Upgrade from sennheiser HD280 Pro's
May 26, 2011 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

band-aid

New Head-Fier
The right earphone in my sennheisers went out yesterday and, though I have sent them back for repairs, I will probably retire them to backup status when they return. I am willing to spend 300-350 dollars (I may go up to 400 if it's a good deal). My general knowledge of the headphone world is limited so hang with me here.

I do a LOT of gaming and listen to a good amount of music when I am trying to be productive. I listen to a very wide variety of music. It would probably be best to say the only genre I am not terribly fond of is country/western/folk/bluegrass. That said, electronic music (trance, DnB, Hardstyle, the gamut of the Digitally imported stations :)) is where I spend most of my listening time.

Here comes the hard part, environment in which I do most of my listening is quite loud at times. Good isolation is a must. I would say that the HD280's isolated about half as well as I need. For this, and other reasons, I am limiting my search to around-the-ear style headphones. I'm not sure how I feel about active noise canceling headphones.

My current setup consists of my 3 computers and my Xbox running into a mixer. My headphones are plugged into this mixer. With this setup would I still need an amp on high impedance (correct term?) headphones? Is a mixer going to prevent a higher end headset from being utilized to its fullest potential?

I also figured I should mention that I have a fairly small head/ears.

What kind of suggestions do you guys have? I am not opposed to purchasing a used set if it is a reasonable price from a reputable source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back