Upgrades from UE SF5Pros.... ~$250-300+ Recommendations?
Apr 11, 2011 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Subatomic

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm currently thinking about upgrading my UE Super.Fi 5 Pros. I love them to bits but the cables are pretty annoying and keep failing. I'm currently using modified original cables that have had the jack resoldered on, but its still kinda annoying. I'm also finding myself getting annoyed at getting a good fit, tho i've got some Comply's on order which I have used before and know that I get a good fit with them.

So, my question is, should I stick with the SF5pros, and maybe buy a new cable like the jaben ES8s, or should I look at upgrading them?

My budget for an upgrade would be ~$250-300USD. I'd like to buy them from earphonesolutions, since they have a 15% off coupon, and I bought my UEs from them and they said they can give me a big discount since I bought my UEs from them (http://www.earphonesolutions.com/ultimate-ears-headphones.html see the writeup there, may as well see what discount they can give me, right?)

Looking for something that has excellent sound quality, better than the SF5pros, good build quality, good isolation, good bass, low microphonics and a good fit.

The music that I listen to is mostly trance/house but also a little bit of pop/rock, and maybe even for a bit of movies/tv shows/gaming? For use at home/travelling/out and about at uni and what not.

So, what should I be looking at? Maybe the Westone 2s/3s? Some type of Shures?

Thanks guys :)

Apr 11, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 9
if the sound signature is ok for you, and the problem is only in fit, maybe it would be better to make customs and re-cable them?
p.s. I'm waiting for this upgrade cable for my UE 5pro, hope it would be more comfortable.

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
if the sound signature is ok for you, and the problem is only in fit, maybe it would be better to make customs and re-cable them?
p.s. I'm waiting for this upgrade cable for my UE 5pro, hope it would be more comfortable.

Yea maybe. I just figured since the Aus $ is so strong/US $ is so weak (depending on how you look at it), and that theres a potential for big discounts from EPS I would ask.

Might run down the SF5pros until they die/fall apart and then reshell the drivers into customs and get something new when that happens.... dunno? My Complys should be getting here tomorrow so I can give them a retry and see how good a fit I can get with them, its been a while since I've used them but I remember getting a really good fit.

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 9
Right. Little bit of an update. Went to put my SF5Pros on this morning and the housing failed. The plastic bit that holds the cable in the housing has pulled out from the housing on the right bud and now doesn't make any sound.

Sigh.

Guess its time to buy a new pair then.

Does anyone think i'll be able to get any cash for the semi broken SF5pros? Or should I just get them reshelled through UM?

Failing that, I need to decide what to do, tossing up between getting them reshelled via UM (will cost ~$450, $220 for reshelling, $110 for an extra driver, $40 for artwork, $35 for cables and $55 for impressions), getting a pair of customs (UM quoted me ~$500 for the Aeros + impressions if done this week) or getting a new pair of universals (budget is probably ~$200-350/400 ish).

Aaaahhhh what on earth do I do? Halp guiz :frowning2:

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 9
Unless anyone has any more input, I think I'm going to get myself a pair of Westone 3's. Can get them for ~$300AUD delivered from Earphonesolutions.

Anyone else offer any opinions before I pull the trigger?

Thanks guys :)

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 9
Westone W3 would be a good choice for your requirements.

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Westone W3 would be a good choice for your requirements.

Thanks, thats what I was kinda thinking.... but I was wondering if I had missed anything in my consideration? Since the W3s are a few years old now, maybe something new has come along that would be worth looking at?

:)

May 2, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #8 of 9
Ended up buying a pair of Westone 3s. Just got them.

HOLY MOTHER OF BASS! Wow.... kinda overwhelming. They sound amazing though.... not sure if I like such powerful lows... oh wells, i'm sure i'll get used to them :)

Getting a good fit is a bit difficult, they are kind of an odd shape to try and push into your ears and take out again, got good fit with the long large complys tho.

Woo, i'm pretty happy :)

May 2, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 9
Glad you like your W3s.  They're still my favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back