Upgrading from UM2. Dilemma of the week is choosing UM3X or IE8
May 10, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #32 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own all three (Westone 3, Westone UM3X and Sennheiser IE8); my recommendation to you would be the Westone UM3X.

-Ed

Whilst I acknowledge the in's and out's of people buying the UM56, I think a more useful second reference point is to use standard tips everybody can buy and use (well actually indeed, tips that come included).
A comparison review still makes for interesting reading, but it is qualified by the fact that most of us are wondering what to discount as the appreciable changes effected by the UM56

Before I am knocked and for it to be pointed out the review has all 3 IEMs with the UM56 fitted, all I am saying is that I use UM2 with Shure Olives. Others use whatever they prefer. Most of us will stick to such tips when upgrading. The UM56 is rather like the perrenial arguments about science in professional swimming (vis a vis costume material and design), but actually a bit more

May 10, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #33 of 58
Not sure if you have the right thread in your reply in mind, but I can test using modified triflanges if you like; however, I found that I need to use a different stem length to get comparable sound between the two, so that's not apples to apples as far as tip configuration.

-Ed

May 11, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #34 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gilency - Curious, what change or improvement would you make to UM3X?

mmmhhhh......I really like them the way they are. I am not really complaining about them.
Their main attribute is (to my ears) their neutrality. That also allows me to equalize if needed be. I have noticed they are very dependent on the recording. If they sound thin with not enough bass, I then try a different recording and the bass is back. (Vivaldi cello concerto with Yo Yo Ma is a piece I like to use as a reference because the strings sound very full and the bass is deep).

May 11, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #35 of 58
The one thing that sometimes irritates me is the mid bass hump in the um2. I like the bass to hit real low and not overpower the other frequencies.

So is the mid bass hump present in the um3x and also how is the soundstage?

May 11, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #36 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mmmhhhh......I really like them the way they are. I am not really complaining about them.
Their main attribute is (to my ears) their neutrality. That also allows me to equalize if needed be.

That's kind of what I figured. Granted I have only had mine for 10 days now but there is not one attribute I would change about this IEM. I could never say that about any other IEM I have owned.

May 11, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #37 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by genesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one thing that sometimes irritates me is the mid bass hump in the um2. I like the bass to hit real low and not overpower the other frequencies.

So is the mid bass hump present in the um3x and also how is the soundstage?

There is NO mid-bass hump in UM3X. None.

The soundstage is pretty unique. UM2 was very intimate and in your face. UM3X is still intimate and close as far as the overall presentation yet the instrument placement is farther away relative to each other. Sort of a beachball sized headstage rather than the typical between the ears headstage of UM2 if that makes sense.

May 11, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #38 of 58
Thanks for the info Spyro.

Does the westone 3 have the mid bass hump? Also which do you prefer and why exactly?

I am asking since I have found my choice in IEM and my taste in sound to concur with you time and again.

May 11, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #39 of 58
Quote:

Does the westone 3 have the mid bass hump? Also which do you prefer and why exactly?

I am asking since I have found my choice in IEM and my taste in sound to concur with you time and again.

To my ears, Westone 3 didn't have a mid bass hump, but it did have a significant upper bass/low midrange hump for me when I used it with the stock medium grey silicones.

May 11, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #40 of 58
Quote:

Hmmmm....and I'll piggyback on what Pianist said. I'm not sure exactly where the hump occurs but I find it quite annoying, particularly if you tend to listen at louder volumes like I do. I find that the bass hump engulfs too much of the overall presentation. The overall presentation is a little too robust and muscular sounding for my tastes. The treble is very detailed but it is a bit fatiguing on the ears (much like Super Fi Pro actually). I found both traits a little difficult to tame with EQ. It is what it is. Can only do so much. Also something a little funny in the midrange. Many dispute this but I find it recessed and I much prefered vocals with UM2 over W3. To my ears the frequency response sounds V-shaped. W3 does NOT follow any traits that UM2 does. I think it sounds more like an improved Super Fi Pro.

(comparisons to UM2 and SE530)
I much prefer UM3X. Somewhat similar to UM2 (as I described a few posts above) but a huge upgrade in that the bass is not bloated or muddy. Just as big as UM2 but it's tighter and it extends deep. Very similar midrange to UM2 but treble much more detailed but it does it with a very non-fatiguing smoothness and this is where it undisputable kills W3 IMHO. There was a poster a few days ago giving first impressions of UM3X and he basically said it was SE530 with better treble. While that's true I think it is an oversimplification. There is a small problem with SE530 treble partially because the midrange is so pronounced. So by UM3X improving in this area you are almost fixing or improving both the midrange and treble over SE530. Bass is pretty even for both but I find the Westone to have a better overall naturalness and smoothness that I prefer over the Shure sound. If you have heard UM2, you know what I am talking about. Some people may only percieve a small improvement from SE530 to UM3X but I don't think there is any denying the UM3X does indeed sound better.

I tend to listen at fairly loud volumes. Sorry, I just get into the music that much.
o2smile.gif
I listen to different types of jazz, acoustic, rock, fusion and some vocal stuff. Lots of drums and percussion so I need to hear the great detail great decay/timbre of all pieces but in a smooth and non-fatiguing way. It always seemed like a trade-off. If you want lots of detail you must deal with fatigue. Or if you want smoothness you must forego some detail. UM3X is first IEM I heard that does both exceptionally well. No tradeoff.

May 11, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #42 of 58
Spyro, when you talk about the W3 mid bass hump, is that your view since you got the correct fit? I know you heard the hump the first time round, but I thought you reviewed them again after getting a better fit, and it disappeared. If I got that wrong, just ignore me. Sometimes I imagine I've read something when I haven't
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #43 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spyro, when you talk about the W3 mid bass hump, is that your view since you got the correct fit? I know you heard the hump the first time round, but I thought you reviewed them again after getting a better fit, and it disappeared. If I got that wrong, just ignore me. Sometimes I imagine I've read something when I haven't
smily_headphones1.gif

No, you are somewhat accurate. Second time around with more fitting experiments I think I minimized it a bit but all in all, I think it is still there and after a while it starts bothering me again. But it's not totally a fit issue. I believe Westone acknowledged themselves that the W3 purposely had this bass hump built in because (supposedly) many casual listeners like the "boomy" effect particularly with today's recorded music.

May 12, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #44 of 58
Re mid-bass hump, I guess I don't know what to listen for, because there are no humps, mid-bass or otherwise, when I hear the W3s with the tri-flanges. Just a little veil on the higher end that I resolve via EQ. Guess sometimes it's good to be one of the great unwashed (i.e., casual listener).

May 12, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #45 of 58
If you can't hear it, that's good. Sounds like you have been able to tweak your W3 to perfection.

A mid-bass hump basically means that around the part of the frequency spectrum where the upper reaches of the bass reach the lower reaches of the mids, that there is a significant boost in volume of sound reproduction here (compared to the neighbouring frequencies) causing this part of the frequency spectrum to stand out and strike the listener with notable prominence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back