Upgrading from HD600 to either Arya V3,HD800s,LCD-X,MM500,Focal Clear,Aeon Noire? Need help with choosing.
Dec 26, 2022 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

DmitriWolts

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!
I have been enjoying my beloved HD600 for a while now, and they are almost perfect to me, but i itch for more technicalities, a planar HD600 if that can be achieved.

I have sort of tried some of the cans mentioned, i had owned the OG HD800, i loved the technicalities, the pinpoint imaging of it but the lack of bass sucked the pleasure/fun of music and messing around with EQ kind of killed the soundstage and the tuning balance.
I was lucky to meet some one near me that had both Arya V3 and the original Aeon Flow Closed from 2018, they ware both powered by Dx3 Pro+, the first thing i noticed on Aryas was the overpowering treble, everything sounded sharp and thin, I'm not super sensitive to treble but in that moment it made HD800 sound smooth as butter. As for OG Aeons they sounded very compressed/congested with no punch, limp. I'm not sure if both of them ware underpowered or they just don't suit me but i left unimpressed.

I was considering getting either Arya V3 because everyone is recommending them, maybe i should give them a 2nd chance to impress me.
I keep hearing that Focal Clears are the direct upgrade to hd600, but i am very skeptical of the quality of the pads that degrade very fast, flimsy headband and clipping drivers keep me away from Focal.
LCD-X seems like a good punchy planar that can be EQd to sound however you want but the weight and comfort seem to be a deal breaker for long listening sessions.
MM500 seems like a planar hd650, but there is so little buzz around it and the existing reviews seem to be either mixed or unimpressed, so its a wild guess.
I am considering Aeon Noires as well because i have read that the limpness of the original aeons is fixed with noires, and they seem to be Harman tuned which is close enough to hd600s plus isolation since they are closed back.
As for HD800s it seems like the next step up from 600s if i want to stick with Sennheiser tasty mids, but i am unsure if i can get used to the lack of bass that many have said that they lack.

In conclusion i wanted to ask for your experiences with the headphones mentioned above and if the planar HD600 can be achieved by any of them and what would you recommend to me or do in my shoes.
My chain is FLACs, MP3s -> D10 Balanced -> Schiit Magnius, i listen to mainly Metal, Folk, EDM, Orchestral, Ambient, OSTs.

Thank you all in advance!

Dec 26, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 22
The Clear doesn't sound like an HD600 to me.

A better option for you might be the ZMF Auteur, but it's not a planar.

Dec 26, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 22
HE-500, Closest to 600 (rich balanced sound) but better everywhere. Better technicalities, soundstage, bass extension, detail, separation, imaging - you name it. Has beautiful mids like the HD600. I still enjoy my 600 for its intimate rich sound and it is among my favorites, but it is not up there like the 500. It is with vocals, but that's the 600's area of excellence.

The 500 is probably the best headphone I have ever owned in my 10 years here - I'm just not sure how it can get much better than them.

As long as you have about a 2 watt amp into 50 ohms, you're good to go.

The newer hifiman headphones may be even more resolving but the older ones have the bass impact that seems to be missing from the newer ones. They also have amazing imaging. Prefer what they do with those cups to the bigger egg cups.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #4 of 22
I believe I've been the biggest booster of the HE-500 around here for the past 4 years. On SS gear I like the 500 more than the HD-600, as long as it has the fuzzor mod, DCA Ether Angled pads, O2 free cable, no rear grills, and parametric EQ. ~$400 for a used pair (up to 12 years old - eek), $250 for the mods (assuming the cable is not DIY, and you can secure the parametric EQ via digital streaming or PC). Stock the 500 bass has very nice timbre, but it is a bit slow. There are cancellations, and early reflections off the stators that only the fuzzor mod can mitigate but not cure. Steep, narrow EQ (only a parametric can do) tames the ringing at 3.5, 6.2k, 9.2k, but again its a mitigation. I know the CSD is

However, the HE-6 SE v2 is clearly more technical, has better bass impact, and is way better under 50 Hz. It also needs better pads and cables, and yes better with the screens off - from Adorama that is roughly the same cost. But you will need the 2 wpc @ 50 ohms, the 500 is good with 1 wpc @ 38 ohms. But, the HE-6 SE v2 will be new and under a warranty.

Arya v3 - Very impressive, but its at the absolute apex of how bright a can can be IMO. It really needs something like a ladder DAC and/or a tube or tube hybrid to keep it from going over the edge.

ZMF - Like the Audeze LCD-4 in terms of the velvet glove/leather chair comforting warm sound - but, not neutral and IMO ZMF are overpriced The HFM HEK v2 @ $2k, or the Arya v3 with the right equipment work better for me than ZMF's - but are not as pretty.

If you want the best out of the the HD-600 and other high impedance cans (300 and over) which includes the ZMF, and the HD-800 consider getting an OTL amp - the XDU00 TA-26 ($319 new) with moderate tube rolling is the cheap and easy OTL tube amp choice. I think my very overbuilt BHCs is better, but, I spent $500 on it (caps, vol pot, etc.) over the kit price, and you have to build it.

Dec 26, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 22
I believe I've been the biggest booster of the HE-500 around here for the past 4 years. On SS gear I like the 500 more than the HD-600, as long as it has the fuzzor mod, DCA Ether Angled pads, O2 free cable, no rear grills, and parametric EQ. ~$400 for a used pair (up to 12 years old - eek), $250 for the mods (assuming the cable is not DIY, and you can secure the parametric EQ via digital streaming or PC). Stock the 500 bass has very nice timbre, but it is a bit slow. There are cancellations, and early reflections off the stators that only the fuzzor mod can mitigate but not cure. Steep, narrow EQ (only a parametric can do) tames the ringing at 3.5, 6.2k, 9.2k, but again its a mitigation. I know the CSD is

However, the HE-6 SE v2 is clearly more technical, has better bass impact, and is way better under 50 Hz. It also needs better pads and cables, and yes better with the screens off - from Adorama that is roughly the same cost. But you will need the 2 wpc @ 50 ohms, the 500 is good with 1 wpc @ 38 ohms. But, the HE-6 SE v2 will be new and under a warranty.

Arya v3 - Very impressive, but its at the absolute apex of how bright a can can be IMO. It really needs something like a ladder DAC and/or a tube or tube hybrid to keep it from going over the edge.

ZMF - Like the Audeze LCD-4 in terms of the velvet glove/leather chair comforting warm sound - but, not neutral and IMO ZMF are overpriced The HFM HEK v2 @ $2k, or the Arya v3 with the right equipment work better for me than ZMF's - but are not as pretty.

If you want the best out of the the HD-600 and other high impedance cans (300 and over) which includes the ZMF, and the HD-800 consider getting an OTL amp - the XDU00 TA-26 ($319 new) with moderate tube rolling is the cheap and easy OTL tube amp choice. I think my very overbuilt BHCs is better, but, I spent $500 on it (caps, vol pot, etc.) over the kit price, and you have to build it.
Interesting write up, much appreciated.
I have been thinking about he6v2 as well since its the most dynamic and not treble focused out of all hifiman with sundara pads and open grill and i would be able to drive it with my Magnius. I'm curious how does it compete with Aryas, lcd-x and focal clears?
I have tried a couple of hifimans (Arya v3 and XS) and i absolutely hate the hole in upper mids at around 2khz and overly spicy treble, i even preferred original HD800 unmoded to aryas treble, do HE6v2 fall in the same category, from FR point of view they are close to hd600 but I'm not sure how it translates to listening itself.
Dynamics are important to me as it gives music body and "alive" feeling, at least to me.
ZMF are out of question for me as the price is way too hard to swallow, 1k is max i would spend sober.

Dec 26, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #6 of 22
The HE6SE v2 also doesn't sound like an HD600. The Arya Stealth is a more cohesive sounding headphone--not saying the HE6SE v2 doesn't have its merits, because when driven properly, it excels at certain things and has greater bass impact and perceived speed than the Arya.

I sold my HE6SE v2 and kept the Quad ERA-1... it doesn't hit as hard, but I found it more natural sounding. Some say it's along the lines of the HE-500.

Dec 26, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 22
You may actually like the RAD-0. I've tried HE6SEv2, Arya V2 and the RAD-0 is closer to what you're describing/seeking.
(likely wouldn't be great for orchestral, but I've not heard better for Metal and EDM)

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #8 of 22
You may actually like the RAD-0. I've tried HE6SEv2, Arya V2 and the RAD-0 is closer to what you're describing/seeking.
(likely wouldn't be great for orchestral, but I've not heard better for Metal and EDM)
Just saw your budget. If you can stretch to 1500, you'd be in business.

Dec 26, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #9 of 22
Great headphones but $1K budget.

Dec 26, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #10 of 22
My chain is FLACs, MP3s -> D10 Balanced -> Schiit Magnius, i listen to mainly Metal, Folk, EDM, Orchestral, Ambient, OSTs.

Thank you all in advance!
An observation first. I have not found headphones that work well for both metal, and folk...
I've gone through my planar phone phase and are now enjoying AT ATH-2000 phones.
I've no experience with Arya or Focal.
Thoughts. Weight matters. The Audeze LCD-X are heavy compared to the Senns. I haven't tried MM-500, but have LCD-5 and those are much more comfortable, so that maybe also true of MM-500.
My gut feeling is planars are a bit fussy to drive. My AT and the Sennheisers I've owner didn't seem to care that much.
Aeon Noires are closed, so will be a different experience. Personally found I didn't like closed.
I suspect if I was to do over I'd just keep my Sennheiser HD800s phones which sound great and are very comfortable.

Dec 26, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #13 of 22
An observation first. I have not found headphones that work well for both metal, and folk...
I've gone through my planar phone phase and are now enjoying AT ATH-2000 phones.
I've no experience with Arya or Focal.
Thoughts. Weight matters. The Audeze LCD-X are heavy compared to the Senns. I haven't tried MM-500, but have LCD-5 and those are much more comfortable, so that maybe also true of MM-500.
My gut feeling is planars are a bit fussy to drive. My AT and the Sennheisers I've owner didn't seem to care that much.
Aeon Noires are closed, so will be a different experience. Personally found I didn't like closed.
I suspect if I was to do over I'd just keep my Sennheiser HD800s phones which sound great and are very comfortable.
I am willing to sacrifice some genera compatibility if a set can do the rest of them.
I had owned OG HD800 and i couldn't get the bass to sound right, with EQ it for some reason made it sound bloated even if i was boosting under 100hz by 4db, they seemed to be a 1 trick pony that focused mostly on analytical diffuse field for orchestral and ambient music, i don't listen to orchestral that often so it doesn't seem to fit my goal, i was mainly curious if maybe its possible to give them more body in low end but it seems that they ware build to reduce unwanted vibrations/rumble.
As for planar drivers, i just cant seem to settle for dynamics, planars seem to do layering/separation of instruments better, hence why I'm am trying to figure out how to achieve close enough sound signature of HD600 with technicalities of planars.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #14 of 22
I am willing to sacrifice some genera compatibility if a set can do the rest of them.
I had owned OG HD800 and i couldn't get the bass to sound right, with EQ it for some reason made it sound bloated even if i was boosting under 100hz by 4db, they seemed to be a 1 trick pony that focused mostly on analytical diffuse field for orchestral and ambient music, i don't listen to orchestral that often so it doesn't seem to fit my goal, i was mainly curious if maybe its possible to give them more body in low end but it seems that they ware build to reduce unwanted vibrations/rumble.
As for planar drivers, i just cant seem to settle for dynamics, planars seem to do layering/separation of instruments better, hence why I'm am trying to figure out how to achieve close enough sound signature of HD600 with technicalities of planars.
I think other than weight the Audeze might work. You might look for some flavor of LCD-2, instead of X. I had LCD-2c which sounded very good, but I found weight was a issue for extended listening. And since I use headphones for movies, and 2+ hour session is not uncommon.

Dec 26, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #15 of 22
Interesting write up, much appreciated.
I have been thinking about he6v2 as well since its the most dynamic and not treble focused out of all hifiman with sundara pads and open grill and i would be able to drive it with my Magnius. I'm curious how does it compete with Aryas, lcd-x and focal clears?

LCD X-2021 is a very fine can, but its well more $. I think either 6 SE is better than the first 2 Arya's. Like I said, in a carefully arranged system the Arya 3 can be really good. The OG Clear at the OG price was a good get, but, now its over priced IMO.
I have tried a couple of hifimans (Arya v3 and XS) and i absolutely hate the hole in upper mids at around 2khz and overly spicy treble, i even preferred original HD800 unmoded to aryas treble, do HE6v2 fall in the same category, from FR point of view they are close to hd600 but I'm not sure how it translates to listening itself.
Dynamics are important to me as it gives music body and "alive" feeling, at least to me.
ZMF are out of question for me as the price is way too hard to swallow, 1k is max i would spend sober.
Yes, most HFM have a hole at 1.8k give or take. The HE-SE 6 SE v2 has a bit less than some others. If its a real problem and you can't or don't want to use EQ, then that may be a deal breaker. Same for the treble. I think its less annoying than any Arya or the or HEK SE.

I think you really ought to try a cheap OTL amp, they do amazing things for the 600. I have heard my 600 on some of the best SS gear available - and they all sound fey compared to the 3 OTL amps I have tried - Bottlehead Crack stock, Bottlehead Crack Speedball with mods, and just the other day the TA-26. I'm quite sure the 600 and 800 were designed using OTL amps (at least in part). You could also afford an alternate can to the 600 (more bass, more dynamic), and an amp.... BTW on my OTL amp the 35-70 Hz bass of the 600 is enhanced, and a subtle +2 bass shelf at 45 Hz pretty much makes you forget wanting more bass for acoustic instruments.

The LCD-2's have some deep timbre bass, but have a very laid back upper mid/lower treble that make HFM's seem over agressive, and they also go down over 10k way too much for me. The LCD-3 is even more not to my taste in the mids and treble but the bass is something. The LCD-4 is a real favorite of mine but its too expensive used for you.

Used Quads as another poster mentioned are quite nice if you can locate them, but the cups are too small for my giant ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back