Upgrade to Sennheiser HD650 or Grado RS2i from SR125i
May 23, 2011 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

markwilliamsweb

Head-Fier
Hello all.

This is my first post so please be gentle.

I have had a pair of Grado sr125i's for a couple of years now and like them very much. I run them off a fiio E7 amp with the bass eq set to 1. I like a nice strong bass. However sometimes I feel that the sr125's lack a bit of range. Some songs I listen to I feel don't quite have the punch I was expecting. I'm not sure if I have explained that well or even used the right terminology, so apologise if I haven't.

I am now looking to upgrade my phones to either the hd650 or rs2i. I have read lots and lots on the internet comparing the two and I know it's all down to personal taste, but I was hoping someone might have some advice for me on the two. As I have a pair of sr125i's is it worth upgrading to the rs2i or going for the completly different sound of the hd650? How does the rs2i compare to the sr125i in terms of bass, warmth and treble. I don't like too much treble, but as I said I do like the sr125i sound. I find them very exciting to listen to.

The type of music I listen to is mainly rock, electronic and a bit of classical.

Many thanks for any help in advance.

Mark

May 23, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 14
Upgrading from one Grado to another will not give you a completely different sound. It'll give you a slightly better version of the same sound.

Re. the HD650 - I don't think that'll work either. They are such different headphones. If your mind is fully used to and adjusted to the Grado mid range being very present and clear and "in-the-face" as it is - the mids may seem a bit too distant for you switching to the HD650. The HD650 is the opposite in terms of sound sig to Grado - it aims for a smooth, laid back, organic sound while Grados have a very electric and lively sound.

If you like the basic Grado sound but want more soundstage and depth, my advice would be to read the Alessandro MS1000 thread and consider going in that direction - it can probably be made to work with your SR125 with a bit of experimentation.

May 23, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the reply EddieE.

I'm not really keen on modding my SR125's, mainly because I don't have time. I have my first child on the way so things are little on the hectic side at the moment. Which is also another reason for me getting some new cans. A bit of escapism and all that.

Anyway - do you have any experience with the differences between the SR125i and the RS2i? I'm not looking for a totally different sound, but I don't want something that is too treble heavy. I've heard some say they are a bit warmer than SR125i but I've read conflicting reports on this. Basically I would plump for the RS2i if:
  • They have more bass and warmth
  • Have a slightly better soundstage
  • Have either not as much treble or about the same amount as the SR125i

Thanks again.

May 23, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #4 of 14
Unfortunately the RS2i is one of the few Grados I've never heard, someone else will have to help you out with that. What I will say is I've heard or owned the SR60/SR80/MS1/SR125/SR225/SR325/MS2i/RS1/GS1000/PS1 and the only only ones with any soundstage to speak of were the GS1000 and the MS1 when modded into an MS1000.

Have you ever heard a K701/2? They have a similar kind of bright sound to Grados (much more defined and clear though) and enormous sound stage. They're a fair bit cheaper than the RS2i as well.

They do need more amplification than the average headphones, but you could add an E9 to the E7 and still be under the price of an RS2i for the lot.

Besides that, don't think I can help much more. Good luck though.

May 23, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 14
Thanks EddieE,

Do you happen to have any experince of the Beyerdynamic DT880 or 990 at all? And if so how do they compare to the Grado's?

May 23, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 14
If you like the forward Grado sound, but want more punch, bass, warmth, definitely HF-2. I like them over my RS1i's because of that.

Look at the FS section for one, they're discontinued since beginning of this year, but you can still get them in mint condition.

May 23, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #7 of 14
If you want more bass punch, the HD650 probably won't provide it (at least not driven off an E7).

I haven't heard the SR125, but I briefly owned the SR225. I liked it enough that I bought the RS2i, which is a more refined and somewhat more versatile headphone. My only complaint about the RS Grados is that they're expensive relative to other headphones of similar audio quality. The sound signature is pretty unique, though, and hard to match elsewhere if that's what you like.

If you want strong bass, warmth, and not too much treble, the K701 is not your best bet.

The E9 is worth considering, as it may help your existing headphones.

You might also want to read about the Denon D2000. It supplanted the RS2 as my work headphone. I think the D2000 is as good as the RS2 in absolute terms, far more comfortable, far cheaper, and handles a greater variety of genres. Of course, the Denon's sound signature is more neutral than the Grados, so you sacrifice some of the fun factor.

May 23, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #8 of 14
Thank you everyone for your advice.

I think I have made a decision, errmmm I think! I may go for the Beyerdynamic DT990 as from what I've read they have a similarish sparkle to the Grados but a better soundstage and deeper bass. I'll also get a fiio E9 to accompany my E7. That way I also still have the SR125i's to use with E7 and Eq'd bass.

Does anyone have any thoughts about that choice, it's a bit of a jump from what I originally posted about?

May 23, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 14
I found the DT990s to be veerry veerrry bassy when I trialed them, but still quite hot in the treble (all the beyers are a little, but not so much I still don't like them a lot).

The DT880 is a much more refined beast, will offer you the sound stage gains you were looking for and has more controlled bass and less out of control treble than the DT880. Admittedly my experience of the DT990 has been a quick audition and I've encountered the DT880 a few times, but my impression is definitely that the DT880 is the better of the pair.

Graphs can be misleading, and often innacurate, but this might help to get a general idea:

The DT880 is the best behaved of those headphones. I'd recommend it out of the two.

May 24, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #10 of 14
Thanks for the graph EddieE, it was very interesting.

Right, inspired by wilyodysseus, I have just placed an order for some Denon AHD5000's. I read some rave reviews for them and although I know some don't approve I am really looking forward to giving these a go.

Thanks for all your advice chaps, I'll post my thoughts on them once I've had a good listen.

What a great forum.

May 28, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #11 of 14
I've now got my Denon AHD5000 cans and they are so much better than my SR125's. The detail in the music is awesome and some of the songs I hear stuff that I've never heard before. Some people say the bass is too heavy and bloated. I don't get that, in fact the bass isn't the heavy at all I think. The only thing I find is that on certain songs I find the treble a tad too much, which is odd since I'm coming from Grados.

One question I have is about my DAC and AMP. I have a Fiio E7 and E9 combo and checking the specs it says that the Frequency Response is 10hz - 100,000hz. Where as the AHD5000 Frequency Response is 5hz - 45,000hz. As the AMP seems to come up short at the lower end, what effect, if any would this have on the headphones sound?

May 28, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 14
Human hearing typically begins as low as 20 Hz, though exceptional individuals under ideal conditions may be able to hear down to 12 Hz. The published frequency response of your gear is not a problem.

May 30, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 14
I think no matter what headphone I'm currently into, I could never not have a set of grados.  I also have hd650;s which I like but I can't listen to them after the grados because then they sound muted and lifeless.  Plus, the 650s can sound good with the e7 but they'll frequently run out of umph. (though the e9/e11 is a cheap fix to that). But good luck with the AHDs.

May 31, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #14 of 14
Howdy, Grado nut here. Are you looking to get more of what you like now, or completely try to swap into something that you think will just blow you off your feet?

I suggest if you have the credit card for it, just order both and return the one you don't like after gently auditioning it. Buy them off a head-fier who's willing to do this for you. I conveniently have this place nearby that lets me audition cans so I can tell you that I personally would be all over the RS-2. I have a friend I met on Head-fi who owns HD-600s and I got him into Grados, mainly the Ally MS2i, and it easily gives the Senn a run for it's money in the detail, attack, mid, and treble arena. Obviously the Senn is tolerable for longer listening periods, but he's definitely intrigued by the brand lately!

"Hi Chris

I've attached a few quick pics of the MS2i before I go out this evening.  I only listened to 'Jesus to a Child' by George Michael - I first listened with the HD 600 and then the MS2i.

The MS2i was much clearer and transparent.  Bass was good and treble very good.  The HD 600 was not as detailed but more balanced and you could listen to them for 2 hours easily without fatigue.  I think about 30 minutes would be enough with the MS2i, although the clarity on some songs (eg Chris Rea - Loves Strange Ways) is amazing. 

I played the Grados through my Matrix Mini-i and M-Stage combo and it sounds really good!!

I have to shoot off now but I'll give you more feedback later or tomorrow.  The pads need replacing as these fine specks of cushion are coming off like dust!

Let me know what you think"

He's now fully adjusted to Grado sound I'm assuming, everybody goes through that treble fatigue for the first week or so. It feels pretty good to get someone else into the cans you love! He has rather good taste in music too as you can see!

Ok but honestly if you want my recommendation, I'm gonna throw you a curve ball here, go grab the Moon Audio Black Dragon recabled SR-325i. I don't know how into the wood you are on the RS-2, but I am a huge fan of Moon Audio cables and the work they do there, and their stuff is quite serious sounding. One of my neighbors got the GS-1000s cabled in that stuff and it's clearly worth the money and they're good people there!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back