Upgrading from CKS70? (No IE8, detailed why inside).
Sep 24, 2010 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Dregur

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade from a pair of CKS70 that I've been using for almost a year. I like the soundstage, sound signature and the amount of bass, but I would think there would be something with better clarity. I mostly listen to Rock/Acoustic Rock, but pretty much listen to everything but country. I have a pair of Eterna's, which I actually prefer sound-wise, but I found that I don't like the over the ear style IEM's, as I've started growing out my hair a little bit, and it's a bit of a hassle to put them in and take them out. I mostly listen to music on my computer through an X-Fi Creative USB sound card, and a Zune HD. My budget is around 200 dollars, give and take 50 dollars if it's really worth it.

The reason I won't buy the IE8 is that I actually have a pair...that are broken. The customer support from Sennheiser completely ignored my e-mails, and I was never able to get them fixed/replaced. I'd rather not have to deal with that again, especially how much I had paid for them and how long they lasted (6 months), even while babying them.

I've searched through countless threads, but trying to catch up in the headphone world after almost a year layoff is a daunting task, so any help would be appreciated.

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 7
I have the CKS70, and I can tell you that a great logical upgrade would be the Radius HP-TWF11R Pro (also referred to as the DDM's on this forum.) While they won't have the sheer amount of ear punching bass that the CKS70's have, they still have similar amounts - with a far more exquisite texture, better imaging than the CKS70 and far and away more balanced. Plus, they are $50 dollars under your budget
biggrin.gif
They are probably your best option in terms of the sound signature (dynamic driver, bassy) you are looking for within your price range.

The only question is fit, since a lot of people find them uncomfortable. Since you seem to live pretty happily with the CKS70, I would venture to say you'd be pretty happy. Isolation isn't fantastic but since you are using them at home it doesn't sound like an issue for you. 

Sep 24, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the response. I should say, I apparently have very large ears, as something like the CKS70 fits perfectly, and I find them incredibly comfortable. I am curious if the Radius DDM would fit the same.

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 7
I'll second the DDM recommendation. It is a clear upgrade from CKS70.

Sep 30, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 7
After reading a bunch more reviews, I don't think I can pull the trigger on the DDM's, the fit scares me a bit, and after struggling with the fit of the Custom 3's, I really don't want to deal with that again. I appreciate the suggestions, but I'm now contemplating something like the HJE900 or Turbine Gold's. Or if the the CK10's ever dropped to $200...

Oct 1, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #7 of 7
I also recommend  the DDM, few members here had some love-hate relationship with them but most of us have gotten used to its Japaneses shape. despite all; In worst scenario you can sell them or perhaps return to the seller. You should ask if they do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back