Upgrading from Sennheiser EH350, any good suggestions?
Jun 12, 2013 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dumbttt

New Head-Fier
Need to replace my Sennheiser EH350 since the cables are broken.  I am generally happy with the sound quality of EH350, just wish it could have been a little more comfortable on the ears.  I don't do any audio-related work, headphone is strictly for listening to musics, watching TV shows, etc on my PC.  My PC has onboard sound card.  

I am considering the Audio Technica brand of headphones, the M30, M40 and M50.  Please also suggest any alternatives.  Primary considerations are: 

- comfort (prefer large cups that go around the ears rather than sitting on the ears as the EH350) 
- noise isolation (prefer good isolation) 
- sound quality (would need to be a step up from EH350, the EH350 cost about $50) 
(can't find EH350 on Sennheiser's website, but it looks identical to this:
http://en-de.sennheiser.com/stereo-headphones-closed-headphones-hd-203 ) 
- budget (about $150, prefer to keep it down around $70) 
- prefer headphones that doesn't need amps 

Jun 12, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 3
Give us a budget.

Here is what I went to from the EH350.

ATH-M50
Denon AH-D2000
LCD-2
LCD-3

Another good headphone that is also inexpensive is the Philips Cityscape Downtown.  It will have a more bassy sound signature and is sealed.

I think the ATH-M50 is a great choice.  The sound signature takes a while to get used to because it is pretty neutral sounding, but once you brain has time to adjust it is one of the best headphones below $200.

Jun 12, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 3
Budget would be around $150 or so.  M50 would be close enough for this budget.  I prefer to go for something more like $75, but could spend up to budget for the right headphone.  I would be happy with something that sounds better that EH350, and more comfortable.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back