treble extension and clarity I was missing out on. As has been mentioned on here the area where they come up short is fit/isolation.

Like many others I have been fiddling with multiple tips for weeks now and I still can't get a reliable seal all the time. Without that seal the bass is reduced and it starts to sound thin. I am currently going down the custom sleeves path with a company called ACS. This seems to be the only way I will be able to guarantee a great seal and isolation. It's a shame as it adds an extra £88 to the price but as the IE8s cost me about £175 I think this still puts them on a par with the Westone's price wise plus I'll have customs
icon10.gif

Having said all that I've kept my UM2s and still use them for noisy environments like mowing the lawn etc !

May 12, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #52 of 58
The iso factor is a primary reason I sold the IE8s, that and comparing them to the W3s. Both obviously benefit from custom sleeves, but with the W3, I got the great isolation I wanted along with what I heard as a superior sound sig (at least for my tastes) without having to pay for a custom. All it took was a $3 triple-flange modded at the stalk. I didn't like the foam under silicone with the IE8s, and even the best tip I tried, the Sony hybrid large, wasn't quite good enough either. I could not see using them in noisy environments.

May 18, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #53 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardwired /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanted a new pair of IEMs and ordered the UM3X. Reading about the IE8, it sounded like it had too much bass for my tastes. Now I get to wait for them to arrive.
triportsad.gif

I was in the same boat as the OP, wanted to try something new after LOVING my UM2's, got IE7's and then IE8's and hated them - too deep and thumpy and the vocals took a backseat to the instruments... not my cup of tea at all!
Not to mention the fit and isolation was not even in the same league!

I can understand why people love these IEM's but they didn't quite fit my taste.

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #55 of 58
Hey fellas... curious about something.

What are the actual specification for the UM3x?
Cause what their webby suggest and the box is different!!

Web: UM3X True-Fit Three-Way Earphones :: Westone
Quote:

[size=x-small]UM3X Specifications

Sensitivity: 124dB/mW
Frequency response: 20 Hz -18 kHz
Impedance: 56 ohms
[/size]

and my box says [size=x-small]

[/size] Quote:

[size=xx-small]Sensitivity: 119dB/mW
Impedance: 27 ohms
[/size]

Back of box..
20090722-p3f7ejg8pu3qqrkfsdyxfqgtj1.jpg

Front..

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #56 of 58
for the first batch the impedance on the box wasn't changed. should be um2s' boxes i think. after that they pasted smth over it to specify the changes. don't worry. the um3xs have 56ohm impedance.

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #57 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnowho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for the first batch the impedance on the box wasn't changed. should be um2s' boxes i think. after that they pasted smth over it to specify the changes. don't worry. the um3xs have 56ohm impedance.

It does come in a UM2 style box, only with a bigger 3X on them... details on the inner section has been updated along with the driver information on the back. So why they didn't update the specs? Seems odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back