Upgrade: Sennheiser HD 25-1 MK 2 , Allen & Heath XD 53 , Technics RP-DH1200, etc
Mar 5, 2011 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

SoulStand

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, just bumped into this site while researching for headphone info

Planning on upgrading some DJ headphones but still very indecisive about which one to choose out of the bunch.  Right now i have the Sennheiser HD-25 SP...haha.  I've taken into consideration about the basic necessities for DJ headphones, durability, sound quality, comfort.  I think I've done enough research to pick but still waiting for that perfect reason for me to seal the deal.  I rarely DJ out (hard to get gigs), so i mainly DJ at home but i also produce.  I need some suggestions from people who have owned these headphones to get a more in depth/detailed reference, some of you guys might have the same preferences as me so it would be helpful.  I considered buying two sets of headphones 1 for DJing 1 for production, but it seems i cannot afford that at the moment so for now i need a pair that will definitely be able to suffice for both my needs.  My main issue is with the frequency range of the HD 25's and not being able to mix properly, or being able to experience more out of my music(listen to every genre, mix mainly electronic music).  I read that they have flat response and all round produce high levels of balance from Hi's to Low's.  From what i can hear right now with the HD 25 SP's is that the sounds are definitely limited (30hz-16khz), bass has no punch but decent umph (but that's also because of the isolation), hard to distinguish instruments and the frequencies( seems as if the sound isn't spread out).  I only got to test out the HDJ2000 and i have to say, they aren't good, absolutely no bass even when i push the headphones against my ears.  Definitely would not spend $300 for them.  What i loved about them were the clarity and distinct mid and highs, and feel when synths were entering.  I need a pair of headphones that give me that warmth and clarity that fit my needs of a DJ/Producer(Studio Monitoring) but i'm not too sure how the HD25-1 MK2 or XONE XD 53 will be like.

***Supposedly it is better to upgrade the cable for the HD 25?

Please feel free to take some time and give some suggestion, Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back