Upgrade IEM from SF3 for ~$150? PFE, Atrio, Custom 3, C751, RE0, Turbine?, W1?
May 14, 2010 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kmactavi

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've been using UE Super.fi 3s for the last couple years after doing a lot of reading on this forum. I think they were around $120 when I bought them. Now the cabling is going (left has to be in a certain position or it cuts out), and I'm looking to upgrade.

I'm normally listening with an ipod, but I'll probably pick up a clip+ soon.

I listen to a wide variety of music, rock/acoustic/pop (top100)/indie. Here are some of the more common bands I listen to:
Coldplay, Anberlin, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jack Johnson, Oasis, Counting Crows, Tom Petty, REM, Dispatch, Jars of Clay, Snow Patrol, Radiohead, Keane, The Fray.

Here are my thoughts on the SF3s so you know where I'm coming from.
(First informed IEMs I've owned, so I can't compare too much)
I find when I'm walking or moving, the seal breaks very easily. I use them a lot walking, busses, etc.; so that's a problem.
SQ with proper seal: Fairly well balanced, bass is present but not overpowering, highs a little rolled off, not a lot of clarity in the highs, vocals very present (which I like).
SQ with poor seal: No bass, forward highs, no good. This happens a lot and I have to readjust them often.

I'm looking for an earphone that is well balanced. Ideally it would be the IE8s, but I'm not willing to spend that much on earphones right now. I'm not looking for tons of bass, but I want it to be there. I want detail, but not so much that it's not a 'fun', mildly warm earphone. So basically IE8s on a budget :p. I'm willing to spend ~$150, but value matters, so the Denons might win at $75.

Here's what I'm looking at to replace them. This list is roughly put together for my own purposes and incomplete. NOTE: I'm mainly looking to knock earphones OFF this list, not add them. I've spent many hours looking for candidates, but if you think that I missed one that beats out all of the candidates, suggest it.

Update: The entries I'm currently considering are c751 + R03s (buying both), with the PFEs, and RE0 coming close behind.

I'm a little worried about the bad cord/build quality of the custom 3s, I would want them to last, and I use them a lot.
I'm hesitant about the Monsters, I think they might have too much bass for me.
The Q-Jays looked not too bad, but I think there are better options.
The Westone 1s I have not found reviewed enough, and I want something that has stood the rigorous testing of this forum.
The SA6, S4, HF5, Eterna, Etys, I think that there are better options for my taste.

V column is value, SQ is relative sound quality,

V SQ $$$$ NAME NOTES
8 95 $140 Phonak PFE LOTS of good reviews, very detailed, forward highs
7 90 $180 Jays Q-Jays Some say beat out by PFE
7 85 $180 Future Sonics Atrio M5 +bass, less clarity than PFE. Similar Cust3s
7 85 $130 Klipsch Custom 3 PFEs more clarity, bad cable, +bass, bad seal, balanced!
? ?? $140 Westone 1 Flatter than the c751, not reviewed enough
# -- $130 Sleek Audio SA6 Bland, not a fun earphone? Better options?
5 60 $ 60 Denon c551 Muddy, heavy bass
9 85 $ 75 Denon c751 ++++++ List $200, Good value, TONS OF GOOD REVIEWS!
5 65 $ 80 Klipsch Image S4 Better Bass than RE0 and HF5. This is necessary for me...
4 75 $120 Etymotic HF5 Better isolation than RE0 and S4
7 75 $ 80 Head Direct RE0 Great clarity & transparency, no bass, Beats ER6i

8 70 $ 50 Visang R03 Similar to c751, budget, well recommended.
6 65 $ 80 Fischer Audio Eterna Good?
3 60 $175 Etymotic ER4P Too faithful, fatiguing, no bass, no comfort, good iso
# -- $150 Etymotic ER4S Good?
6 80 $110 Monster Turbine HEAPS of bass, lacking detail, beat by Custom 3s/Atrio?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice! (sorry for the excessively long post)

Kirk

May 14, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #3 of 12
r03 (m2) could be your answer? I know you don't want to add another IEM, but you also said you prefer value as well.

at $50 and better than S4, you might want to consider that. it seems its the signature you want

(I'm still waiting for the preorder delivery)

May 14, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
r03 (m2) could be your answer? I know you don't want to add another IEM, but you also said you prefer value as well.

at $50 and better than S4, you might want to consider that. it seems its the signature you want

(I'm still waiting for the preorder delivery)

Thanks for the heads up on the R03s. Buying both the c751s and R03s together is within my budget, very tempting. I think that that's what I'll do, unless someone convinces me that I'm better off with the PFEs or RE0s. I think the Atrios will be a bit too bass heavy for me.

May 14, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 12
The Denon C751 is kind of a poor man's IE8.  I would lean more towards the Custom 3 however.  The cable isn't functionally bad nor breaks.  It's just that it's thin and tangly, and that's annoying.  It's very well balanced, slightly warm and energetic, and the top end is well presented but not forward.

May 15, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 12
I found some IE7s for ~$100 on Ebay, I'm guessing they're fake? Or have IE7s come down that low in price?

Also, the Sleek SA6s have seemed to come down in price (with legitimate dealers) so they're in the running.

At this stage, for me,

Detailed (Neutral): PFE beats the RE0, Etys, and Q-Jay.
Balanced: Custom 3 beats c751 and the R03/M2.
Musical (+bass): SA6 beats Atrio, VB, Turbine and S4.

I'm in Australia right now, and will be back in Canada in a few months. I think that I'll buy a cheaper one now (prices are terrible here) and buy a better quality earphone when I get back.

I'm either going to buy (1) RE0 now and Custom 3 or SA6 when I get home;
OR (2) Hippo VB now (since brainwavz M2 isn't out yet) and PFEs when I get home.

Thoughts? Custom 3 or SA6 (similar prices ~$30 different)? Combination 1 or 2?

Thanks for the help so far!

May 16, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 12
So I went with the RE0s and a FIIO E5 ($15). Probably not what I'll end up with in the long term, but they're popular and compared a lot, giving me a reference for future purchases. Hopefully a step up from my SF3s.

Cheers

May 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 12
If it is not too late. look at Fischer Audio DBA-02.
And I think SA6 is the best from your list.

May 17, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #10 of 12
@ OP: RE0 is an excellent choice - they are a very significant upgrade over Super.fi 3 in overall balance, extension and detail resolution. Enjoy.
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
So I went with the RE0s and a FIIO E5 ($15). Probably not what I'll end up with in the long term, but they're popular and compared a lot, giving me a reference for future purchases. Hopefully a step up from my SF3s.

Cheers

In my opinion, dont turn on the bass boost on the e5. It will take away much of what defines the RE0 (aka the highs). Also give yourself time to adjust to their sound signature. Don't forget that bass becomes significantly better after 100-150+ hours. If you can give them a good burn in as you use them, it will help. See the reviews http://www.head-fi.org/products/head-direct-re0-in-ear-headphones/reviews and don't forget the mod you can do (see thread/review of re0).

May 19, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for the tips.

Just got the RE0s an hour ago, and even without the burn in already loving them compared to my SF3s. I noticed that they sound much better with a flat EQ where my SF3s benefited from the EQ since the sound quality didn't change much. RE0s have at least twice the detail, similar quantity of mid-bass, but very little sub-bass (at this point). Also, the RE0s are much less effecient than my SF3s. No issues though... Ya, I figured I'd try the E5, you can't go wrong at $15.

I appreciate the "sorry for your wallet comment" everywhere on the forums here -- I've also ordered a pair of Alessandro MS-1i full sized headphones. These are more on the coloured side than the RE0s, so I'll have a bit of both worlds.
L3000.gif

@Whitebear I determined that the SA6 were out of my price range for now (especially since I purchased the MS-1i) and I looked at the Fischer Audio reviews, but I couldn't find a supplier with cheap shipping to Australia. The Eterna and Silver Bullet caught my eye.

Cheers,

Kirk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back