Need to replace my Sennheiser EH350 since the cables are broken. I am generally happy with the sound quality of EH350, just wish it could have been a little more comfortable on the ears. I don't do any audio-related work, headphone is strictly for listening to musics, watching TV shows, etc on my PC. My PC has onboard sound card.
I am considering the Audio Technica brand of headphones, the M30, M40 and M50. Please also suggest any alternatives. Primary considerations are:
- comfort (prefer large cups that go around the ears rather than sitting on the ears as the EH350)
- noise isolation (prefer good isolation)
- sound quality (would need to be a step up from EH350, the EH350 cost about $50)
(can't find EH350 on Sennheiser's website, but it looks identical to this: http://en-de.sennheiser.com/stereo-headphones-closed-headphones-hd-203 )
- budget (about $150, prefer to keep it down around $70)
- prefer headphones that doesn't need amps
Another good headphone that is also inexpensive is the Philips Cityscape Downtown. It will have a more bassy sound signature and is sealed.
I think the ATH-M50 is a great choice. The sound signature takes a while to get used to because it is pretty neutral sounding, but once you brain has time to adjust it is one of the best headphones below $200.
Budget would be around $150 or so. M50 would be close enough for this budget. I prefer to go for something more like $75, but could spend up to budget for the right headphone. I would be happy with something that sounds better that EH350, and more comfortable.